Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Humming LED strip light?

After being given the 4 x 6' 30W LED fluorescent tube replacements
(and Non-starter fuses) I was extra aware of the now 'unnecessary
mains hum from the fitting.

This morning I by-passed the ballast (and took the cap out while I was
there), put the tube back in, turned the light back on and the hum was
still there?! ;-(

Undid the non-starter, hum stops?

The other tube in the other fitting also hums (or that could also be /
partly the ballast that is still in circuit).

Whoever removed the LED tubes and put them in the storage unit isn't
familiar with them and must have plonked them down on their end and I
noticed that the pins on the non 'input' end of the two I hadn't used
till today have been mostly pushed inside the partly broken end cap.
;-(

Luckily they don't need to be used so I'm going to remove them
completely and re-wire the fitting further to just retain the
non-starter and the one 'live end' (I don't think I need the pins to
be able to retain the tube in the fitting) and then I can try the
remaining two tubes and if they hum or not.

Anyone else noticed hum on LED replacement tubes? The only place I can
imagine it's coming from is any electronics in the (one?) 'active' end
cap and being amplified by the batten fitting?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 13 Apr 2021 16:51:28 +0100, T i m wrote:

snip

Whoever removed the LED tubes and put them in the storage unit isn't
familiar with them and must have plonked them down on their end and I
noticed that the pins on the non 'input' end of the two I hadn't used
till today have been mostly pushed inside the partly broken end cap.
;-(

Luckily they don't need to be used so I'm going to remove them
completely and re-wire the fitting further to just retain the
non-starter and the one 'live end' (I don't think I need the pins to
be able to retain the tube in the fitting) and then I can try the
remaining two tubes and if they hum or not.

Which I did just now and unfortunately, the remaining two tubes with
the damaged pins don't still seem to work so may have suffered other
damage from the poor handling.

(If I plug the 'Input' end of the good tube into the fitting with it
live the tube now lights up with just that end connected (as
expected)).

Swapping the 'noisy' tube over to the other fitting seems to make it
slightly quieter and the quiet tube is still quiet in what was the
noisy fitting (confirming it is the tube itself).

Anyone else noticed hum on LED replacement tubes? The only place I can
imagine it's coming from is any electronics in the (one?) 'active' end
cap and being amplified by the batten fitting?

If I grip / push the cover on the noisy fitting it does indeed quieten
slightly, confirming the batten is amplifying the noise to some
degree.

I'll pick up a couple of new tubes and hope they are quiet.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

no cannot say I have heard of it as normally they use switch mode psus and
nothing else vibrates. Really you need a magnetic component at 50hz for
that noise. With regard to the broken pins, I'd be tempted to araldite them
in where they should be to stop the light working free and falling on
somebody or inside the diffuser.

Try a gentle squeeze of the plastic ends, probably wearing gloves to see if
the noise changes in character. Could there be an earth not making very good
contact between the fitting and a large bit of metal. I've noticed
electrostatic hums, though they tend to be tinny sounding and shuffling the
movable bits soon stops them.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"T i m" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Try some tightly wound duct tape around the outside of the cap, and trickle
some epoxy into the space by the pins that can work wonders, but might pong
for a little while!

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"T i m" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 16:40:38 +0100, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
wrote:

Try some tightly wound duct tape around the outside of the cap, and trickle
some epoxy into the space by the pins that can work wonders, but might pong
for a little while!

I've actually fixed it with a trip to TLC and two new LED tubes Brian.

Silence is twenty six quid it seems. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 16:38:06 +0100, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
wrote:

no cannot say I have heard of it as normally they use switch mode psus and
nothing else vibrates.Really you need a magnetic component at 50hz for
that noise.

And that's the thing, this really is (was) a real 50Hz mechanical hum.

With regard to the broken pins, I'd be tempted to araldite them
in where they should be to stop the light working free and falling on
somebody or inside the diffuser.

I've pulled them out now as the fittings seem to be dead anyway but I
do intend opening the end up a bit and see what I see. If there is
nothing that looks repairable I may try taking it to bits and seeing
if I can get the LED's out.

Try a gentle squeeze of the plastic ends, probably wearing gloves to see if
the noise changes in character.

I've done that with the entire fitting and it does seem to make a
difference so something is causing the metalwork to resonate.

Could there be an earth not making very good
contact between the fitting and a large bit of metal.

The main earth seems sound FWIW.

seems the I've noticed
electrostatic hums, though they tend to be tinny sounding and shuffling the
movable bits soon stops them.

Yeah, I was convinced this was the ballast as it sounds *exactly* like
that.

The 'free' 6' tubes were good in that they allowed me to evaluate the
idea of LED over fluorescent in that role. The chances are the tubes I
was given were fairly tired (all be it that there were still
functional when taken down) as they were originally on 8 hours a day,
6 days a week (pre lockdown) for a few years.

I believe there is a 3 yr warranty on these new tubes from TLC so
that's handy and if they actually last the 3 years, should work out
cheaper than replacing the fluorescent(s) every 6 months etc?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

All my fluoro tubes have lasted decades, not 6 months,
even with the kitchen ones that I used to leave on all day.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 05:52:27 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I believe there is a 3 yr warranty on these new tubes from TLC so
that's handy and if they actually last the 3 years, should work out
cheaper than replacing the fluorescent(s) every 6 months etc?

All my fluoro tubes have lasted decades, not 6 months,
even with the kitchen ones that I used to leave on all day.

How often you switch them off and on is what matters, senile idiot!

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 22:09:43 +0200, Peeler
wrote:

On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 05:52:27 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I believe there is a 3 yr warranty on these new tubes from TLC so
that's handy and if they actually last the 3 years, should work out
cheaper than replacing the fluorescent(s) every 6 months etc?

All my fluoro tubes have lasted decades, not 6 months,
even with the kitchen ones that I used to leave on all day.

How often you switch them off and on is what matters, senile idiot!

Given they suggest you should replace tubes fairly regularly to keep
the light levels up, Rod is either lying, not using the lights or his
generator is under running them. ;-)

It's shame there isn't a place where all these left brainers can't
just argue black is white with each other and leave the rest of us to
get on with 'ordinary' conversations.

"All my fluoro tubes have lasted decades" ... *decades* will full
brightness, amazing! ... weg

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Only a fool changes the fluoro tubes every 6 months. You qualify.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 10:54:11 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

How often you switch them off and on is what matters, senile idiot!

Given they suggest you should replace tubes fairly regularly to keep
the light levels up, Rod is either lying, not using the lights or his
generator is under running them. ;-)

It's shame there isn't a place where all these left brainers can't
just argue black is white with each other and leave the rest of us to
get on with 'ordinary' conversations.

"All my fluoro tubes have lasted decades" ... *decades* will full
brightness, amazing! ... weg

Only a fool changes the fluoro tubes every 6 months. You qualify.

Only a lying asshole, such as you are known to be, will claim that his
fluorescents lasted for DECADES (LOL!) with normal use!

--
Marland addressing senile Rodent's tall stories:
"Do you really think people believe your stories you come up with to boost
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I thought you'd claimed that all your lights went off/or on using sensors
that dedected light levels or via PIR.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

They are now. Thats why I said have lasted, not last and used to instead of
leave on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Senile Octogenarian Nym-Shifting Ozzie Cretin!

On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 04:12:26 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent