Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mobile signal booster

Me and my neighbour both get a poor mobile signal. The sound is distorted
even if rings my mobile from next door on his mobile. Quite possibly it
only happens at certain times of day but we can not be certain, as they
say. Would a decent mobile signal booster solve this?

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2021 18:45, michael adams wrote:
Me and my neighbour both get a poor mobile signal. The sound is
distorted even if rings my mobile from next door on his mobile. Quite
possibly it only happens at certain times of day but we can not be
certain, as they say. Would a decent mobile signal booster solve this?

FWIW, this smells like another of those dodgy posts.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:
Me and my neighbour both get a poor mobile signal. The sound is distorted
even if rings my mobile from next door on his mobile. Quite possibly it
only happens at certain times of day but we can not be certain, as they
say. Would a decent mobile signal booster solve this?

Depending on your network, some providers will give/sell you a device to
route calls through your own broadband via a picocell.

My sister has one as her house is in a mobile phone not-spot with abysmal
signal strength on all networks.

If your network doesnt have such devices, change to one that has.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
michael adams wrote:
Me and my neighbour both get a poor mobile signal. The sound is distorted
even if rings my mobile from next door on his mobile. Quite possibly it
only happens at certain times of day but we can not be certain, as they
say. Would a decent mobile signal booster solve this?

Depending on your network, some providers will give/sell you a device to
route calls through your own broadband via a picocell.

My sister has one as her house is in a mobile phone not-spot with abysmal
signal strength on all networks.

If your network doesnt have such devices, change to one that has.

They're getting more and more difficult to get nowadays

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2021 20:29, Chris Green wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
michael adams wrote:
Me and my neighbour both get a poor mobile signal. The sound is distorted
even if rings my mobile from next door on his mobile. Quite possibly it
only happens at certain times of day but we can not be certain, as they
say. Would a decent mobile signal booster solve this?

Depending on your network, some providers will give/sell you a device to
route calls through your own broadband via a picocell.

My sister has one as her house is in a mobile phone not-spot with abysmal
signal strength on all networks.

If your network doesnt have such devices, change to one that has.

They're getting more and more difficult to get nowadays

Yes, Wifi calling is the new way.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 2 March 2021 at 20:33:05 UTC, Chris Green wrote:

Depending on your network, some providers will give/sell you a device to
route calls through your own broadband via a picocell.
My sister has one as her house is in a mobile phone not-spot with abysmal
signal strength on all networks.
If your network doesnt have such devices, change to one that has.

They're getting more and more difficult to get nowadays

That is probably because "WiFi calling" works so much better as long
as you have a good internet connection.
The picocells typically have very short range and can be complex to
set up. In the USA they have GPS receivers to restrict where they can
be used and in Europe they use GSM receivers to try and determine
their location by harvesting base station ids.
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
michael adams wrote:
Me and my neighbour both get a poor mobile signal. The sound is
distorted even if rings my mobile from next door on his mobile. Quite
possibly it only happens at certain times of day but we can not be
certain, as they say. Would a decent mobile signal booster solve this?

Depending on your network, some providers will give/sell you a device
to route calls through your own broadband via a picocell.

My sister has one as her house is in a mobile phone not-spot with
abysmal signal strength on all networks.

If your network doesnt have such devices, change to one that has.

They're getting more and more difficult to get nowadays

Yes, Wifi calling is the new way.

and works very well.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2021 21:10, charles wrote:
Tim+ wrote:
michael adams wrote:
Me and my neighbour both get a poor mobile signal. The sound is
distorted even if rings my mobile from next door on his mobile. Quite
possibly it only happens at certain times of day but we can not be
certain, as they say. Would a decent mobile signal booster solve this?

Depending on your network, some providers will give/sell you a device
to route calls through your own broadband via a picocell.

My sister has one as her house is in a mobile phone not-spot with
abysmal signal strength on all networks.

If your network doesnt have such devices, change to one that has.

They're getting more and more difficult to get nowadays

Yes, Wifi calling is the new way.

and works very well.

