Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cleaning a polycarbonate sloping roof

We have a polycarbonate sloping roof over out deck and side passage.
Over time it gets lichen (I think) growing on it, possibly algae too.

Looking for ways to clean it (beyond just a brush and hose pipe) and found
https://www.wetandforget.co.uk/resid...ervatory-roof-
cleaning

Reading the justifications in the sales blurb made me think they were
struggling for reasons to use it, however the "spray on and leave it"
seems attractive.

The side passage roof can only be accessed from our neighbour's property.

Just wondering if anyone has a proven method of cleaning plastic roofs
with minimum effort and long term effectiveness.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2021 12:22, David wrote:
We have a polycarbonate sloping roof over out deck and side passage.
Over time it gets lichen (I think) growing on it, possibly algae too.

Looking for ways to clean it (beyond just a brush and hose pipe) and found
https://www.wetandforget.co.uk/resid...ervatory-roof-
cleaning

Reading the justifications in the sales blurb made me think they were
struggling for reasons to use it, however the "spray on and leave it"
seems attractive.

The side passage roof can only be accessed from our neighbour's property.

Just wondering if anyone has a proven method of cleaning plastic roofs
with minimum effort and long term effectiveness.

Others will be along in a moment with other solutions but wet and forget
is probably just a watered down BAC50

https://job-prices.co.uk/best-moss-killer/

I've use BAC50 on a polycarbonate clear roof and its worked well. The
results are not instant. You will see the die off after a few days but
it will take a few heavy rain showers over a period of a month or three
for the dead material to wash off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:

The COSHH sheet doesn't actually say what's in the wet-and-forget

The MSDS does

https://www.wetandforget.com/downloads/SDS_USA_WetForget_Concentrate-10202020.pdf
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If it has to be transparent, then no, but I remember one bright spark at
where I work spraying his opaque roof with spray booth peel paint, so when
it got manky and horrible he simply pulled it off and put some more paint on
it, Seems a little extreme to me!

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"David" wrote in message
We have a polycarbonate sloping roof over out deck and side passage.
Over time it gets lichen (I think) growing on it, possibly algae too.

Looking for ways to clean it (beyond just a brush and hose pipe) and found
https://www.wetandforget.co.uk/resid...ervatory-roof-
cleaning

Reading the justifications in the sales blurb made me think they were
struggling for reasons to use it, however the "spray on and leave it"
seems attractive.

The side passage roof can only be accessed from our neighbour's property.

Just wondering if anyone has a proven method of cleaning plastic roofs
with minimum effort and long term effectiveness.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 08 Apr 2021 16:14:59 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 15:50:05 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Chris Hogg wrote:

The COSHH sheet doesn't actually say what's in the wet-and-forget

The MSDS does

https://www.wetandforget.com/downloads/

SDS_USA_WetForget_Concentrate-10202020.pdf

Ah yes, so it does; Ta! CAS# 68424-85-1 i.e. Benzalkonium chloride

Thanks, team! :-)

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 08 Apr 2021 14:20:22 +0100, alan_m wrote:

[...]

Only one issue:
"do not allow the chemical to enter drains or waterways"
so I'm not sure how you are supposed to treat any roof unless it is
absolutely certain that it only drains into a soak away.

Our roof drains into the main sewerage system.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 08/04/2021 19:02, David wrote:

Only one issue:
"do not allow the chemical to enter drains or waterways"
so I'm not sure how you are supposed to treat any roof unless it is
absolutely certain that it only drains into a soak away.

That was written by the same people who wrote my computer printer
manual? "When cleaning this printer, do not immerse it in water."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2021 15:50, Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Hogg wrote:

The COSHH sheet doesn't actually say what's in the wet-and-forget

The MSDS does

https://www.wetandforget.com/downloads/SDS_USA_WetForget_Concentrate-10202020.pdf

Just a warning, and probably not applicable here, occasionally
internationally available products have significantly different
formulations in different geographical areas, but still carrying the
same name. So when looking for MSDS on the web, make sure you don't
inadvertently pick up the wrong one. I've known UK wholesale suppliers
provide the wrong MSDS on their web sites.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2021 19:02, David wrote:

Only one issue:
"do not allow the chemical to enter drains or waterways"
so I'm not sure how you are supposed to treat any roof unless it is
absolutely certain that it only drains into a soak away.

Exactly - and how do the professionals who use the same chemicals stop
it entering the drains. They probably don't!

You will be diluting the BAC50 10:1 to 20:1 and then just wetting the
roof and letting it dry. There will be little run-off to the drains at
this point. Anything thereafter will be diluted much further by any rain.

The amount that enters the drainage system for a one or two off
application is probably no worse that than what gets put down the toilet
or sink plug on a daily basis.