Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default fog lights

do fog lights and especially rear fog lights require a warning light
that they are on ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/03/2021 13:11, jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
do fog lights and especially rear fog lights require a warning light
that they are on ?

....and is it an MOT failure if you don't have one ? ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/03/2021 16:09, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
jim GM4DHJ ... used his keyboard to write :
On 26/03/2021 13:11, jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
do fog lights and especially rear fog lights require a warning light
that they are on ?

...and is it an MOT failure if you don't have one ? ...

Yes and yes.

Reversing light switch has to either be mechanically linked to the
reverse gear or there has to be a warning light.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/03/2021 16:09, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
jim GM4DHJ ... used his keyboard to write :
On 26/03/2021 13:11, jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
do fog lights and especially rear fog lights require a warning light
that they are on ?

...and is it an MOT failure if you don't have one ? ...

Yes and yes.

thought that but couldn't find it....thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UQM...and erNemesis

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/03/2021 16:59, williamwright wrote:

On 26/03/2021 16:09, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
jim GM4DHJ ... used his keyboard to write :
On 26/03/2021 13:11, jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
do fog lights and especially rear fog lights require a warning light
that they are on ?

...and is it an MOT failure if you don't have one ? ...

Yes and yes.

Reversing light switch has to either be mechanically linked to the
reverse gear or there has to be a warning light.

Bill

thanks but is was fogs I was asking about....car doesn't have reversing
lights
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/03/2021 13:12, jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 26/03/2021 13:11, jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
do fog lights and especially rear fog lights require a warning light
that they are on ?

...and is it an MOT failure if you don't have one ? ...

If factory fitted (and possibly self fitted) they must be working for a
MOT. There may be only one rear fog light (drivers side) although on
some cars there may be just a reflector on the passenger side without a
light.

Both my factory fitted fog lights have front and rear dashboard
indications that they are on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Why don't they make fog lamps out of rubber? All too often a prang on the
front breaks the fog lamps and pushes the body of the light into the edge of
the bonnet or the bit above the bumper at the back as they are usually fixed
to a tube around which they can rotate.
Unless in the last years this practice has changed of course as I don't see
them these days.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
Harry Bloomfield; "Esq." wrote in message
jim GM4DHJ ... used his keyboard to write :
On 26/03/2021 13:11, jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
do fog lights and especially rear fog lights require a warning light
that they are on ?

...and is it an MOT failure if you don't have one ? ...

Yes and yes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

Both my factory fitted fog lights have front and rear dashboard
indications that they are on.

How easy is it to remember which symbol is for front and which is
the rear?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/2021 09:39, Chris J Dixon wrote:
alan_m wrote:

Both my factory fitted fog lights have front and rear dashboard
indications that they are on.

How easy is it to remember which symbol is for front and which is
the rear?

Chris

Although different colour indicators I don't use my fog lights enough to
know/remember which indicator is for front or rear. The switches for
both lights are also quite low down towards the footwell and only have
the same symbols as the indicators.

Common sense suggests that the top switch is front and the bottom switch
is rear and the left facing indicator is the front fog and the right
facing the rear.

Unlike a lot of people, I don't use my fog lights in the rain nor do I
leave them on when there is 100s of metres of visibility

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/03/2021 13:11, jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
do fog lights and especially rear fog lights require a warning light
that they are on ?

They have done since at least the 1961 lighting regulations, possibly
earlier.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
If factory fitted (and possibly self fitted) they must be working for a
MOT. There may be only one rear fog light (drivers side) although on
some cars there may be just a reflector on the passenger side without a
light.

It's a legal requirement in some countries that there is only one rear
fog. Presumably to avoid confusion with brake lights.

--
*Why is it that rain drops but snow falls?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
Both my factory fitted fog lights have front and rear dashboard
indications that they are on.

How easy is it to remember which symbol is for front and which is
the rear?

Mine shows the beam pointing down for front fogs and straight ahead for
the rears. Which makes some kind of sense.

--
*Avoid clichés like the plague. (They're old hat.) *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
nightjar wrote:
On 26/03/2021 13:11, jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
do fog lights and especially rear fog lights require a warning light
that they are on ?

They have done since at least the 1961 lighting regulations, possibly
earlier.

Still doesn't stop plenty idiots leaving them on. ;-)

--
*Women who seek to be equal to men lack ambition.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
alan_m wrote:
If factory fitted (and possibly self fitted) they must be working for a
MOT. There may be only one rear fog light (drivers side) although on
some cars there may be just a reflector on the passenger side without a
light.

It's a legal requirement in some countries that there is only one rear
fog. Presumably to avoid confusion with brake lights.

I wondered if that was the case, given that a lot of recent cars have only
one fog light. My previous cars had two white lights in the clusters for
reversing and two red lights for fog, but there was no bulb in the nearside
fog light - so I added one, on the grounds that (IMHO) *all* front and rear
lights should be in pairs, to define the car's width. My current car has
only one white light on the nearside (which is a bugger when reversing at
night and the offside of the road behind is not lit) and only one red light
on the offside. I tend to put my fog light on when reversing at night, so
both sides of the car (eg walls/hedges that I'm reversing between) are lit
up in either white or red.

I think the "some countries" are making a very serious safety error in
mandating only one foglight. I find in fog that it is essential that I can
see both rear lights (and fog lights do the same job in fog as tail lights
in clear conditions, in defining the width of the car when seen from a
distance) and so can judge (from the apparent spacing) how far away the car
is when all I can see of it are its fog light(s).

My ideal grouping of rear lights would be:

- indicator
- side
- fog
- reflector
- brake

in that order (or the opposite) so the indicator is some distance from the
brake and fog lights, and so the fog and brake lights are separated and
therefore can be distinguished (I always look for the third high-level brake
light if I'm unsure whether it's fog or brake). I'd group side and fog,
except that this would place the bright fog light right next to the
indicator, making it hard to see the indicator if the car has its foglights
(or brake lights) on.

Those considerations *far* outweigh any aesthetic rules about how "pretty"
the clusters look.

VW are terrible: the rear indicator is a ring around the side/brake light,
so it's almost invisible if the brake lights are on.

Bring back nice simple clusters, maybe even separate housings on the
rear/front body, and definitely don't put the front indicators anywhere near
the headlights! Lights are meant to be clearly visible in all conditions,
not to look pretty!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote:
Both my factory fitted fog lights have front and rear dashboard
indications that they are on.

How easy is it to remember which symbol is for front and which is
the rear?

Mine shows the beam pointing down for front fogs and straight ahead for
the rears. Which makes some kind of sense.

I tend to look at the sidelight (and/or high beam headlight) symbol. The one
for the front fog lights will be facing the same way, and the one for the
rear fog lights will be facing the opposite way. Often the reminder-light
for front fog will be green like the side light, and the rear fog will be
amber.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

nightjar wrote:
On 26/03/2021 13:11, jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
do fog lights and especially rear fog lights require a warning light
that they are on ?

They have done since at least the 1961 lighting regulations, possibly
earlier.

Still doesn't stop plenty idiots leaving them on. ;-)

Funny story. I got a new car (VW Golf Mark II) which had the fog light
switch on a panel on the dashboard alongside the heated rear window and
something else. I was driving in fog and I was religiously turning the rear
fog light switch on when I couldn't see headlights behind me, and off again
when I saw headlights (if I could see his headlights, he was close enough to
be dazzled by my fog lights). I thought I was being really good. When I got
home, I realised I'd been turning the heated rear window on and off, and my
fog lights had either been permanently off or permanently on (I forget
which). I felt a real plonker. Never made that mistake again.

My recent cars have had an interlock with the side lights control on the
indicator stalk, so if the fogs are turned on when I turn off the sidelights
at the end of a journey, the fogs are automatically reset to off for when I
next turn the side lights on. Easy to do this either electronically, or by a
peg between the rotating light switch and the rotating collar for the fogs
which is next to it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking alan_m wrote :
Common sense suggests that the top switch is front and the bottom switch is
rear and the left facing indicator is the front fog and the right facing the
rear.

and my two are side by side :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield"; "Esq." wrote in message
NY submitted this idea :
VW are terrible: the rear indicator is a ring around the side/brake
light, so it's almost invisible if the brake lights are on.