The only thing that it doesn't work well for is reporting a landline or
internet fault... My brother in law has almost no mobile signal at home.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2021 20:00, Tim+ wrote:
michael adams wrote:
Me and my neighbour both get a poor mobile signal. The sound is distorted
even if rings my mobile from next door on his mobile. Quite possibly it
only happens at certain times of day but we can not be certain, as they
say. Would a decent mobile signal booster solve this?

Depending on your network, some providers will give/sell you a device to
route calls through your own broadband via a picocell.

My sister has one as her house is in a mobile phone not-spot with abysmal
signal strength on all networks.

If your network doesnt have such devices, change to one that has.

Now that many phones support calling over Wifi the picocell offerings
have become redundant. You might still get one second hand though.

Don't whatever you do buy one of the passive things to put your phone on
like I once did. It attaches to a high gain antenna and is supposed to
close couple the phone to it. Came from a reputable supplier but I
noticed that they stopped selling it after too many complaints.

Nothing wrong the the yagi - it works fine on a Mifi pebble. Pointing is
fiddly but it turns just barely connected to a solid high speed link.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:

Now that many phones support calling over Wifi the picocell offerings
have become redundant. You might still get one second hand though.

Don't whatever you do buy one of the passive things to put your phone on
like I once did. It attaches to a high gain antenna and is supposed to
close couple the phone to it. Came from a reputable supplier but I
noticed that they stopped selling it after too many complaints.

Active (not simple passive) signal boosters are now legal, seem to cost
about a grand though ...

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/features-and-news/new-regulations-to-allow-use-of-mobile-phone-repeaters

Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote

Me and my neighbour both get a poor mobile signal.
The sound is distorted even if rings my mobile from next
door on his mobile. Quite possibly it only happens at certain
times of day but we can not be certain, as they say.

Plenty of roughly current phone have wifi
calling which works well in that situation.

Would a decent mobile signal booster solve this?

Depends on what you mean by a decent mobile
signal booster. Picocells work fine, snake oil things
that claim to boost your mobile signal don't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Mar 2021 09:20:11 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"Anonymous" to trolling senile Rodent Speed:
little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
michael adams wrote:
Me and my neighbour both get a poor mobile signal. The sound is
distorted
even if rings my mobile from next door on his mobile. Quite possibly it
only happens at certain times of day but we can not be certain, as they
say. Would a decent mobile signal booster solve this?

Depending on your network, some providers will give/sell you a device to
route calls through your own broadband via a picocell.

My sister has one as her house is in a mobile phone not-spot with
abysmal
signal strength on all networks.

If your network doesnt have such devices, change to one that has.

They're getting more and more difficult to get nowadays

Yes, Wifi calling is the new way.

We are using WhatsApp calling more and more.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
michael adams wrote:
Me and my neighbour both get a poor mobile signal. The sound is
distorted even if rings my mobile from next door on his mobile. Quite
possibly it only happens at certain times of day but we can not be
certain, as they say. Would a decent mobile signal booster solve this?

Depending on your network, some providers will give/sell you a device
to route calls through your own broadband via a picocell.

My sister has one as her house is in a mobile phone not-spot with
abysmal signal strength on all networks.

If your network doesnt have such devices, change to one that has.

They're getting more and more difficult to get nowadays

Yes, Wifi calling is the new way.

and works very well.

and works *pretty* well,unless you have marginal reception when the
stupidPhone will always pick bad cellular over good wifi...

private property.

Karl Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2021 19:02, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 02/03/2021 18:45, michael adams wrote:
Me and my neighbour both get a poor mobile signal. The sound is
distorted even if rings my mobile from next door on his mobile. Quite
possibly it only happens at certain times of day but we can not be
certain, as they say. Would a decent mobile signal booster solve this?

FWIW, this smells like another of those dodgy posts.

(i) it's 'michael adams'
(ii) it's stupid enough to think that cell phones call each other
directly without needing a base station

private property.

Karl Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
michael adams wrote:
Me and my neighbour both get a poor mobile signal. The sound is
distorted even if rings my mobile from next door on his mobile. Quite
possibly it only happens at certain times of day but we can not be
certain, as they say. Would a decent mobile signal booster solve
this?

