Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Humming LED strip light?

On Tue, 13 Apr 2021 16:51:28 +0100, T i m wrote:

snip

Whoever removed the LED tubes and put them in the storage unit isn't
familiar with them and must have plonked them down on their end and I
noticed that the pins on the non 'input' end of the two I hadn't used
till today have been mostly pushed inside the partly broken end cap.
;-(

Luckily they don't need to be used so I'm going to remove them
completely and re-wire the fitting further to just retain the
non-starter and the one 'live end' (I don't think I need the pins to
be able to retain the tube in the fitting) and then I can try the
remaining two tubes and if they hum or not.

Which I did just now and unfortunately, the remaining two tubes with
the damaged pins don't still seem to work so may have suffered other
damage from the poor handling.

(If I plug the 'Input' end of the good tube into the fitting with it
live the tube now lights up with just that end connected (as
expected)).

Swapping the 'noisy' tube over to the other fitting seems to make it
slightly quieter and the quiet tube is still quiet in what was the
noisy fitting (confirming it is the tube itself).

Anyone else noticed hum on LED replacement tubes? The only place I can
imagine it's coming from is any electronics in the (one?) 'active' end
cap and being amplified by the batten fitting?

If I grip / push the cover on the noisy fitting it does indeed quieten
slightly, confirming the batten is amplifying the noise to some
degree.

I'll pick up a couple of new tubes and hope they are quiet.

Cheers, T i m