Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scott[_17_] Scott[_17_] is offline

Default Bolt for gate

On Fri, 5 Mar 2021 22:31:04 +0000, Robert
wrote:

On 05/03/2021 20:40, newshound wrote:
On 05/03/2021 13:56, Scott wrote:
Our gate fell off the wall and I have now had it repaired by a welder,
who replaced the corroded steel post in its entirety.* The gate is
perfectly level but the bolt is tight due to previous mislignment.* It
may bed in with time.

However, if I want to replace the bolt what should I use?* What is the
difference between a slide bolt and a barrel bolt? Can any type of
bolt be welded (by the welder) or is a particular design needed?* Is
it worth paying extra for marine grade stainless steel given that the
cost of the bolt will will be insignificant compared to the labour?

Simpler to use a cone drill to open up the hole in the post.

+1
Open up the hole with a file or drill, cheap compared to welding a new
bolt on and making good

The welder tried that with a hammer, then filing the inside of the
'keep' then filing the bolt itself. It is still tight. I can work it
but I lack confidence in my neighbours (and the binmen obviously don't
understand the mechanics of how a gate works, or they have not been on
the correct training module).

I don't blame the welder as the gate seems to be aligned perfectly but
the bolt mechanism (which was there already) is slightly misaligned.