Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sink and electrics in a garage - any rules about separation?

I've got a sink in the back of the garage; on the same wall as the
consumer unit and about 600mm away. Are there any rules for minimum
separation?
If there are rules, can I meet them by building a cupboard around the CU?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NoSpam wrote:
I've got a sink in the back of the garage; on the same wall as the
consumer unit and about 600mm away. Are there any rules for minimum
separation?

Not that give specific distances, but there are general rules (in the
528-02 group of regulations) about protection from foreseeable hazards
and operations from and on non-electrical services. In this case
splashing and condensation are the obvious hazards you need to consider.
Common sense applies, really - if there's an obvious risk of splashing
it's not satisfactory unless the CU is in an enclosure of unusually high
IP rating.

There is generally accepted guidance that sockets and the like should
not be closer then 300 mm to the sink edge, measured horizontally on
plan. But that applies to sockets at the normal sort of height above a
worktop and I'd expect a CU to be somewhat higher, giving a much greater
vertical separation which of course will reduce the risk of splashing.

If there are rules, can I meet them by building a cupboard around the CU?

That might help, but remember that switchgear should be readily
accessible. A CU in a deep cupboard such that stuff could be piled up
in front of it is not a satisfactory arrangement.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Wade wrote:
NoSpam wrote:
[...]

Thanks Andy! It sounds like it would be worth making a simple wooden
barrier - maybe shaped like an "L".

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 00:14:08 +0000 someone who may be NoSpam
wrote this:-

I've got a sink in the back of the garage; on the same wall as the
consumer unit and about 600mm away.

Personally I would be more concerned about whether the earthing
arrangements are up to scratch.

What do people do with the sink? Do they spray water from a hose or
just was their hands? If the former then it is a different situation
to the latter.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

I've got a sink in the back of the garage; on the same wall as the
consumer unit and about 600mm away.

Personally I would be more concerned about whether the earthing
arrangements are up to scratch.

What do people do with the sink? Do they spray water from a hose or
just was their hands? If the former then it is a different situation
to the latter.

All the plumbing is plastic so no Earth required.
It's only used for washing hands/things so the spray risk is small, but
I think a barrier of some form would be a good idea.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

I've got a sink in the back of the garage; on the same wall as the
consumer unit and about 600mm away.

Personally I would be more concerned about whether the earthing
arrangements are up to scratch.

What do people do with the sink? Do they spray water from a hose or
just was their hands? If the former then it is a different situation
to the latter.

All the plumbing is plastic so no Earth required.
It's only used for washing hands/things so the spray risk is small, but
I think a barrier of some form would be a good idea.

On a related matter, please can someone advise me how far from the
bathroom washbasin must the shaver socket should be? It's one of
those proper shaver sockets with an isolating transformer inside.

The current position is about 500mm directly above the basin but I
have an opportunity to move it to somewhere better if that is
desirable.

thank you,

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

That might help, but remember that switchgear should be readily
accessible. A CU in a deep cupboard such that stuff could be piled up
in front of it is not a satisfactory arrangement.

--

Satisfactory to whom? My CU in my house is at the back of the L
shaped cupboard under the stairs and is difficult to get to even

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Mar 2007 08:49:20 -0700, "adder1969"
mused:

That might help, but remember that switchgear should be readily
accessible. A CU in a deep cupboard such that stuff could be piled up
in front of it is not a satisfactory arrangement.

--

Satisfactory to whom?

Anyone and everyone really.

My CU in my house is at the back of the L
shaped cupboard under the stairs and is difficult to get to even
without anything in the cupboard.

I find that unsatisfactory, do you?
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22 Mar 2007 08:31:28 -0700, "Robert Laws"
mused:

On a related matter, please can someone advise me how far from the
bathroom washbasin must the shaver socket should be?

The first reply in this topic answers this question with clarity I
believe.
--
Regards,
Stuart.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 22, 10:55 pm, Lurch wrote:
On 22 Mar 2007 08:31:28 -0700, "Robert Laws"
mused:

On a related matter, please can someone advise me how far from the
bathroom washbasin must the shaver socket [with isolating transformer] should be?

The first reply in this topic answers this question with clarity I
believe.

I don't see that it does..

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robert Laws wrote:
On Mar 22, 10:55 pm, Lurch wrote:
On 22 Mar 2007 08:31:28 -0700, "Robert Laws"
mused:

On a related matter, please can someone advise me how far from the
bathroom washbasin must the shaver socket [with isolating transformer] should be?

The first reply in this topic answers this question with clarity I
believe.

I don't see that it does..

What more information do you need? The shaver supply unit must comply
with BS EN 60742 (i.e. it must have an isolating transformer). It must
not be installed in Zones 0 or 1 (i.e. not in or directly over a bath or
shower tray. If in Zone 2 - immediately adjacent to bath or shower - it
must be located such that direct spray from a shower is unlikely. Other
than that there are no specific restrictions, but the common sense
precautions I mentioned earlier still apply. In its present position is
it likely to get sprayed or splashed? At 500 mm above a basin the risk
of splashing is probably fairly small, although this position does seem
a little low. Something like 600 - 700 mm above basin height is
probably more usual.

--
Andy

Garage Electrics Jim UK diy 9 March 10th 07 03:55 AM
garage electrics Cuprager UK diy 12 February 14th 07 01:34 PM
Sockets Close to Sink and other related electrics TheScullster UK diy 16 March 9th 06 02:44 PM
Snowblower Auger Separation [email protected] Home Repair 1 December 12th 05 12:31 AM
three phase separation drifter UK diy 8 February 6th 04 09:20 PM