Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default RCDs and EICRs

On 30/03/2021 18:48, ARW wrote:
On 29/03/2021 13:41, Robin wrote:
On 29/03/2021 12:45, Roger Hayter wrote:
On 29 Mar 2021 at 10:15:39 BST, ""Brian Gaff \" Sofa\)"
wrote:

Which reminded me, why is it that a breaker of any type often seems,
maybe
through never having been tripped for years can take too long to
trip when
it finally does have a fault to protect against which can often mean
a whole
fitting needs to be replaced due to overheating. Is it just build up
of crud
or whatever, and should one say every few months manually trip these
one at
a time to make sure they keep healthy?

Brian

It is normally printed on the front of them that they should be tested
periodically.Â* But you are not alone in not seeing that!

I think Brian might be referring to how MCBs (and RCBOs) perform with
over current rather than how RCDs (and RCBOs) perform with an
imbalance. Testing how breakers perform with stable, over &
short-circuit currents requires special kit.Â* I'd be interested to
know if even Adam carries it routinely.

No.

Thanks for not pointing out that it was a bloody stupid question. I was
ignorant of how much a tester costs until I idly looked over coffee this
morning.

--
Robin

To days EICRs ARW UK diy 28 March 19th 21 11:43 AM
PING ARW re EICRs SH[_4_] UK diy 23 March 16th 21 07:14 PM
Phase to Earth short and RCds Toby UK diy 9 July 27th 11 07:58 PM
17th and RCDs Bay Man UK diy 4 September 30th 10 12:10 AM
HomePlugs and RCDs Invisible Man[_2_] UK diy 11 April 10th 10 05:55 PM