Depending on your network, some providers will give/sell you a device
to route calls through your own broadband via a picocell.

My sister has one as her house is in a mobile phone not-spot with
abysmal signal strength on all networks.

If your network doesnt have such devices, change to one that has.

They're getting more and more difficult to get nowadays

Yes, Wifi calling is the new way.

and works very well.

and works *pretty* well,unless you have marginal reception when the
stupidPhone will always pick bad cellular over good wifi...

I've had that problem, but I have just found an app "Wifi Calling" which
lets me set callig by Wifi as the priority.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Who knows but in my experience, the booster itself will not help unless its
receiving antenna
can get a good signal from the nearest cell and the phones affected. If
that is not the case then you are wasting your money.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
On 02/03/2021 18:45, michael adams wrote:
Me and my neighbour both get a poor mobile signal. The sound is distorted
even if rings my mobile from next door on his mobile. Quite possibly it
only happens at certain times of day but we can not be certain, as they
say. Would a decent mobile signal booster solve this?

FWIW, this smells like another of those dodgy posts.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
michael adams wrote:
Me and my neighbour both get a poor mobile signal. The sound is
distorted even if rings my mobile from next door on his mobile. Quite
possibly it only happens at certain times of day but we can not be
certain, as they say. Would a decent mobile signal booster solve
this?

Depending on your network, some providers will give/sell you a device
to route calls through your own broadband via a picocell.

My sister has one as her house is in a mobile phone not-spot with
abysmal signal strength on all networks.

If your network doesnt have such devices, change to one that has.

They're getting more and more difficult to get nowadays

Yes, Wifi calling is the new way.

and works very well.

and works *pretty* well,unless you have marginal reception when the
stupidPhone will always pick bad cellular over good wifi...

Put it in aeroplane mode and it will ignore cellular signals. You just
have to remember to enable it again when you go out. My home reception
is pretty marginal so for best battery life I put it into Wifi only.

It helps save power not to have it go - no signal, "ET phone home" at
maximum possible transmit power on a regular basis. My battery life app
also shows effective signal level the correlation is very striking.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2021 10:25, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Who knows but in my experience, the booster itself will not help unless its
receiving antenna
can get a good signal from the nearest cell and the phones affected. If
that is not the case then you are wasting your money.
Brian

There are (at least) two sort of devices used.

Ones which have an external directional high gain cellular antenna and
then rebroadcast it again in band inside the home and ones which do some
sort of Internet redirection over your landline broadband eg

http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBISAPI.DLL/,/?New,Kb=Mobile,Ts=Mobile,T=CaseDoc,Case=obj(5440)

If that link actually works I will be amazed.
Try this one or Google femtocell and Three.

https://www.tubblog.co.uk/blog/tech-guides/using-a-three-home-signal-femtocell-to-improve-a-mobile-phone-signal-2/

They are fairly rare now and you do need to be on Three. I expect the
other network operators have something similar hidden on a webpage.

O2 is the network with zero coverage where I live. Vodafone is the only
one with coverage at a friends house. EE seems to be amongst the best.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2021 21:45, Martin Brown wrote:

Depending on your network, some providers will give/sell you a device to
route calls through your own broadband via a picocell.

My sister has one as her house is in a mobile phone not-spot with
abysmal
signal strength on all networks.

If your network doesnt have such devices, change to one that has.

Now that many phones support calling over Wifi the picocell offerings
have become redundant. You might still get one second hand though.

You might, though it may be difficult/impossible to register it with the
mobile network (They need to know where it is, so it selects the right
Tx frequencies for your district).

The best solution is to select a network and phone that support WiFi
calling, some networks require you to have bought the phone from them,
others, (EE and Sky) don't care, if the phone supports it, it should
work* .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Mar 2021 at 21:45:12 GMT, "Martin Brown"
wrote:

On 02/03/2021 20:00, Tim+ wrote:
michael adams wrote:
Me and my neighbour both get a poor mobile signal. The sound is distorted
even if rings my mobile from next door on his mobile. Quite possibly it
only happens at certain times of day but we can not be certain, as they
say. Would a decent mobile signal booster solve this?