Bring back nice simple clusters, maybe even separate housings on the
rear/front body, and definitely don't put the front indicators anywhere
near the headlights! Lights are meant to be clearly visible in all
conditions, not to look pretty!

+1

What I don't understand is why the Construction and Use regulations haven't
been given powers to say to car manufacturers "this is not adequate for
purpose - putting indicators right next to headlights or brakelights makes
them considerably less visible". But they are more concerned with the exact
relation with respect to bumpers and ground, than with proximity between one
light and another.

It was only fairly recently that we in the UK allowed a series of sequential
lights for indicators, which had been done on some American cars but had to
be changed to a simple on/off light if the car was imported into the UK. Now
that they are allowed again, I've seen some cars with them, and once you've
got over the novelty, they are very effective in showing which way a car is
indicating. https://youtu.be/1gXh1ghvKQg?t=878

At least we have unique colours for our indicators, as opposed to flashing
side lights or brake lights as some US cars have. I've seen some older cars
(probably 1950s or before) which had this, but it seems to have been
outlawed here around 1960 (am I correct with that approximate date?).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

Both my factory fitted fog lights have front and rear dashboard
indications that they are on.

How easy is it to remember which symbol is for front and which is
the rear?

Chris

Although different colour indicators I don't use my fog lights enough to
know/remember which indicator is for front or rear.

Surely a big F and R or B should be obvious enough.

The switches for both lights are also quite low down towards the footwell
and only have the same symbols as the indicators.

Common sense suggests that the top switch is front and the bottom switch
is rear and the left facing indicator is the front fog and the right
facing the rear.

Unlike a lot of people, I don't use my fog lights in the rain nor do I
leave them on when there is 100s of metres of visibility

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

Both my factory fitted fog lights have front and rear dashboard
indications that they are on.

How easy is it to remember which symbol is for front and which is
the rear?

Chris

Although different colour indicators I don't use my fog lights enough
to know/remember which indicator is for front or rear.

Surely a big F and R or B should be obvious enough.

What F and R? Only coloured icons on the dash and the same icons on the
switches and with the switches partially hidden by the steering wheel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by Senile Mr. "There is no tide in the Suez Canal" LMAO

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 06:11:54 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Cursitor Doom about Rot Speed:
"I'm not the least surprised. The man is a conspicuous and unashamed
ignoramus."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote:
Both my factory fitted fog lights have front and rear dashboard
indications that they are on.

How easy is it to remember which symbol is for front and which is
the rear?

Mine shows the beam pointing down for front fogs and straight
ahead for the rears. Which makes some kind of sense.

But I bet that isnt intuitive for plenty.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:
If factory fitted (and possibly self fitted) they must be working for a
MOT. There may be only one rear fog light (drivers side) although on
some cars there may be just a reflector on the passenger side without a
light.

It's a legal requirement in some countries that there is only one rear
fog. Presumably to avoid confusion with brake lights.

I wondered if that was the case, given that a lot of recent cars have only
one fog light. My previous cars had two white lights in the clusters for
reversing and two red lights for fog, but there was no bulb in the
nearside fog light - so I added one, on the grounds that (IMHO) *all*
front and rear lights should be in pairs, to define the car's width.

Trouble is that its then easy to confuse with a car
heading towards you in your lane in heavy fog.

My current car has only one white light on the nearside (which is a bugger
when reversing at night and the offside of the road behind is not lit) and
only one red light on the offside.

A reversing camera fixes that.

I tend to put my fog light on when reversing at night, so both sides of
the car (eg walls/hedges that I'm reversing between) are lit up in either
white or red.

I think the "some countries" are making a very serious safety error in
mandating only one foglight.

I don’t for the reason I stated at the top.

