Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default 50mm fence posts and 40mm panels

On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 11:26:04 +0100, Mark D wrote:

Hi,

Looking at replacing the manky fence panels soon, and during my searches
I found the common size fence panel is 40mm deep. My concrete posts have
a 50mm recess.

Surely this will lead to rattling in the wind, but I can't find any
spacers or brackets, or any mention of such things.

Am I wring in thinking this is going to be a problem? Some places only
seem to stock 40mm panels, some don't mention depth at all.

Anyone had this issue before?

Mark

I got fed up with all the rattling, wear and tear, and occasionally one
flying out in a gale.

I replaced them with 2 * 6 cut to length and then screwed vertical 2 * 2
(two per bay) to stop any rattling.
Batten along between the 2 * 2 to create a trellis to tie shrubs to.

They are now painted cream and throw a lot of light back into the garden.

Hopefully they will last a long time.
Also, hopefully, it should be relatively easy to take apart and replace
individual pieces of 2 * 6 should there be rot or damage.

A quite neighbourhood, but I don't thing the average scally will be
lifting any of those out.

Cheers

Dave R