Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DVD Player advice

Need a new one as the old one has loading problems and is now in the bin.
Want a cheap one as it hardly gets used should I get one with HDMI output?
Old one used SCART. TV has the sockets.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2021 10:06, JohnP wrote:
Need a new one as the old one has loading problems and is now in the bin.
Want a cheap one as it hardly gets used should I get one with HDMI output?
Old one used SCART. TV has the sockets.

They probably all have HDMI now and SCART has likely disappeared from
most as well.

Even though you use it very little, it might be worth considering paying
a bit more and getting a blue-ray player instead. It'll still play DVDs,
but gives you the option for blue-ray as well in the future - mainly for
if you can't get hold of what you want on DVD.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Mar 2021 at 10:32:34 GMT, "Steve Walker"
wrote:

On 15/03/2021 10:06, JohnP wrote:
Need a new one as the old one has loading problems and is now in the bin.
Want a cheap one as it hardly gets used should I get one with HDMI output?
Old one used SCART. TV has the sockets.

They probably all have HDMI now and SCART has likely disappeared from
most as well.

Even though you use it very little, it might be worth considering paying
a bit more and getting a blue-ray player instead. It'll still play DVDs,
but gives you the option for blue-ray as well in the future - mainly for
if you can't get hold of what you want on DVD.

Are there still two kinds of Blu-Ray player on the market, Old Blu-ray and 4k
HDR Blu-ray?

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Mar 2021 10:06:11 GMT, JohnP wrote:

Need a new one as the old one has loading problems and is now in the bin.

When you sat 'the bin', you mean aside to go in the electronics
recycling?

Want a cheap one as it hardly gets used should I get one with HDMI output?

I think it will be fairly difficult to get one without these days?

Old one used SCART.

Sounds typical.

TV has the sockets.

I bought a new 'basic' DVD player when my stepdaughter went into the
Hospice because she hadn't got long, daughter wanted to watch a
particular film with her and it might have taken a week to get a PAT
on an existing one (new didn't need testing).

They managed to watch the film in bursts as / when she was conscious.

The room TV had both SCART and HDMI.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnP wrote in
:

Need a new one as the old one has loading problems and is now in the
bin. Want a cheap one as it hardly gets used should I get one with
HDMI output? Old one used SCART. TV has the sockets.

I have just read that SCART will automatically select the DVD on the TV.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnP wrote:

should I get one with
HDMI output? Old one used SCART. TV has the sockets.

I have just read that SCART will automatically select the DVD on the TV.

HDMI can do the same
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnP wrote:
JohnP wrote in
:

Need a new one as the old one has loading problems and is now in the
bin. Want a cheap one as it hardly gets used should I get one with
HDMI output? Old one used SCART. TV has the sockets.

I have just read that SCART will automatically select the DVD on the TV.

That can happen with HDMI too. HDMI can also pass through
your TV remote control so you don't need a separate one for the menus etc.
That's an optional part of the HDMI spec (called CEC) so it will depend on
your TV and DVD.

Of the 32 for sale at Currys, three have SCART. SCART would massively
restrict your options. (OK, a few of those at Currys are 'portable' players
with screens etc. But the rest are regular players)

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
T i m wrote:
On Mon, 15 Mar 2021 10:06:11 GMT, JohnP wrote:

Need a new one as the old one has loading problems and is now in the bin.

When you sat 'the bin', you mean aside to go in the electronics
recycling?

Want a cheap one as it hardly gets used should I get one with HDMI output?

I think it will be fairly difficult to get one without these days?

Old one used SCART.

Sounds typical.

TV has the sockets.

I bought a new 'basic' DVD player when my stepdaughter went into the
Hospice because she hadn't got long, daughter wanted to watch a
particular film with her and it might have taken a week to get a PAT
on an existing one (new didn't need testing).

That, of course, is a major fallacy. I've tested - and failed - brand new
equipment. Of course, it was easier to rectify the problme than to send it
back.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JohnP wrote:
JohnP wrote in
:

Need a new one as the old one has loading problems and is now in the
bin. Want a cheap one as it hardly gets used should I get one with
HDMI output? Old one used SCART. TV has the sockets.

I have just read that SCART will automatically select the DVD on the TV.

So can HDMI if the software on the TV allows it.

--
*Remember: First you pillage, then you burn.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Mar 2021 12:28:22 +0000 (GMT), charles
wrote:

snip

I bought a new 'basic' DVD player when my stepdaughter went into the
Hospice because she hadn't got long, daughter wanted to watch a
particular film with her and it might have taken a week to get a PAT
on an existing one (new didn't need testing).

That, of course, is a major fallacy.

The @concept' that it didn't *need* testing because it would
'automatically' be ok / pass you mean? Yes, I'm sure you are right.

