Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Side road resurfacing

On 04/04/2021 09:15, ARW wrote:
On 21/03/2021 09:34, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Peter Johnson wrote:

(I remember when the A50 Uttoxeter bypass was built towards Stoke on
Trent, within a few weeks of opening a local village (somewhere near
Checkley) erected signs on it complaining of the traffic noise from
the concrete road surface.)

I'm sure there was a time when the powers that be accepted that
the noise from busy concrete roads was unacceptable, and gave
dates for their replacement. Seems like they then moved on and
forgot about it.

Until now

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/h...concrete-roads

Content free drivel. What have The Beatles got to do with it?

They don't explain precisely what is the matter with concrete motorways
of how they will be replaced.

They're difficult to maintain apart from covering them with a layer of
asphalt. Is that what they will do?

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/04/2021 08:54, alan_m wrote:
On 04/04/2021 07:55, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

The revealed concrete slab sub-surface had completely broken up in
several places, down to the soil - I'm surprised they didn't clean
them out and lay a new concrete sub-surface, before tarmac.

Even though that may have been sensible to extend the life of the newly
laid tarmac possibly not what they had been contracted for. Not my job!

Laying asphalt over existing concrete slabs is rather a compromise as
the slabs will expand with heat or break up as noted. I don't know what
they do now, but they used to lay bitmac and asphalt on crushed
limestone chippings or lean mix concrete, which are reasonably flexible.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/04/2021 09:19, ARW wrote:
On 20/03/2021 10:32, Steve Walker wrote:
On 19/03/2021 14:45, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
NY expressed precisely :
I remember when major roads like the A34 between Oxford and the M40
were made up of concrete slabs, with tar expansion joints. Not a
nice road surface to drive on - very hard (tarmac is hard, but
there's a bit more give in it) and the thump-thump-thump of each
joint gets very annoying after a few seconds ;-)

..and noisy. The built a motorway a few years ago in concrete, one
mile away. A petition soon had it resurfaced in tarmac.

Years ago ('80s or '90s IIRC) they demonstrated laying concrete as a
continuous slab and, when it had set, but not hardened, microcracking
it. It gave space for expansion, so no need for expansion joints
(although simply angling those or making them V shaped will do away
with the regular jolts and noise) and did away with the need for
grooving the road surface for water dispersal (and the irregular
surface meant no drone - just like tarmac). Unfortunately I never
heard anything about it again.

This?

https://www.roads.org.uk/blog/diamond-rough

No. It was a controlled fracturing of the uncured concrete surface,
carried out during construction. I can't remember where I saw it, but it
was likely Tomorrow's World or something similar.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 19 March 2021 at 13:02:16 UTC, undefined wrote:
Originally concrete slab, later tarmaced. They are resurfacing and have
scrapped up the tarmac down to concrete - how long do they normally
leave it, before returning to retarmac?

It's been two weeks now.

Where I live, we had well laid roads but, because building of other properties continued, the final surface was not laid until a few months back it was the subsurface. Thus the lowered kerbs, ironworks, etc., presented a bit of a lump and required care.

They have now done the final surface, a lovely job in fine tarmac.

But the oddity is that I use a wifi relay and, since the final surfacing, it has improved transmission - from typically about 90% to almost always 100% as the unit shows. No other changes at all.

No relevance to anything else. Just my observation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/04/2021 12:02, Steve Walker wrote:
On 04/04/2021 09:19, ARW wrote:
[...]

They used to lay triangular section strips of wood transversely under
where the concrete would be poured, plus (I think) rubber strips on top
of the concrete. The latter would be stripped out and pitch (or similar)
poured in to seal the joint after the concrete set. As the concrete set
it would contract leading to a rough joint. There were longitudinal
steel rods in cardboard tubes to stop the slabs from tilting.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/04/2021 09:19, ARW wrote:
[...]

No, not quite that one either. It involved a weight being used to cause
random cracks throughout the entire surface, leading to the noise, and
drainage advantages of tarmac, along with the long-life and wear
resistance of concrete.