Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Intermittent gas pressure on cooker hob

The flame on the hob goes up and down but still burns blue, can go out if we need a low setting if simmering. I have cleaned everything I can with no John to rectifying the problem.

I have just turned off the gas boiler that gives us heating and hot water to see whether it made a difference, which it did, then surely there most be something external that is affecting the gas pressure within the property. There has been gas engineers in our location for weeks too. Has anyone got further advice to this problem or possible causes please?

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...b-3103798-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2021 18:31, Paul wrote:
The flame on the hob goes up and down but still burns blue, can go out
if we need a low setting if simmering. I have cleaned everything I can
with no John to rectifying the problem.
I have just turned off the gas boiler that gives us heating and hot
water to see whether it made a difference, which it did, then surely
there most be something external that is affecting the gas pressure
within the property. There has been gas engineers in our location for
weeks too. Has anyone got further advice to this problem or possible
causes please?

Is this new behaviour, or has it always been like it?

It sounds like there are one of three likely causes:

If its always been like that, then the pipework may be of inadequate
size for the gas rate it needs to supply.

If it's a new thing, then either a failing main governor valve, or the
supply to the property itself is substandard.

You could test it with a U tube manometer connected to the test nipple
on the meter. With gas being consumed, it should indicate 21 mBar. (it
will rise a bit above that when no gas is being drawn), however calling
the gas emergency line would be a resonable way to sort it out if its
anything other than a inadequate pipework problem.

(and this is a serious fault that should be treated as an emergency)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the advice

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...b-3103798-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Its a new problem. Thanks for the advice

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...b-3103798-.htm