Depending on your network, some providers will give/sell you a device to
route calls through your own broadband via a picocell.

My sister has one as her house is in a mobile phone not-spot with abysmal
signal strength on all networks.

If your network doesnt have such devices, change to one that has.

Now that many phones support calling over Wifi the picocell offerings
have become redundant. You might still get one second hand though.

I've been using iD with wifi calling (£6/month) for about a year now and it
works perfectly well. Added bonus is battery life has increased considerably
as I keep the phone in airplane mode when at home. Which is most of the time
right now. I think you need to check your phone's compatible though.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote :
Depending on your network, some providers will give/sell you a device to
route calls through your own broadband via a picocell.

Don't some phones have that facility built in to them? My Iphone seems
to offer that option.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 02/03/2021 18:45, michael adams wrote:
Me and my neighbour both get a poor mobile signal. The sound is
distorted even if rings my mobile from next door on his mobile. Quite
possibly it only happens at certain times of day but we can not be
certain, as they say. Would a decent mobile signal booster solve this?

FWIW, this smells like another of those dodgy posts.

Yup. Bit out of character for Michael.

--
*How many roads must a man travel down before he admits he is lost?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

There's Vodaphone "Sure Signal"

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
michael adams wrote:
[...]

That is a common suggestion, but it has never worked on my Xiaomi phone
running Android 10 with the latest update. After reading this thread I
google about this problem and found the "Wifi Calling" app which does
let me set Wifi calling as the prefered method of connection.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
michael adams wrote:
Me and my neighbour both get a poor mobile signal. The sound is
distorted
even if rings my mobile from next door on his mobile. Quite possibly
it
only happens at certain times of day but we can not be certain, as
they
say. Would a decent mobile signal booster solve this?

Depending on your network, some providers will give/sell you a device
route calls through your own broadband via a picocell.

My sister has one as her house is in a mobile phone not-spot with
abysmal
signal strength on all networks.

If your network doesnt have such devices, change to one that has.

They're getting more and more difficult to get nowadays

Yes, Wifi calling is the new way.

--
Michael Chare

Although we are close my phone can't pick up his wifi because the walls
insulation uses heat reflective metal foil.

Should I use a powerline adapter to bring the signal from his router into
my house?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2021 12:53, charles wrote:
They are fairly rare now and you do need to be on Three. I expect the
other network operators have something similar hidden on a webpage.

There's Vodaphone "Sure Signal"

Where I last worked in London, the company I was in had a 4G repeater
system covering the three basement levels of their building. It was
installed by O2, but from (dodgy) memory I think users on other mobile
networks were able to use it for their mobile calls, but not internet.

I wonder if large department stores and shopping centres also have that,
and who pays for it? Indoor coverage is something that mobile operators
are keen to support, to keep their users happy.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2021 11:21, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Tim+ wrote :
Depending on your network, some providers will give/sell you a device to
route calls through your own broadband via a picocell.

Don't some phones have that facility built in to them? My Iphone seems
to offer that option.

Different technology.

The pico cells become teeny base wireless masts that cover a very small
area with 2/3/4/5G cell signals, so any phone ill work, but WiFi Calling
actually uses the internet to route calls directly not using cellular
technology at all..and requires a phone equipped with the correct
firmware and a mobile operators that supports it..

As wifi coverage gets more and more ubiquitous I suspect that it will in
a few years become the default way to make a mobile phone call...
....while mobile phone calls decline in favour of whatsapp etc...

--
There is nothing a fleet of dispatchable nuclear power plants cannot do
that cannot be done worse and more expensively and with higher carbon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:

Although we are close my phone can't pick up his wifi because the walls
insulation uses heat reflective metal foil.

Should I use a powerline adapter to bring the signal from his router
into my house?

Bean tins and baler twine?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
michael adams wrote:
[...]

Yes, It seems that not all phones and not all operators behave in the
same way.

And I thought airplane mode disabled wifi and blue tooth as well?

Again seems to depend on the phone whetheryou can turn them on separately

--
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit
atrocities.

