Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Convention for direction of rotation of rotary throttle contol (motorbike etc)

"Fredxx" wrote in message
https://mocktheorytest.com/checkquestion/car/all/1/268/
Therefore "C" is the obvious and correct answer.

"A" may additionally be the right answer (as well as "C") if you yourself
are also driving a high vehicle ;-) And that could apply to car drivers
(ie not just HGV or PCV drivers who have an additional level of test) if
they had a bike on a roof-rack.

I agree but isn't the test here for a 'car'.

But is it assumed that it is a normal-height car with nothing on a
roof-rack, and not a higher-than-normal SUV - or a Transit van which can
still be driven on a car licence? OK, I'm being picky here.

Once the bridge is proved to be clear, I tend to go through the highest part
if it looks as if the edges will be anywhere *near* the height of my car -
taking no chances.

I remember seeing a road-safety question that gave several different answers
for "is it safe to overtake on a hill approaching a bend". The question did
not specify whether up or down. I maintain that it is safe to overtake on a
*down* hill because that gives you a very good view of the road beyond the
bend, and also accelerates your car quickest, so you can be on the wrong
side of the road for the least time.

Of course they wanted the "proper" answer that overtaking on an *up* hill
before a bend is bloody stupid because you can't see round the bend and over
the brow of the hill, and you are having to accelerate with gravity working
against you.

It shows that you have to word your questions very carefully to avoid
smart-arses who are looking for get-out clauses ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2021 15:38, NY wrote:
"Fredxx" wrote in message
https://mocktheorytest.com/checkquestion/car/all/1/268/
Therefore "C" is the obvious and correct answer.

"A" may additionally be the right answer (as well as "C") if you
yourself are also driving a high vehicle ;-)Â* And that could apply to
[...]

There was one in the papers about the French theory test a few years
back. They asked which was it safest to be in when hitting a wall - a
tank or a car. The answer they wanted was car, because it has seat
belts, crumple zones and airbags. But obviously the wall makes a
difference - if it is a metres thick castle wall, then the car may be
best, but if it is a dry-stone wall around a field or a house wall, then
the tank would likely just roll through it safely.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 7 Apr 2021 14:00:29 -0000 (UTC), Scion
wrote:

snip

Many bicycles with cable brakes can be swapped front/rear right/left in
a matter of a minute or so - it's a simple case of unhooking and
swapping.

Sure.

The issue though is *are they* other way round (to what is 'std' here)
in other countries? I don't believe they would be.

Our hired bikes in Turkey were the wrong way round and they seemed to
think it was normal.

Ah, interesting, thanks.

I made 'em change it, I would have been over the
handlebars within a couple of hundred yards otherwise!

Quite.

That is strange though (that they should be 'reversed') because the
chances are that motorbikes (front brake) and TAG mopeds / scooters (2
off hand operated brakes) would be 'normalised' throughout the world?

I wonder if they just set them up wrong and only you thought to
question / swap them?

(Not sure any non regular / non experienced 'holiday' cyclists would
realise the difference)?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
[...]

It's an interesting one. Car gear levers, pedals and stalks are the same way
round in LHD and RHD cars. When I first drove an LHD car, I instinctively
used the correct pedal and gear layout but for some reason expected the
stalks to be reversed (indicators on right, wipers on left). Strange the way
the brain works.

Likewise I'd expect motorbike controls to be standardised (at least on
modern bikes) and not to be reversed (either pedals or handlebar
twist/lever) for LHD/RHD.

But I've heard that for bicycles the brake levers (and maybe the gearchange
lever or twist) *are* swapped for LHD - and the reason is to allow braking
with the rear brake (the one that is safest on its own) if the hand that
uses the front brake is occupied with signalling a turn *across* traffic -
ie the left hand for LHD and the right hand for RHD.

The one that is very hard to get used to is driving a go-kart because the
layout precludes having a brake pedal on the right to be operated
alternately with the throttle. So you have to get used to left-foot braking.
After 40 years, my right foot is used to the delicate job, with small
travel, for braking and accelerating, and my left foot is used to big
to-the-floor movement of the clutch. The first few times I went to brake I
spun the car because I instinctively slammed my left foot right down ;-) We
were all warned at the end of the go-kart session "if you've driven here,
make damn sure that you go back to right-foot braking in your own car,
otherwise you'll forget to use the clutch when you change gear" ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 20:57:47 +0100, "NY" wrote:

snip

It's an interesting one. Car gear levers, pedals and stalks are the same way
round in LHD and RHD cars. When I first drove an LHD car, I instinctively
used the correct pedal and gear layout but for some reason expected the
stalks to be reversed (indicators on right, wipers on left). Strange the way
the brain works.

Yeah.

Likewise I'd expect motorbike controls to be standardised (at least on
modern bikes) and not to be reversed (either pedals or handlebar
twist/lever) for LHD/RHD.

I don't believe they are (other than the old stuff, as you say).

But I've heard that for bicycles the brake levers (and maybe the gearchange
lever or twist) *are* swapped for LHD - and the reason is to allow braking
with the rear brake (the one that is safest on its own) if the hand that
uses the front brake is occupied with signalling a turn *across* traffic -
ie the left hand for LHD and the right hand for RHD.

Whilst that makes sense, have just Whatsapped my mate in Canada (LHD
country) and he confirmed front brake on the right (he was a keen
cyclist here and still is over there).

The one that is very hard to get used to is driving a go-kart because the
layout precludes having a brake pedal on the right to be operated
alternately with the throttle. So you have to get used to left-foot braking.
After 40 years, my right foot is used to the delicate job, with small
travel, for braking and accelerating, and my left foot is used to big
to-the-floor movement of the clutch. The first few times I went to brake I
spun the car because I instinctively slammed my left foot right down ;-)

Yup, horrible action. Digital foot for an analogue role. ;-)

We
were all warned at the end of the go-kart session "if you've driven here,
make damn sure that you go back to right-foot braking in your own car,
otherwise you'll forget to use the clutch when you change gear" ;-)

Similar advice after leaving the 'Extended Rally driving' and
'Supercars' courses at Brands. ;-)

I just had a reply from a mate in the States (also LHD country) and he
suggests that cycle front brakes were on the left over there?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 20:57:47 +0100, "NY" wrote:

snip

But I've heard that for bicycles the brake levers (and maybe the gearchange
lever or twist) *are* swapped for LHD - and the reason is to allow braking
with the rear brake (the one that is safest on its own) if the hand that
uses the front brake is occupied with signalling a turn *across* traffic -
ie the left hand for LHD and the right hand for RHD.

I think the answers might be he

https://www.renehersecycles.com/whic...r-which-brake/

Cheers, T i m