Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Garrard 3000 will not start

I was trying to reconnect an ampolifier inside the case of a long unused home-made record player. It was on its side and flipped over. Althought everything looks intact, the motor will now not start. Power is getting as far as a plug that fits into the motor.

I don't know whether to hang on to it or dump it. Who would want it not working?

--
Mint 20.04, kernel 5.4.0-42-generic, Cinnamon 4.6.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 8GB of DRAM.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2021 19:55, pinnerite wrote:
I was trying to reconnect an ampolifier inside the case of a long unused home-made record player. It was on its side and flipped over. Althought everything looks intact, the motor will now not start. Power is getting as far as a plug that fits into the motor.

I don't know whether to hang on to it or dump it. Who would want it not working?

The motors are usually simple shaded pole motors. If you're confident
power is getting to the motor then I suspect there is a thermal fuse
that has aged and let go.

It is often semi-accessible within or on the lop layer of winding.

Whether it is worth further investigation is your call on its value,
sentimental or otherwise.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

pinnerite wrote:
I was trying to reconnect an ampolifier inside the case of a long unused home-made record player. It was on its side and flipped over. Althought everything looks intact, the motor will now not start. Power is getting as far as a plug that fits into the motor.

I don't know whether to hang on to it or dump it. Who would want it not working?

The video here for Garrand 3000, says there's an idler wheel
with rubber on it. The presenter also notes that "many have
issues with lubrication". Which means, while in storage,
the lubricant may have turned to tar or jelly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N8XO_rFeDY

There are some turntable designs which were some sort
of "direct drive", but many of the others use rubber
(belts or whatever).

The motor has to spin the turntable, as well as provide
motive power for the auto-play function.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If its one of those with a chunk of iron with the rotor in the middle held
by two bearings they were for getting much in the gap and then they ceased
up, Disassemble clean touch of lube in the bearings, reassemble adjust till
you can spin it and then try again.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"T i m" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 13 Mar 2021 19:55:29 +0000, pinnerite
wrote:

I was trying to reconnect an ampolifier inside the case of a long unused
home-made record player. It was on its side and flipped over. Althought
everything looks intact, the motor will now not start. Power is getting as
far as a plug that fits into the motor.

I don't know whether to hang on to it or dump it. Who would want it not
working?

Have you tried giving the motor a spin with your fingers when it's
powered up?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The only ones with that fuse link I can recall were the ones in the Phillips
early vcrs or those that used the motor also as a transformer to power a low
power amplifier, in both cases the motors tended to run a lot hotter due to
the way they were used, in the former case speed control was via a brake
like a reverse linear motor and hence they got very hot, in the second,
there moor was not exactly efficient as a transformer!

"Fredxx" wrote in message
On 13/03/2021 19:55, pinnerite wrote:
I was trying to reconnect an ampolifier inside the case of a long unused
home-made record player. It was on its side and flipped over. Althought
everything looks intact, the motor will now not start. Power is getting
as far as a plug that fits into the motor.

I don't know whether to hang on to it or dump it. Who would want it not
working?

The motors are usually simple shaded pole motors. If you're confident
power is getting to the motor then I suspect there is a thermal fuse that
has aged and let go.

It is often semi-accessible within or on the lop layer of winding.

Whether it is worth further investigation is your call on its value,
sentimental or otherwise.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2021 19:55, pinnerite wrote:
I was trying to reconnect an ampolifier inside the case of a long unused home-made record player. It was on its side and flipped over. Althought everything looks intact, the motor will now not start. Power is getting as far as a plug that fits into the motor.

I don't know whether to hang on to it or dump it. Who would want it not working?

picture would help. Probably needs a new starter cap?

--
The lifetime of any political organisation is about three years before
its been subverted by the people it tried to warn you about.

Anon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/03/2021 19:55, pinnerite wrote:
I was trying to reconnect an ampolifier inside the case of a long unused
home-made record player. It was on its side and flipped over. Althought
everything looks intact, the motor will now not start. Power is getting
as far as a plug that fits into the motor.

I don't know whether to hang on to it or dump it. Who would want it not
working?

picture would help. Probably needs a new starter cap?

Those motors dont have starter caps.