Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Safeclene - uses for?

I've ended up with a number of 300ml cans of Safeclene. It is an AF
computer cleaning product described as "Non-flammable Cleaning
Solvent"

They are probably from a time when the IT business I was involved in
sold tape backup machines and these would be sold as consumables to
clean the heads. The can says:

"An internationally-approved safety solvent for tape head and drive
cleaning and for general technical maintenance. "

The AF website doesn't mention much.

and there is some safety data eg:
www.farnell.com/datasheets/1713774.pdf

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/2021 09:46, AnthonyL wrote:
I've ended up with a number of 300ml cans of Safeclene. It is an AF
computer cleaning product described as "Non-flammable Cleaning
Solvent"

They are probably from a time when the IT business I was involved in
sold tape backup machines and these would be sold as consumables to
clean the heads. The can says:

"An internationally-approved safety solvent for tape head and drive
cleaning and for general technical maintenance. "

The AF website doesn't mention much.

and there is some safety data eg:
www.farnell.com/datasheets/1713774.pdf

you could burn it in a model aircraft engine or add some to your petrol
But I do9nt see how a methanol based product is 'non flammable'

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/2021 09:46, AnthonyL wrote:
I've ended up with a number of 300ml cans of Safeclene.Â* It is an AF
computer cleaning product described as "Non-flammable Cleaning
Solvent"

They are probably from a time when the IT business I was involved in
sold tape backup machines and these would be sold as consumables to
clean the heads.Â* The can says:

Â* www.farnell.com/datasheets/1713774.pdf

you could burn it in a model aircraft engine or add some to your petrol
But I do9nt see how a methanol based product is 'non flammable'

Oh I looked carefully, Its a jolly old fluorocarbon. Banned for causing
layers of holes in zones or something

hang on to it for taking grease spots out of your tutu.

Josef Stalin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 15 Feb 2021 11:00:57 +0000, The Natural Philosopher

On 15/02/2021 09:46, AnthonyL wrote:
I've ended up with a number of 300ml cans of Safeclene.Â* It is an AF
computer cleaning product described as "Non-flammable Cleaning
Solvent"

They are probably from a time when the IT business I was involved in
sold tape backup machines and these would be sold as consumables to
clean the heads.Â* The can says:

"An internationally-approved safety solvent for tape head and drive
cleaning and for general technical maintenance. "

The AF website doesn't mention much.

and there is some safety data eg:
Â* www.farnell.com/datasheets/1713774.pdf

you could burn it in a model aircraft engine or add some to your petrol
But I do9nt see how a methanol based product is 'non flammable'

Oh I looked carefully, Its a jolly old fluorocarbon. Banned for causing
layers of holes in zones or something

The lid has the following written on it "Contains NO propellant
included in the 1987 Montreal Protocol on substances that deplete the
Ozone layer"

Even if it did contain CFCs what can I do about it? The genie is
going to get out of the can one way or another and I may as well make
good use of it.

hang on to it for taking grease spots out of your tutu.

So it can do stain removal in material? What about soft furnishings?

I'd wondered if it would be useful for pre-cleaning prior to
soldering.

I'll light a match and spray it. If I don't return to this thread you
will know what happened.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/02/2021 11:07, AnthonyL wrote:
On Mon, 15 Feb 2021 11:00:57 +0000, The Natural Philosopher

On 15/02/2021 09:46, AnthonyL wrote:
I've ended up with a number of 300ml cans of Safeclene.ÂÂ* It is an AF
computer cleaning product described as "Non-flammable Cleaning
Solvent"

They are probably from a time when the IT business I was involved in
sold tape backup machines and these would be sold as consumables to
clean the heads.ÂÂ* The can says:

ÂÂ* www.farnell.com/datasheets/1713774.pdf

you could burn it in a model aircraft engine or add some to your petrol
But I do9nt see how a methanol based product is 'non flammable'

Oh I looked carefully, Its a jolly old fluorocarbon. Banned for causing
layers of holes in zones or something

The lid has the following written on it "Contains NO propellant
included in the 1987 Montreal Protocol on substances that deplete the
Ozone layer"

I bet there was a later protocol than that

Even if it did contain CFCs what can I do about it? The genie is
going to get out of the can one way or another and I may as well make
good use of it.

hang on to it for taking grease spots out of your tutu.

So it can do stain removal in material? What about soft furnishings?

definitely

I'd wondered if it would be useful for pre-cleaning prior to
soldering.

I'll light a match and spray it. If I don't return to this thread you
will know what happened.

No. It is too fluorocarbon heavy to burn

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, that depends on what its mixed with. You would need an awful lot for
the vapour to be burnable.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please