We had a similar thing with a cooling fan when the Mrs was in having
her knee replacement and because all I cared about was helping her get
more comfortable, not wasting time arguing with 'the system', I went
and bought a new fan and set it up for her. We also left it there
afterwards in the hope it might help someone else (with their
agreement / approval / thanks).

You could spot the one we left as it was the one without the cables
showing that had been pulled out of the cable retainer, the cracked /
selotaped plug top or kinked / damaged cable. ;-(

I've tested - and failed - brand new
equipment.

Oh, I'm sure you have ... but the logic / irony (if a new one could
fail the PAT etc) of 'This fan is only 3 months old and in the same
condition as any new one from the shop' would have been wasted on them
(only protecting themselves etc).

Of course, it was easier to rectify the problme than to send it
back.

Often the case (saying more about some returns systems than simplicity
of the issues etc).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2021 10:06, JohnP wrote:
Need a new one as the old one has loading problems and is now in the bin.
Want a cheap one as it hardly gets used should I get one with HDMI output?
Old one used SCART. TV has the sockets.

£20 Majority one will play anything and any region...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2021 21:55, Jimmy Stewart wrote:
On 15/03/2021 10:06, JohnP wrote:
Need a new one as the old one has loading problems and is now in the bin.
Want a cheap one as it hardly gets used should I get one with HDMI
output?
Old one used SCART. TV has the sockets.

£20 Majority one will play anything and any region...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Majority-...8AAOSwDjFbfT6r

got four of them ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jimmy Stewart" wrote in message
On 15/03/2021 21:55, Jimmy Stewart wrote:
On 15/03/2021 10:06, JohnP wrote:
Need a new one as the old one has loading problems and is now in the
bin.
Want a cheap one as it hardly gets used should I get one with HDMI
output?
Old one used SCART. TV has the sockets.

£20 Majority one will play anything and any region...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Majority-...8AAOSwDjFbfT6r

got four of them ...

Do you really need all 4 playing at once to get it up now ?

Definitely WAY past your useby date.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Mar 2021 09:54:41 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile cretin's latest troll**** unread

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2021 10:06, JohnP wrote:
Need a new one as the old one has loading problems and is now in the bin.
Want a cheap one as it hardly gets used should I get one with HDMI output?
Old one used SCART. TV has the sockets.

Old PC with a HDMI output?

twenty-first centurys developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HDMI? Well only for interconnect as most are not hd, what about a blue ray?

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"JohnP" wrote in message
. ..
Need a new one as the old one has loading problems and is now in the bin.
Want a cheap one as it hardly gets used should I get one with HDMI output?
Old one used SCART. TV has the sockets.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" wrote in
:

HDMI? Well only for interconnect as most are not hd, what about a blue
ray?

Brian

I don't think South Pacific and Oklahoma will benefit from Blue Ray!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:
HDMI? Well only for interconnect as most are not hd, what about a blue
ray?

HDMI is HD. And well beyond, as many computer monitors use it.

--
*How about "never"? Is "never" good for you?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/03/2021 11:35 am, JohnP wrote:
JohnP wrote in
:

Need a new one as the old one has loading problems and is now in the
bin. Want a cheap one as it hardly gets used should I get one with
HDMI output? Old one used SCART. TV has the sockets.

I have just read that SCART will automatically select the DVD on the TV.

So does HDMI.

Mine (a Blu Ray player) switches the TV on and selects the correct
peripheral channel. Both items are Sony.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JNugent wrote:
On 15/03/2021 11:35 am, JohnP wrote:
JohnP wrote in
:

Need a new one as the old one has loading problems and is now in the
bin. Want a cheap one as it hardly gets used should I get one with
HDMI output? Old one used SCART. TV has the sockets.

I have just read that SCART will automatically select the DVD on the TV.

So does HDMI.

Mine (a Blu Ray player) switches the TV on and selects the correct
peripheral channel. Both items are Sony.

It's often switchable in the TV menu. As was SCART.

--
*Drugs may lead to nowhere, but at least it's the scenic route *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/03/2021 03:00 pm, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
JNugent wrote:
On 15/03/2021 11:35 am, JohnP wrote:
JohnP wrote in
:

Need a new one as the old one has loading problems and is now in the
bin. Want a cheap one as it hardly gets used should I get one with
HDMI output? Old one used SCART. TV has the sockets.

I have just read that SCART will automatically select the DVD on the TV.

So does HDMI.

Mine (a Blu Ray player) switches the TV on and selects the correct
peripheral channel. Both items are Sony.

It's often switchable in the TV menu. As was SCART.

The settings menus are so often impenetrably labelled. A Sony HDD/DVD-R
machine displayed everything in 4:3 through HDMI but 16:9 via SCART.
Discs recorded on it played back properly (16:9) on other players.

It took me ages to work out which setting was wrong on the DVD-R
machine, but I found it eventually.