Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bolt for gate

Our gate fell off the wall and I have now had it repaired by a welder,
who replaced the corroded steel post in its entirety. The gate is
perfectly level but the bolt is tight due to previous mislignment. It
may bed in with time.

However, if I want to replace the bolt what should I use? What is the
difference between a slide bolt and a barrel bolt? Can any type of
bolt be welded (by the welder) or is a particular design needed? Is
it worth paying extra for marine grade stainless steel given that the
cost of the bolt will will be insignificant compared to the labour?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/03/2021 13:56, Scott wrote:
Our gate fell off the wall and I have now had it repaired by a welder,
who replaced the corroded steel post in its entirety. The gate is
perfectly level but the bolt is tight due to previous mislignment. It
may bed in with time.

However, if I want to replace the bolt what should I use? What is the
difference between a slide bolt and a barrel bolt? Can any type of
bolt be welded (by the welder) or is a particular design needed? Is
it worth paying extra for marine grade stainless steel given that the
cost of the bolt will will be insignificant compared to the labour?

Just ask any dog - they'll all make a bolt for the gate if you let them :-)

More seriously, if the thing just binds a bit then it can't be difficult
to file or grind the pin to fit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" wrote:
One used to see a lot of gates with a little metal wheel under the swinging
end, indeed you could often see a track in the concrete where it was opened.
That seems to be a thing of the past now.

I have one on my garage door that I converted from 'up and over' to
hinged a few months ago (the conversion was to increase the clearance
at the top to accomodate a tractor). So they're still available.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

One used to see a lot of gates with a little metal wheel under the
swinging end, indeed you could often see a track in the concrete where it
was opened. That seems to be a thing of the past now.

Because it makes more sense to make it properly.

wrote in message
On 05/03/2021 13:56, Scott wrote:
Our gate fell off the wall and I have now had it repaired by a welder,
who replaced the corroded steel post in its entirety. The gate is
perfectly level but the bolt is tight due to previous mislignment. It
may bed in with time.

However, if I want to replace the bolt what should I use? What is the
difference between a slide bolt and a barrel bolt? Can any type of
bolt be welded (by the welder) or is a particular design needed? Is
it worth paying extra for marine grade stainless steel given that the
cost of the bolt will will be insignificant compared to the labour?

Just ask any dog - they'll all make a bolt for the gate if you let them
:-)

More seriously, if the thing just binds a bit then it can't be difficult
to file or grind the pin to fit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 6 Mar 2021 04:00:04 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the miserable trolling senile asshole's latest troll**** unread

--
Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/03/2021 13:56, Scott wrote:
Our gate fell off the wall and I have now had it repaired by a welder,
who replaced the corroded steel post in its entirety. The gate is
perfectly level but the bolt is tight due to previous mislignment. It
may bed in with time.

However, if I want to replace the bolt what should I use? What is the
difference between a slide bolt and a barrel bolt? Can any type of
bolt be welded (by the welder) or is a particular design needed? Is
it worth paying extra for marine grade stainless steel given that the
cost of the bolt will will be insignificant compared to the labour?

Simpler to use a cone drill to open up the hole in the post.

Assuming it is a decent sized bolt (half inch or more) there's no point
going to stainless for corrosion resistance even if you are on the coast.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/03/2021 20:40, newshound wrote:
On 05/03/2021 13:56, Scott wrote:
Our gate fell off the wall and I have now had it repaired by a welder,
who replaced the corroded steel post in its entirety.Â* The gate is
perfectly level but the bolt is tight due to previous mislignment.Â* It
may bed in with time.

However, if I want to replace the bolt what should I use?Â* What is the
difference between a slide bolt and a barrel bolt? Can any type of
bolt be welded (by the welder) or is a particular design needed?Â* Is
it worth paying extra for marine grade stainless steel given that the
cost of the bolt will will be insignificant compared to the labour?

Simpler to use a cone drill to open up the hole in the post.

+1
Open up the hole with a file or drill, cheap compared to welding a new
bolt on and making good

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 5 Mar 2021 22:31:04 +0000, Robert
wrote:

On 05/03/2021 20:40, newshound wrote:
On 05/03/2021 13:56, Scott wrote:
Our gate fell off the wall and I have now had it repaired by a welder,
who replaced the corroded steel post in its entirety.* The gate is
perfectly level but the bolt is tight due to previous mislignment.* It
may bed in with time.

However, if I want to replace the bolt what should I use?* What is the
difference between a slide bolt and a barrel bolt? Can any type of
bolt be welded (by the welder) or is a particular design needed?* Is
it worth paying extra for marine grade stainless steel given that the
cost of the bolt will will be insignificant compared to the labour?

Simpler to use a cone drill to open up the hole in the post.

+1
Open up the hole with a file or drill, cheap compared to welding a new
bolt on and making good

The welder tried that with a hammer, then filing the inside of the
'keep' then filing the bolt itself. It is still tight. I can work it
but I lack confidence in my neighbours (and the binmen obviously don't
understand the mechanics of how a gate works, or they have not been on
the correct training module).

I don't blame the welder as the gate seems to be aligned perfectly but
the bolt mechanism (which was there already) is slightly misaligned.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

More filing needed and in the right place !! If the bolt is bent may
need quite a bit.
If you do go down the" welding a new bolt" direction consider adding a
good gate closure or spring , makes life easier for those who cant work
bolts and you dont have to keep going out and shutting the gate again.