Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 50mm fence posts and 40mm panels

Hi,

Looking at replacing the manky fence panels soon, and
during my searches I found the common size fence panel is
40mm deep. My concrete posts have a 50mm recess.

Surely this will lead to rattling in the wind, but I can't
find any spacers or brackets, or any mention of such
things.

Am I wring in thinking this is going to be a problem? Some
places only seem to stock 40mm panels, some don't mention
depth at all.

Anyone had this issue before?

Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark D wrote:

Looking at replacing the manky fence panels soon, and
during my searches I found the common size fence panel is
40mm deep. My concrete posts have a 50mm recess.

Surely this will lead to rattling in the wind, but I can't
find any spacers or brackets, or any mention of such
things.

https://amazon.co.uk/Fence-Panel-Grips/dp/B00YQ6MKQG

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124271152661
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/2021 11:35, Andy Burns wrote:
Mark D wrote:

Looking at replacing the manky fence panels soon, and
during my searches I found the common size fence panel is
40mm deep. My concrete posts have a 50mm recess.

Surely this will lead to rattling in the wind, but I can't
find any spacers or brackets, or any mention of such
things.

https://amazon.co.uk/Fence-Panel-Grips/dp/B00YQ6MKQG

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124271152661

I hvae 50 odd 40mm thick panels in slotted concrete posts....

The panels are also inherently liftable so I bought 200 odd fence panel
grips, you use one in each corner and that stops the rattling and ne-er
do wells from lifting the panel to gain access.

One issue I do find that the clips do eventually spring out onto the
ground as the wood panels swell and shrink all the time according to the
temperature and rainfall.

I fixed that by using a stapler to staple the fence clips to the wood
panels.

S.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

All these drop in panels rattle. I ended up buying a length of treated wood
and making some blocks screwed up under the rails that fit in the slots so
they tighten up the loose play in the panels, now I only had a few panels
to do, but it could be a little annoying if there are many. You might wait
and see which are the badly rattling ones and just wedge those. I just wish
that fences had a method of stopping crooks just lifting them out. OK not
easy with the big ones but possible with the normal between garden ones.
Also if you are using gravel boards of concrete or work remember the
hedgehogs and make holes every so often to let them get through.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Mark D" wrote in message
Hi,

Looking at replacing the manky fence panels soon, and
during my searches I found the common size fence panel is
40mm deep. My concrete posts have a 50mm recess.

Surely this will lead to rattling in the wind, but I can't
find any spacers or brackets, or any mention of such
things.

Am I wring in thinking this is going to be a problem? Some
places only seem to stock 40mm panels, some don't mention
depth at all.

Anyone had this issue before?

Mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Mark D wrote:

Looking at replacing the manky fence panels soon, and
during my searches I found the common size fence panel is
40mm deep. My concrete posts have a 50mm recess.

Surely this will lead to rattling in the wind, but I can't
find any spacers or brackets, or any mention of such
things.

https://amazon.co.uk/Fence-Panel-Grips/dp/B00YQ6MKQG

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124271152661

That's quick!

10mm is a reasonable clearance to allow you to hoist the panel up and
get it into the channel.

Then, you just need to put a bit of timber in to stop it rattling. Maybe
some scraps from the old panels? I suppose the fact that gizmos exist
for this particular purpose is some indication that it's a common problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

All these drop in panels rattle.

I must admit, when my neighbour fitted concrete posts and new panels,
I waited until he was out and knocked in some small wooden wedges at
the top ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
https://amazon.co.uk/Fence-Panel-Grips/dp/B00YQ6MKQG

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124271152661

Those look handy. Any preferences for the plastic or the metal spring
version? Will the plastic eventually go floppy as it ages?

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 11:26:04 +0100, Mark D wrote:

Hi,

Looking at replacing the manky fence panels soon, and during my searches
I found the common size fence panel is 40mm deep. My concrete posts have
a 50mm recess.

Surely this will lead to rattling in the wind, but I can't find any
spacers or brackets, or any mention of such things.

Am I wring in thinking this is going to be a problem? Some places only
seem to stock 40mm panels, some don't mention depth at all.

Anyone had this issue before?

Mark

I got fed up with all the rattling, wear and tear, and occasionally one
flying out in a gale.

I replaced them with 2 * 6 cut to length and then screwed vertical 2 * 2
(two per bay) to stop any rattling.
Batten along between the 2 * 2 to create a trellis to tie shrubs to.

They are now painted cream and throw a lot of light back into the garden.

Hopefully they will last a long time.
Also, hopefully, it should be relatively easy to take apart and replace
individual pieces of 2 * 6 should there be rot or damage.

A quite neighbourhood, but I don't thing the average scally will be
lifting any of those out.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/04/2021 12:26, Mark D wrote:
Hi,

Looking at replacing the manky fence panels soon, and
during my searches I found the common size fence panel is
40mm deep. My concrete posts have a 50mm recess.

Surely this will lead to rattling in the wind, but I can't
find any spacers or brackets, or any mention of such
things.

Am I wring in thinking this is going to be a problem? Some
places only seem to stock 40mm panels, some don't mention
depth at all.

Anyone had this issue before?

Mark

What about filling the gap with spray foam ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

To prevent them being lifted some people have a galvanised wire stapled to
all of the panels.