Voltaire, Questions sur les Miracles * M. Claparede, Professeur de
Théologie * Genève, par un Proposant: Ou Extrait de Diverses Lettres de
M. de Voltaire

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, March 2, 2021 at 6:46:13 PM UTC, michael adams wrote:
Me and my neighbour both get a poor mobile signal. The sound is distorted
even if rings my mobile from next door on his mobile. Quite possibly it
only happens at certain times of day but we can not be certain, as they
say. Would a decent mobile signal booster solve this?

michael adams

If you have WiFi many telephones can call using that. It's what happens with my Samsung telephone on Three.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2021 14:47, michael adams wrote:
The sound is distorted
*even if rings my mobile from next door on his mobile*.

The staggering level of ignorance evinced by the implications of this
statement...

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
michael adams wrote:
[...]

If he is agreeable, you should run an ethrnet cable from his house to
yours. In your house you could then used an old router appropriately
configured to broadcast the Wifi signal. There are ethernet cables that
are suitable for use outside. In an ideal world the device in your
house should be a Wifi access point powered by PoE from his house to
avoid any risks from the properties being connected to different power
supply electrical phases. Ubiquiti make such devices.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
michael adams wrote:
[...]

powerline doesn't bridge houses. It barely works on one ring main

If he is agreeable, you should run an ethrnet cable from his house to
yours. In your house you could then used an old router appropriately
configured to broadcast the Wifi signal. There are ethernet cables that
are suitable for use outside.* In an ideal world the device in your
house should be a Wifi access point powered by PoE from his house to
avoid any risks from the properties being connected to different power
supply electrical phases.

Ethernet uses isolation transformers on inputs and outputs so there is
no possibility of electrical LF connection via a cat 5 cable for
precisely this reason. In offices having different rooms on different
phases is commonplace. In order to render Ethernet viable in such
spaces, the spec calls for mains isolated transformer coupled IO.

https://electronics.stackexchange.co...ically-coupled

--
People believe certain stories because everyone important tells them,
and people tell those stories because everyone important believes them.

Paul Krugman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
michael adams wrote:
[...]

Followup. Power over Ethernet BREAKS the safety of Ethernet by
transmitting DC power over the Ethernet, It is LESS safe than having
local power

its shoes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

As wifi coverage gets more and more ubiquitous I suspect that it will
in a few years become the default way to make a mobile phone call...
...while mobile phone calls decline in favour of whatsapp etc...

Wifi calling is really just a cousin of the VoLTE protocol, (calling via
your 4G data connection, rather than setting up a call per se)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2021 09:18, Muddymike wrote:
We are using WhatsApp calling more and more.

Mike

Yes, I use it a lot. Very good audio quality.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/03/2021 15:12, Mark Carver wrote:

As wifi coverage gets more and more ubiquitous I suspect that it will
in a few years become the default way to make a mobile phone call...
...while mobile phone calls decline in favour of whatsapp etc...

Wifi calling is really just a cousin of the VoLTE protocol, (calling via
your 4G data connection, rather than setting up a call per se)

Well I am not sure what VoLTE is, but wifi calling is not VOIP as such,
rather it is a way to connect to a normal mobile network across the
internet

I suspect that what will in time happen is a convergence of all
technologies towards VOIP and what happens to be the last half mile will
be almost invisible to the user

--
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit
atrocities.

Voltaire, Questions sur les Miracles * M. Claparede, Professeur de
Théologie * Genève, par un Proposant: Ou Extrait de Diverses Lettres de
M. de Voltaire
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I think the designers of mobile phone (and TV) settings pages were fans
of Zork's "maze of twisty little passages all alike exits are N/E/S/W".

They never make it easy to find some of the more important config
settings. Defaults on TVs are typically burn your eyes out bright and
cartoon levels of colour saturation to work in a shop window display!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

There was.

To quote "We're retiring Sure Signal from our network throughout 2021
and will switch the service off completely in September 2021. This means
you won't be able to use Sure Signal anymore, or register a device to
use it."

The devices failed just after two years when the warranty had expired.
Some of the earlier ones used to explode!

--
Michael Chare