Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electrics to garage

I have a falling down old double garage a little way from the house and
when I rebuild it I should run the electric out to it. If we are all
going to be driving electric cars a garage without power in not going to
be any use.

Previously you might have thought a few KW for lights and a heater,
maybe a hoover, a drill, that sort of thing would be a fair guess of the
requirement, and a battery charger would be a trickle only, but are car
batteries going to have a fast charge facility. That's going to take a
lot of power, what sort of wattage might I need in the next 20 years?

TW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TimW wrote:

are car batteries going to have a fast charge facility. That's going
to take a lot of power, what sort of wattage might I need in the next
20 years?

Unless you're going to spend six-figures on an EV, I'd say 7kW should
cover what you'll need for charging.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TimW wrote:
I have a falling down old double garage a little way from the house and
when I rebuild it I should run the electric out to it. If we are all
going to be driving electric cars a garage without power in not going to
be any use.

Previously you might have thought a few KW for lights and a heater,
maybe a hoover, a drill, that sort of thing would be a fair guess of the
requirement, and a battery charger would be a trickle only, but are car
batteries going to have a fast charge facility. That's going to take a
lot of power, what sort of wattage might I need in the next 20 years?

I'd run a 32A circuit (7kW) for the car charger, unless you have three phase
when it would be 32A three phase. I'd then run another circuit for random
sockets, power tools, etc - ideally 32A but maybe you can only provide 16A,
depends on what capacity you have. The car charger should have its own
feed, rather than shared with other things (although I think you could fit a
secondary CU).

I'd be tempted to throw a data connection in there as well. There are
combined EV power and data cables:
https://www.doncastercables.com/cabl...-cable--CAT5-/

although you might consider running fibre for future proofing:
https://www.fs.com/uk/c/fiber-patch-...-125-mmf=20591

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 19/02/2021 16:30, Andy Burns wrote:

TimW wrote:

are car batteries going to have a fast charge facility. That's going
to take a lot of power, what sort of wattage might I need in the next
20 years?

Unless you're going to spend six-figures on an EV, I'd say 7kW should
cover what you'll need for charging.

I am generally fitting 40A supplies to garages now on newbuilds/rewires.

32A for the charger (even though it might be 10 years away) and the
spare 8A for the other stuff.

The extra cost of the thicker cable when doing the install is very little.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2021 17:06, ARW wrote:

The extra cost of the thicker cable when doing the install is very little.

That was the recieved wisdom when wiring up CAT5 cable. The cable cost
is irrelevant - its all the labour, so always lay 2-3 at once in case...

--
"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight
and understanding".

Marshall McLuhan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2021 16:36, Theo wrote:

although you might consider running fibre for future proofing:
https://www.fs.com/uk/c/fiber-patch-...-125-mmf=20591

Best make it few strands of Fibre, to be safe.

When it becomes possible to have a personal home teleport installed, ye
will need some extreme bandwidth to transfer over ya whole being in
whatever standardised format comes about. Error corrected of course,
don't want DNA dropouts ...

--
Not Me
Posted to uk.d-i-y

More like 30, if single phase. I think Electric cars will be forced on
people but then not many car owners will exist when autonomous pods roam the
streets.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andy Burns" wrote in message

TimW wrote:

are car batteries going to have a fast charge facility. That's going
to take a lot of power, what sort of wattage might I need in the next
20 years?

Unless you're going to spend six-figures on an EV, I'd say 7kW should
cover what you'll need for charging.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

More like 30, if single phase.

kilowatts or amps?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

More like 30, if single phase.

kilowatts or amps?

I think Brian is confused. A typical home EV charger is 7kW/32amp.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 19/02/2021 18:28, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 19/02/2021 16:36, Theo wrote:

although you might consider running fibre for future proofing:
https://www.fs.com/uk/c/fiber-patch-...-125-mmf=20591

Best make it few strands of Fibre, to be safe.

When it becomes possible to have a personal home teleport installed, ye
will need some extremeÂ* bandwidth to transfer over ya whole being in
whatever standardised format comes about. Error corrected of course,
don't want DNA dropouts ...

Teleportation is the future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agpy...l=HarleyMcEvoy

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TimW wrote:

are car batteries going to have a fast charge facility. That's going
to take a lot of power, what sort of wattage might I need in the next
20 years?

Unless you're going to spend six-figures on an EV, I'd say 7kW should
cover what you'll need for charging.

I am generally fitting 40A supplies to garages now on newbuilds/rewires.

32A for the charger (even though it might be 10 years away) and the
spare 8A for the other stuff.

The extra cost of the thicker cable when doing the install is very little.

A single cable, or separate for the 32A and 8A? What size cable if the
garage is about 50m away from the house CU?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TimW wrote:

are car batteries going to have a fast charge facility. That's going
to take a lot of power, what sort of wattage might I need in the next
20 years?

Unless you're going to spend six-figures on an EV, I'd say 7kW should
cover what you'll need for charging.

I am generally fitting 40A supplies to garages now on newbuilds/rewires.

32A for the charger (even though it might be 10 years away) and the
spare 8A for the other stuff.

The extra cost of the thicker cable when doing the install is very little.

A single cable, or separate for the 32A and 8A? What size cable if the
garage is about 50m away from the house CU?

expensive size

https://www.macrotrends.net/1476/cop...cal-chart-data
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

TimW wrote:

are car batteries going to have a fast charge facility. That's going
to take a lot of power, what sort of wattage might I need in the next
20 years?

Unless you're going to spend six-figures on an EV, I'd say 7kW should
cover what you'll need for charging.

I am generally fitting 40A supplies to garages now on newbuilds/rewires.

32A for the charger (even though it might be 10 years away) and the
spare 8A for the other stuff.

The extra cost of the thicker cable when doing the install is very little.

A single cable, or separate for the 32A and 8A?

What size cable if the
garage is about 50m away from the house CU?

A 40A or 45A supply to a separate DB.

At 50m then 16mm (a guess based on experience) or subject to calcs 25mm
for a 63A supply (I am guessing the 16mm will drop more than 3% at 63A)

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/02/2021 16:36, Theo wrote:

although you might consider running fibre for future proofing:
https://www.fs.com/uk/c/fiber-patch-...-125-mmf=20591

Best make it few strands of Fibre, to be safe.

When it becomes possible to have a personal home teleport installed, ye
will need some extremeÂ* bandwidth to transfer over ya whole being in
whatever standardised format comes about. Error corrected of course,
don't want DNA dropouts ...

Run a duct.

I've4 got cat5e out here to my mancave. It's good enough for now, I get
gigabit back to the house. When that isn't fast enough I'll run whatever
it is I need next through the duct.

I've only got 32A though - the cable fed the old garage, and replacing
it was too hard. Direct buried.

Andy

Garage Electrics Martin Carroll UK diy 3 April 28th 09 02:23 PM
Garage electrics and part P Bazza UK diy 39 July 14th 07 02:12 PM
Sink and electrics in a garage - any rules about separation? NoSpam UK diy 10 March 23rd 07 12:03 PM
Garage Electrics Jim UK diy 9 March 10th 07 03:55 AM
garage electrics Cuprager UK diy 12 February 14th 07 01:34 PM