brugnospamsia

Owain wrote:

"Hands On" wrote
| I was told that all new houses require toughned glass
| on glass panel doors up to 80 Cm from the floor.
| Is that so?

Applies to all new / replacement windows in old houses too.

| And when did this come in?

Several years ago.

| How would I know if the glass is toughened, as I can't
| see a mark on the glass? It is a French doors type of
| door with 10 panes per dooor.

There may be an exemption for small panes like that. I'm not sure.

Owain

Sadly not as my BCO pointed out.

Damn damn and triple damn !

Here I am, starting to plan my building notice application for a new
staircase and the two lovely new Pilkington K double glazed windows I will
be demonstrating to the man from the council as upstairs fire escapes are 4
foot wide and at knee height.

Would I have got away with it if I'd left in the original 3 or 4 mm panes I
wonder ....

Neither window installer who quoted for the job mentioned the need for
toughened glass .....

Jeremy