Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shower pump location

I am planning to re-furbish an en-suite bathroom, and am considering
installing a Stuart-Turner Monsoon twin impellor pump. I currently have
a Mira Vigour wall-mounted power shower with built-in pump but would
like to replace it with something with a bit more €śurge€ť.

The instructions for the Monsoon say €śThe pump must, for optimum
performance, be sited as close as possible to and never more than 4
metres from the HOT WATER cylinder€ť.

In my case this would be very difficult to achieve because the hot and
cold feeds to the en-suite take different paths and only meet when they
get there (see drawing at
https://app.box.com/s/20x0sg5z9rpwsh27mi2wwsth3d7fk5g0). The hot runs
under the landing and bedroom floors, and the cold runs through the
roof-space. If I install the pump in my preferred location inside a
vanity unit in the en-suite, the pipe run from the hot cylinder to the
pump would be about 10 metres. I have spoken to a droid on the S-T
support helpline, who simply reiterated what it says in the instructions
but wasnt able to explain the rationale behind this. I am struggling to
understand which law of Physics would be violated if the distance
between hot cylinder and pump is more than 4 metres. How does the pump
know how far it is from the cylinder? If it's a cavitation issue, isn't
head and pipe size more important than horizontal distance? What are the
likely consequences of installing it in my preferred location? I accept
that I may need an Essex flange (or similar) in the cylinder to avoid
sucking the vent pipe dry.

Am I missing something?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

I fannied around for years with pumps, and then upgraded to an unvented
cylinder. Wish Id done that to start with.

Unless you have poor mains pressure in which case your options are limited,
Id suggest an unvented cylinder (or a thermal store).

If you still want to go with a pump could you not put your pump by the HW
tank and run the cold feed to the shower back up to the loft and tie it in
there?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2021 08:42, Tim+ wrote:

I fannied around for years with pumps, and then upgraded to an unvented
cylinder. Wish Id done that to start with.

Our downstairs shower is somewhat aggressive at full bore from the
gravity head in the loft, where the tank is raised near the roof apex.

If ye dare step in as full bodied person, ye'd come out as sparkling
bones of a skeleton...

However, the upstairs shower we found was weedy until we installed a
better bar mixer. The previous was a cheapy probably suited more to
direct water supplies rather than tanks.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2021 08:42, Tim+ wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

In my holiday flat I've got an unvented cylinder allowing mains pressure
hot and cold to be supplied to a bar mixer - but it doesn't have
anything like as much urge as I would like. It's worse than my current
rather feeble "power shower" at my main home.

If you still want to go with a pump could you not put your pump by the HW
tank and run the cold feed to the shower back up to the loft and tie it in
there?

Possibly, but it's a bit messy bringing the cold down and then up again.
No-one has yet explained why my preferred solution wouldn't work.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Apr 2021 at 13:09:51 BST, "Roger Mills" wrote:

On 10/04/2021 08:42, Tim+ wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Apart from flow rate/cavitation which, as you say, depends much more on pipe
diameter than length, the only problem I can think of is running cold and then
overshooting too hot as the hot water comes through. The solution, of course,
is not to get in the shower till it has stabilised.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Apr 2021 13:09:51 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

On 10/04/2021 08:42, Tim+ wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

I think the general theory is that sucking sucks compared to blowing.

The pressure drop on the input is likely to be the main problem, and the
further the pump is away from the tank the greater the pressure drop is
likely to be.

Also if you have a cold and a hot feed going by very different routes then
there might be an imbalance on the input side of the pump. This seems less
likely. However if there is an imbalance then this might cause the mixer
valve problems if the outputs are unbalanced.

A long time ago, but IIRC there was a separate dedicated cold feed from
the loft down to the side of the hot water tank and some kind of flange
near the top of the hot tank. So in theory hot and cold were drawn at the
same spot and at the same pressure.

You could possibly have two single pumps but that sounds complicated to
set up, and assumes the cold feed only feeds the shower.
Although thinking about it you would have to have a dedicated feed to a
pump, otherwise you would be sucking on any cold taps or toilet cisterns
sharing that feed when the pump was on.

Is it practicable to add a large cold feed to the airing cupboard and then
run a new cold feed to the shower alongside the existing hot?
A lot more work but removes a lot of the unknowns.
Are you prepared to do this if you try your approach and this fails?

Memories also, we managed to empty the hot tank quite quickly and had to
have a larger one fitted.
We then (more occasionally) managed to empty the cold tank in the loft if
we had both showers running at the same time. Rare enough not to warrant
fitting a bigger cold tank.

HTH

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2021 08:42, Tim+ wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

But that's exactly how the existing power shower is fed, and that works
ok apart from needing a bit more urge.

A long time ago, but IIRC there was a separate dedicated cold feed from
the loft down to the side of the hot water tank and some kind of flange
near the top of the hot tank. So in theory hot and cold were drawn at the
same spot and at the same pressure.

You could possibly have two single pumps but that sounds complicated to
set up, and assumes the cold feed only feeds the shower.
Although thinking about it you would have to have a dedicated feed to a
pump, otherwise you would be sucking on any cold taps or toilet cisterns
sharing that feed when the pump was on.

The cold feed is dedicated to the power shower - with the basin and
toilet having mains feeds. However, the hot feed (unboosted) is shared
with the basin - with the power shower being after the basin take-off point.

Is it practicable to add a large cold feed to the airing cupboard and then
run a new cold feed to the shower alongside the existing hot?
A lot more work but removes a lot of the unknowns.
Are you prepared to do this if you try your approach and this fails?

That would be a major upheaval! Floor to ceiling fitted wardrobes have
subsequently been fitted over the part of the bedroom where the hot feed
runs, and I don't fancy disturbing those - nor the kitchen ceiling
below, for that matter.

