Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT (possibly) Garrard turntable DIY repair

We've got a Garrard GT35P-1 belt drive turntable from the late '70s
which I use very occasionally, but it automatically lifts off long
before it reaches the run-out groove of the record (around 2 tracks
before). I only have the original manual for how to unpack and connect
it etc. Does anyone have any experience of taking one of these apart and
how the mechanism works. There is no way to disable the function via a
switch.
I don't think it has an 'audiophile' following but it is of some use to
me so I would rather fix it with a touch of a soldering iron, blast of
air, or whatever it needs.

Cheers

James
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 21:10:44 +0100, Part Timer wrote:

We've got a Garrard GT35P-1 belt drive turntable from the late '70s
which I use very occasionally, but it automatically lifts off long
before it reaches the run-out groove of the record (around 2 tracks
before). I only have the original manual for how to unpack and connect
it etc. Does anyone have any experience of taking one of these apart and
how the mechanism works. There is no way to disable the function via a
switch.

Dunno about that model, but slightly earlier models had a simple
mechanical trip mechanism with a small metal 'thing' on a pivot. If that
got stuck, it might explain the symptoms.

Access was easy; remove the turntable. Probably just remove the spindle
(if it pulls out), and there's probably a circlip under the rubber mat.

Once the turn=table is off, you should see the mechanism and it should be
obvious. Could be 'foreign matter' in there too.

Of course, yours might be different and it's all underneath!
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Part Timer wrote:
We've got a Garrard GT35P-1 belt drive turntable from the late '70s
which I use very occasionally, but it automatically lifts off long
before it reaches the run-out groove of the record (around 2 tracks
before). I only have the original manual for how to unpack and connect
it etc. Does anyone have any experience of taking one of these apart and
how the mechanism works. There is no way to disable the function via a
switch.
I don't think it has an 'audiophile' following but it is of some use to
me so I would rather fix it with a touch of a soldering iron, blast of
air, or whatever it needs.

GT35? Hmm

Plenty of manuals for sale..but none free

What NORMALLY happens is that as the arm swings across at a given point
it picks up a peg and flicks onto a cam that lifts the arm. From memory
MOST of these are a bit sloppy and need to be kept free by dissolving
old grease, re-oiling and cheacking any ping****it type springs that are
there to control the float.

I'd simply remove the needle from the cartridge first - that's the bit
you can damage - and then try and separate the base plate from the shell
as it were.

I suspect that you will need to lift the platter off and there will be
screws underneath.

Then it will be fairly obvious how it all works I suspect.

At least its not some plasticky clip once never come apart again thing.
Nice turntable: Worth fixing

Cheers

James

--
Ineptocracy

diminishing number of producers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 22, 9:10*pm, Part Timer wrote:
We've got a Garrard GT35P-1 belt drive turntable from the late '70s
which I use very occasionally, but it automatically lifts off long
before it reaches the run-out groove of the record (around 2 tracks
before). I only have the original manual for how to unpack and connect
it etc. Does anyone have any experience of taking one of these apart and
how the mechanism works. There is no way to disable the function via a
switch.
I don't think it has an 'audiophile' following but it is of some use to
me so I would rather fix it with a touch of a soldering iron, blast of
air, or whatever it needs.

Cheers

James

how it works should be self explanatory once u get to it
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2012 21:45, NT wrote:

how it works should be self explanatory once u get to it

Like it!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Part Timer wrote:
We've got a Garrard GT35P-1 belt drive turntable from the late '70s
which I use very occasionally, but it automatically lifts off long
before it reaches the run-out groove of the record (around 2 tracks
before). I only have the original manual for how to unpack and connect
it etc. Does anyone have any experience of taking one of these apart
and how the mechanism works. There is no way to disable the function
via a switch.
I don't think it has an 'audiophile' following but it is of some use
to me so I would rather fix it with a touch of a soldering iron, blast
of air, or whatever it needs.

GT35? Hmm

Positive, went downstairs to check again.

Plenty of manuals for sale..but none free

Always the same story isn't it?

What NORMALLY happens is that as the arm swings across at a given point
it picks up a peg and flicks onto a cam that lifts the arm. From memory
MOST of these are a bit sloppy and need to be kept free by dissolving
old grease, re-oiling and cheacking any ping****it type springs that are
there to control the float.

I'd simply remove the needle from the cartridge first - that's the bit
you can damage - and then try and separate the base plate from the shell
as it were.

It has a twist and lock removable headshell so will remove it easily.

I suspect that you will need to lift the platter off and there will be
screws underneath.

Then it will be fairly obvious how it all works I suspect.

Will give it a go in the next month when I have an afternoon free.

At least its not some plasticky clip once never come apart again thing.
Nice turntable: Worth fixing

I wasn't planning to throw it. Amongst other features it has a nice
aluminium platter with 50 and 60Hz strobe reflectors for tweaking 33 and
45rpm. The exterior needs a good clean to get the fingerprint grime off
and it will look better.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that Part Timer formulated :
We've got a Garrard GT35P-1 belt drive turntable from the late '70s which I
use very occasionally, but it automatically lifts off long before it reaches
the run-out groove of the record (around 2 tracks before). I only have the
original manual for how to unpack and connect it etc. Does anyone have any
experience of taking one of these apart and how the mechanism works. There is
no way to disable the function via a switch.
I don't think it has an 'audiophile' following but it is of some use to me so
I would rather fix it with a touch of a soldering iron, blast of air, or
whatever it needs.

Cheers

James

There is usually an adjuster screw under the arm pivot, which sets the
point of lifting the arm off the record. It should be fairly easy to
find it.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Part Timer wrote:
I wasn't planning to throw it. Amongst other features it has a nice
aluminium platter with 50 and 60Hz strobe reflectors for tweaking 33 and
45rpm.

That's fine for the twice a day or so when the mains is bang on frequency.
;-)

--
*Does fuzzy logic tickle? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2012 22:52, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

Followup (as promised):

Finally got the time to have a look at the turntable today. I removed
the headshell, rubber mat and aluminium platter, turned it upside down
(propped on a large dictionary either side). Removed 8 screws from
around the edges after taking photos.
Nothing untoward inside the player but quite a bit of dust fell out. All
the components hang from the top of the inside.
I set it up to test - it played the full side. I put the base back on
the tested it again. It lifted off early! I worked out that I could lift
the tonearm using the lever, nudge it over toward the middle of the
record and feel a slight click. I then moved it back to the resting
position. At the next switch on it lifted on its own, moved to the right
past the resting position, then parked again. Maybe that was some sort
of recalibration exercise after my manipulation by hand, but maybe it's
cured for now.