Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default my Makita impact driver got hot and lost power

my Makita impact driver got hot and lost power -
anything i can do to fix it or must I buy another?

I was reinforcing oak joists with turbogold 120mm screws,
wish I'd stopped when it got hot...
must I buy another,
and how to do it better next time,
and is there a better tool to buy?

https://makitauk.com/product/td0101f
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2021 18:58, George Miles wrote:
my Makita impact driver got hot and lost power -
anything i can do to fix it or must I buy another?

I was reinforcing oak joists with turbogold 120mm screws,
wish I'd stopped when it got hot...
must I buy another,
and how to do it better next time,
and is there a better tool to buy?

https://makitauk.com/product/td0101f

Did it recover on cooling down? Or are you saying it still works, but
with less "oomph".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

its lost 90% of its power ...
would a new armature fix it?
https://www.sparepartsworld.co.uk/product/SPARE_TD0101F
or would i need other bits?
[g]

On Wednesday, April 7, 2021 at 7:02:37 PM UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 07/04/2021 18:58, George Miles wrote:
my Makita impact driver got hot and lost power -
anything i can do to fix it or must I buy another?

I was reinforcing oak joists with turbogold 120mm screws,
wish I'd stopped when it got hot...
must I buy another,
and how to do it better next time,
and is there a better tool to buy?

https://makitauk.com/product/td0101f

Did it recover on cooling down? Or are you saying it still works, but
with less "oomph".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2021 18:58, George Miles wrote:
my Makita impact driver got hot and lost power -
anything i can do to fix it or must I buy another?

I was reinforcing oak joists with turbogold 120mm screws,
wish I'd stopped when it got hot...
must I buy another,
and how to do it better next time,
and is there a better tool to buy?

https://makitauk.com/product/td0101f

Not often you see mains ones... [1]

But if a it got hot enough to short an armature winding, then yup it may
still spin but will be really rough, lack power, and you may see lots of
sparks from the commutator.

So check the brushes, and if those look good, suspect the armature.
Looks like they are fairly cheap to replace.

I would expect the process to be similar to what I did on my SDS:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...re_Replacement

[1] the extra control electronics in the modern battery ones will
usually shut them down if things get too hot, before damage occurs.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2021 20:12, George Miles wrote:
its lost 90% of its power ...
would a new armature fix it?
https://www.sparepartsworld.co.uk/product/SPARE_TD0101F
or would i need other bits?
[g]

On Wednesday, April 7, 2021 at 7:02:37 PM UTC+1, newshound wrote:
On 07/04/2021 18:58, George Miles wrote:
my Makita impact driver got hot and lost power -
anything i can do to fix it or must I buy another?

I was reinforcing oak joists with turbogold 120mm screws,
wish I'd stopped when it got hot...
must I buy another,
and how to do it better next time,
and is there a better tool to buy?

https://makitauk.com/product/td0101f

Did it recover on cooling down? Or are you saying it still works, but
with less "oomph".

Old oak is really tough stuff. Only drilling and through bolting
with coach bolts or threaded bar is going to work.

Self drilling screws only work on modern wimpish softwood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is it a brushed motor? If so surely these should be replaced.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!