I find in fog that it is essential that I can see both rear lights (and
fog lights do the same job in fog as tail lights in clear conditions, in
defining the width of the car when seen from a distance) and so can judge
(from the apparent spacing) how far away the car is when all I can see of
it are its fog light(s).

But in really bad fog that’s too late.

But the problem with my argument is motorbikes.

Clearly there is no best, if there was we would be using it.

My ideal grouping of rear lights would be:

- indicator
- side
- fog
- reflector
- brake

in that order (or the opposite) so the indicator is some distance from the
brake and fog lights, and so the fog and brake lights are separated and
therefore can be distinguished (I always look for the third high-level
brake light if I'm unsure whether it's fog or brake). I'd group side and
fog, except that this would place the bright fog light right next to the
indicator, making it hard to see the indicator if the car has its
foglights (or brake lights) on.

And a real problem for hatches.

Those considerations *far* outweigh any aesthetic rules about how "pretty"
the clusters look.

VW are terrible: the rear indicator is a ring around the side/brake light,
so it's almost invisible if the brake lights are on.

Bring back nice simple clusters, maybe even separate housings on the
rear/front body,

Not feasible with hatches and what you lot call estates.

and definitely don't put the front indicators anywhere near the
headlights!

Plenty have extra indicators on the side panel at the front now.

Lights are meant to be clearly visible in all conditions, not to look
pretty!

Yes but there are also other considerations like with hatches
and estates and vans.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m formulated the question :
What F and R? Only coloured icons on the dash and the same icons on the
switches and with the switches partially hidden by the steering wheel.

That was what they used to use or actual words, now its all cryptic
pictograms.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY explained on 27/03/2021 :
It was only fairly recently that we in the UK allowed a series of sequential
lights for indicators, which had been done on some American cars but had to
be changed to a simple on/off light if the car was imported into the UK. Now
that they are allowed again, I've seen some cars with them, and once you've
got over the novelty, they are very effective in showing which way a car is
indicating. https://youtu.be/1gXh1ghvKQg?t=878

Yes and certainly the most effective indicator lights I have ever seen.

At least we have unique colours for our indicators, as opposed to flashing
side lights or brake lights as some US cars have. I've seen some older cars
(probably 1950s or before) which had this, but it seems to have been outlawed
here around 1960 (am I correct with that approximate date?).

I would guess a decade at least later than that, but just a guess. An
easy conversion with an amber coloured lamp glass.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 06:58:51 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

But I bet that isnt intuitive for plenty.

I bet you ARE a sociopathic auto-contradicting cretin!

--
Sqwertz to Rodent Speed:
asshole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 07:19:17 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest troll**** unread

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

Both my factory fitted fog lights have front and rear dashboard
indications that they are on.

How easy is it to remember which symbol is for front and which is
the rear?

Chris

Although different colour indicators I don't use my fog lights enough to
know/remember which indicator is for front or rear.

Surely a big F and R or B should be obvious enough.

What F and R?

The ones that get added to the current switches.

Corse not ideal with foreign devils.

Spose an icon of the front and back of the car would be better.

Only coloured icons on the dash and the same icons on the switches and
with the switches partially hidden by the steering wheel.

Thats now. I was talking about what would be better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 07:50:51 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
nightjar wrote:
On 26/03/2021 13:11, jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
do fog lights and especially rear fog lights require a warning light
that they are on ?

They have done since at least the 1961 lighting regulations, possibly
earlier.

Still doesn't stop plenty idiots leaving them on. ;-)

Not necessarily idiots. Many years ago I took my car for an MOT and the
inspector left the foglights on. Driving home, my dipped headlights were
off, so the foglights didn't come on. The next morning, driving to work,
I needed my dipped lights on and did not notice that the foglights were
on for some time - the switch and indicator were positioned badly, so
they were not easily seen anyway and were completely hidden by my right
arm whilst driving.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
Both my factory fitted fog lights have front and rear dashboard
indications that they are on.

How easy is it to remember which symbol is for front and which is
the rear?

Mine shows the beam pointing down for front fogs and straight ahead for
the rears. Which makes some kind of sense.