Boosting the hot pressure before the basin would introduce another
problem because the pump would run when the the basin hot tap was opened
but there would be no cold flow through it, which it may not like. So
why not use boosted stored hot and cold rather than mains to the basin,
I hear you cry? For the simple reason that I use the basin cold for a
supply of drinking water, so it needs to be mains.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
On 10/04/2021 08:42, Tim+ wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Clearly you have mains pressure/flow restriction in that flat then. Does
this apply to your main residence though?

If you still want to go with a pump could you not put your pump by the HW
tank and run the cold feed to the shower back up to the loft and tie it in
there?

Possibly, but it's a bit messy bringing the cold down and then up again.
No-one has yet explained why my preferred solution wouldn't work.

Im sure it would work, after a fashion. Im sure cavitation issues are why
ST recommend fitting close to the hot tank. I doubt youll get a
definitive answer. You may just have to try it and report back. ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2021 08:42, Tim+ wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Well exactly. It may be at the limit of what you can do by sucking.

[...]

And this is when you say €śSod it, lets put in an unvented HW system. ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Tim+ writes
Roger Mills wrote:
On 10/04/2021 08:42, Tim+ wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

Not really been reading this but the *builders* fitted a double monsoon
shower pump to the farmhouse. Gravity system with about 2.0m head from
loft tank. Tanks to pump distance within 3-4m.

Initial experience was that the pump exceeded the top up feed to the hot
tank. An Essex flange was fitted but there were still occasions when an
air lock stopped hot water flow to the main bathroom.

I believe there is a reed switch energising the pump which must rely on
gravity flow. Is this linked to their pipe run limit?

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2021 15:31, Tim+ wrote:

Clearly you have mains pressure/flow restriction in that flat then. Does
this apply to your main residence though?

Almost certainly. The en-suite is at the end of a long and tortuous run
of 15mm pipe and there is a significant reduction in flow when water is
also being used nearer to the point of entry.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/04/2021 19:21, Tim Lamb wrote:

Not really been reading this but the *builders* fitted a double monsoon
shower pump to the farmhouse. Gravity system with about 2.0m head from
loft tank. Tanks to pump distance within 3-4m.

Initial experience was that the pump exceeded the top up feed to the hot
tank. An Essex flange was fitted but there were still occasions when an
air lock stopped hot water flow to the main bathroom.

I believe there is a reed switch energising the pump which must rely on
gravity flow. Is this linked to their pipe run limit?

I don't see why. If there is sufficient gravity flow between tank and
shower to trigger the flow switch, why should it matter where in the run
that switch is placed?

There are actually two types of Monsoon pump - standard and universal.
The standard ones need a positive head - and enough gravity flow to
trigger the flow switch. The universal ones can work with a negative
head. They also have a pressure vessel and a pressure switch. Presumably
the pressure drops when a tap is opened, and triggers the pressure switch.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/2021 22:22, Roger Mills wrote:
[...]

I think your theory is right, and the droids are just quoting a "rule of
thumb". I'm sure you could envisage layouts (15mm pipe, lots of
non-swept elbows) that might provide enough resistance on the suck side
to give you cavitation at the impeller. You didn't say whether it was
the 2 bar or 3 bar monsoon, or if it was a "universal".

I don't think the formal calcs for pressure drop are all that difficult,
and there are formulae and calculators on the web.

That said, my ST just sits next to the bottom of the DHW cylinder,
taking its feeds from the 15mm rising main and 22mm from an Essex
flange. The shower is directly underneath the cylinder, plumbed in 15mm.
So I have never had to do the calcs for this case myself.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 10 April 2021 at 20:08:55 UTC+1, Roger Mills wrote:
There are actually two types of Monsoon pump - standard and universal.
The standard ones need a positive head - and enough gravity flow to
trigger the flow switch. The universal ones can work with a negative
head. They also have a pressure vessel and a pressure switch. Presumably
the pressure drops when a tap is opened, and triggers the pressure switch..

Indeed. Also, I believe the universal ones have better-rated seals, to cope with the possibility of the pump running dry. For that reason, if my current 9-year-old standard ST Monsoon ever needs replacing, I will probably replace it with the universal version.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/2021 22:22, Roger Mills wrote:
I am planning to re-furbish an en-suite bathroom, and am considering
installing a Stuart-Turner Monsoon twin impellor pump. I currently have
a Mira Vigour wall-mounted power shower with built-in pump but would
like to replace it with something with a bit more €śurge€ť.

The instructions for the Monsoon say €śThe pump must, for optimum
performance, be sited as close as possible to and never more than 4
metres from the HOT WATER cylinder€ť.

I installed one under the bath at the opposite end of a big bathroom to
the hot water cylinder as a temp measure to boost the existing shower
with poor flow. It worked perfectly despite the instructions saying it
must be only be installed with a dedicated supply direct from the hot
tank and no more than 2 meters from the tank.

In fact it worked so well when later updating the bathroom I left it as
is and ran pipes to a second shower in an adjacent room.

Both worked perfectly even when both showers were in use. Mind you
STWNFI did moan a bit about the noise and vibrations when she was taking
a bath whilst either shower was being used:-)

Mike

Shallow well far from the garden: Pump location question Jeannot Home Repair 22 July 14th 06 12:18 AM
Kitchen Extractor Fan Flue Location & boiler Flue location [email protected] UK diy 7 June 9th 05 10:44 PM
Shower pump location kmillar UK diy 2 February 3rd 05 03:49 PM
shower-pump/pump for cold water to shower only ? TR UK diy 1 December 29th 04 05:38 PM
Pump Location Andrew Seaton UK diy 4 April 9th 04 09:53 PM