Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT: Any Muscians on the Panel?

Something doesn't sound right about this song at approx. 1m29s there
appears to be some sort of issue with the time signature. It's like it
goes from 4/4 to 3/4 or something of that sort then back again, but
I'm no musician so can't say for sure. Opinions sought from those with
a better ear than I!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_H_LRcyXFY

You may have to listen to the whole 2.5 minutes of the song to be
certain.
--

"Andrey Semyonovitch really was rather stupid; he attached himself to the
progressive cause and 'our younger generation' from enthusiasm. He was one

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cursitor Doom wrote:

Something doesn't sound right about this song at approx. 1m29s there
appears to be some sort of issue with the time signature.

I'm no musician, but there's nothing jarring around that time to my
ears, just a couple of drum breaks around the instrumental section.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2021 17:42, Cursitor Doom wrote:

[...]

I've been known to make semi-musical noises on a range of instruments -
this seems like fairly strict 2/2 or 4/4 to me. Having said that, lots
of pieces of music change time (and key) signatures and that doesn't
make them "wrong".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Mar 2021 17:42:00 +0000, Cursitor Doom
wrote:

Something doesn't sound right about this song at approx. 1m29s there
appears to be some sort of issue with the time signature. It's like it
goes from 4/4 to 3/4 or something of that sort then back again, but
I'm no musician so can't say for sure. Opinions sought from those with
a better ear than I!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_H_LRcyXFY

You may have to listen to the whole 2.5 minutes of the song to be
certain.

I can't find anything wrong with it. Maybe your communication channel
is slow and at the place you say, it decided to drop the delayed feed
and miss a bit out to catch up again.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Any Muscians on the Panel?

I can hear nothing wrong with it here at all.
If you want to hear what happens if somebody tries to sing unaccompanied
without a click track or a good time signature sense, Look out Sandy Shows
version of Paul McCartney's Junk.
I think they were far more interested in the comedy value of the end than
noting the variable time signature!

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 8 Mar 2021 08:31:04 -0000, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
wrote:

I can hear nothing wrong with it here at all.

Thanks, Brain. I always defer to your expert opinion on any matter
non-visually related. :-)
--

"Andrey Semyonovitch really was rather stupid; he attached himself to the
progressive cause and 'our younger generation' from enthusiasm. He was one
of the numerous and varied legion of dullards, of half-animate abortions,
conceited, half-educated coxcombs who attach themselves to the idea most
in fashion, only to vulgarise it and who caricature every cause they serve,
however sincerely."

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/03/2021 05:42 pm, Cursitor Doom wrote:

Something doesn't sound right about this song at approx. 1m29s there
appears to be some sort of issue with the time signature. It's like it
goes from 4/4 to 3/4 or something of that sort then back again, but
I'm no musician so can't say for sure. Opinions sought from those with
a better ear than I!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_H_LRcyXFY

You may have to listen to the whole 2.5 minutes of the song to be
certain.

The rhythm of the song flows at a constant underlying 4/4, but the lead
guitarist finishes a phrase on a totally-unexpected beat.

As someone else has said, there are lots of songs with odd bars of time
signature other than the main one for the song. A good example was the
Bobbie Gentry version of "I'll Never Fall In Love Again", which was in
4/4 but had one bar of 5/4 under the last line of the chorus (as per the
title).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 08 Mar 2021 21:36:01 +0000, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 08/03/2021 20:16, JNugent wrote:
The rhythm of the song flows at a constant underlying 4/4, but the lead
guitarist finishes a phrase on a totally-unexpected beat.

As someone else has said, there are lots of songs with odd bars of time
signature other than the main one for the song. A good example was the
Bobbie Gentry version of "I'll Never Fall In Love Again", which was in
4/4 but had one bar of 5/4 under the last line of the chorus (as per
the title).

If you want odd time listen to "Golden Brown".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-GUjA67mdc

Or "Take Five".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT9Eh8wNMkw
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/03/2021 12:26 pm, Scion wrote:

On Mon, 08 Mar 2021 21:36:01 +0000, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 08/03/2021 20:16, JNugent wrote:

The rhythm of the song flows at a constant underlying 4/4, but the lead
guitarist finishes a phrase on a totally-unexpected beat.

As someone else has said, there are lots of songs with odd bars of time
signature other than the main one for the song. A good example was the
Bobbie Gentry version of "I'll Never Fall In Love Again", which was in
4/4 but had one bar of 5/4 under the last line of the chorus (as per
the title).

If you want odd time listen to "Golden Brown".

There's a fair bit of 5/4 in that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-GUjA67mdc

Or "Take Five".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT9Eh8wNMkw

"Take Five" is in 5/4 all the way through.

"Three To Get Ready" (same album) has an intro in 3/4 but the main theme
alternates two bars of 3/4 and two of 4/4.

Perhaps we'd better not get into "Blue Rondo á la Turk"!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/03/2021 12:26, Scion wrote:
Or "Take Five".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT9Eh8wNMkw

I take it you haven't heard about the story of the album?

Take five is only the best known track from

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Out_(album)

"it is based upon the use of time signatures that were unusual for jazz"

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 09 Mar 2021 16:51:11 +0000, JNugent wrote:

[...]

Or the "Mission Implausible" theme.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 09 Mar 2021 21:04:25 +0000, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 09/03/2021 12:26, Scion wrote:
Or "Take Five". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT9Eh8wNMkw

I take it you haven't heard about the story of the album?

Take five is only the best known track from

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Out_(album)

"it is based upon the use of time signatures that were unusual for jazz"

Andy

No, I hadn't heard the story of the album. Thanks for the link - an
interesting read.

Now listening to Time Out on Spotify.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2021 09:46 am, Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

That's another in 5/4, ISTR (or at least, the original version by Lalo
Schifrin is).

"Living In The past" by Jethro Tull was also a 5/4 piece. You never
heard local rock bands play it, and not only because they didn't usually
have a flute in the line-up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/03/2021 10:08 am, Scion wrote:
On Tue, 09 Mar 2021 21:04:25 +0000, Vir Campestris wrote:

On 09/03/2021 12:26, Scion wrote:
Or "Take Five". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT9Eh8wNMkw

I take it you haven't heard about the story of the album?

Take five is only the best known track from

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Out_(album)

"it is based upon the use of time signatures that were unusual for jazz"

Andy

No, I hadn't heard the story of the album. Thanks for the link - an
interesting read.

Now listening to Time Out on Spotify.

There's another on the same theme: "Time Further Out".

Try "Unsquare Dance" from that one. It's in 7/4 and you will probably
find it familiar. It's frequently used as background music in TV
documentaries (and a few times on adverts, if I recall correctly).