Those are the standard symbols - however, I have to look at them and
think carefully. I'd much prefer plain English labels, but they are not
allowed, it has to be cryptic symbols.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
If factory fitted (and possibly self fitted) they must be working for a
MOT. There may be only one rear fog light (drivers side) although on
some cars there may be just a reflector on the passenger side without a
light.

It's a legal requirement in some countries that there is only one rear
fog. Presumably to avoid confusion with brake lights.

I remember, back in the days of Ford Sierras, some had combined
tail/brake lights and separate foglights and some had combined
tail/foglights and separate brake lights. They were exactly the same,
except for how they were wired. I always thought that the latter
arrangement was better - two lights on and another, unlit pair,
illuminating brightly when you braked, rather than one pair lit and
brightening when braking, while a second bright pair was already lit.

Indeed, when I built my trailer, I wired it that way, even though the
wiring diagram and wire colours for the lights suggested the first option.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

* alan_m wrote:
[...]

I prefer:

Indicator
Reverse
Tail/fog
Reflector
Brake

There is no need for a separate tail and fog light, allowing a smaller
cluster - what is the point of a tail light when the fog lights are on?

Reverse to separate Indicator and Tail/Fog. Reflector to separate
Tail/Fog and Brake.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/03/2021 19:08, NY wrote:
[...]

These things could be added to construction and uses regulations, but
they could not be enforced - any EU type approved vehicle is
automatically acceptable throughout the EU and the UK and cannot be
restricted by UK only legislation.

Even though we have left the UK, we have signed up to continue to follow
EU regulations on new vehicles.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

Both my factory fitted fog lights have front and rear dashboard
indications that they are on.

How easy is it to remember which symbol is for front and which is
the rear?

Chris

Although different colour indicators I don't use my fog lights enough
to know/remember which indicator is for front or rear.

Surely a big F and R or B should be obvious enough.

what about other languages they need a universal sign not letters
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

Both my factory fitted fog lights have front and rear dashboard
indications that they are on.

How easy is it to remember which symbol is for front and which is
the rear?

Chris

Although different colour indicators I don't use my fog lights enough to
know/remember which indicator is for front or rear.

Surely a big F and R or B should be obvious enough.

what about other languages

****em, they are just wogs.

they need a universal sign not letters

They should be speaking english.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 28 Mar 2021 19:52:18 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH more of the trolling senile asshole's latest troll****

--
Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
nightjar wrote:
On 26/03/2021 13:11, jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
do fog lights and especially rear fog lights require a warning light
that they are on ?

They have done since at least the 1961 lighting regulations, possibly
earlier.

Still doesn't stop plenty idiots leaving them on. ;-)

Getting a lot rarer than it used to be as most vehicles seem them to turn
them off to a greater or lesser extent, some by a mechanical action that
turning off the stalk headlight switch also turns off the the fog lamp ring
switch others with a more sophisticated method within the vehicles
electronics
after headlights are turned off or the vehicle parked up.

Was that as a result of legislation or just good practice by manufacturers?

It has certainly cut down on those who could justify their use in morning
November fog
but still displayed them on the way home in a dark drizzle annoying those
behind .

GH

Christmas Lights Los Angeles 310-925-1720 christmaslightinginstall.blogs… — Christmas Lights Los Angeles 310-925-1720 We sale christmas lights and install them for you, house lights, holiday lights, trees lights, christmas lights Now You Know Home Repair 0 November 24th 08 07:02 PM
Lights Lights Christmas Lights Installation Los Angeles, BeverlyHills, Santa Monica, Culver City, Marina Del Rey, Calabasas, Agoura HillsThousand Oaks Holiday Lights Installation 1-310-925-1720 Now You Know Home Repair 0 November 15th 08 02:25 AM
Survey: main beam AND fog lights in your area ? Father Kylesmas UK diy 2 December 23rd 06 06:58 PM
Lights in fog Alan Holmes UK diy 1 November 28th 05 11:47 PM
Lights in fog Alan Holmes UK diy 0 November 26th 05 02:41 PM