Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default IP Freely (I thought I was lax)

Walked up our lane and back and marveled at the devil may care way
someone has powered their outside lights.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MpU...ew?usp=sharing

You've to admire them in a way haven't you? And let's be honest, these
days it's probably protected well enough.

(A cassette type extension hanging freely by the plug to the lights,
swinging about against an outside wall)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Streater
wrote:
On 04 Feb 2021 at 09:46:06 GMT, R D S wrote:

Walked up our lane and back and marveled at the devil may care way
someone has powered their outside lights.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MpU...ew?usp=sharing

You've to admire them in a way haven't you? And let's be honest, these
days it's probably protected well enough.

(A cassette type extension hanging freely by the plug to the lights,
swinging about against an outside wall)

Cue any number of small boys and their catapults.

would a modern boy know what a catapult is?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2021 09:46, R D S wrote:
Walked up our lane and back and marveled at the devil may care way
someone has powered their outside lights.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MpU...ew?usp=sharing

You've to admire them in a way haven't you? And let's be honest, these
days it's probably protected well enough.

(A cassette type extension hanging freely by the plug to the lights,
swinging about against an outside wall)

I've seen similar or worse. Outside mains floodlight comes with short
cables so extend with a chock block with a few wraps of insulting tape
and then for cable support tape the cable to a cast iron rain water down
pipe (albeit a painted downpipe).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/02/2021 15:18, alan_m wrote:

I've seen similar or worse.Â* Outside mains floodlight comes with short
cables so extend with a chock block with a few wraps of insulting tape
and then for cable support tape the cable to a cast iron rain water down
pipe (albeit a painted downpipe).

From suppliers that intend their products to be *only* fitted by the
trade, mains flood lights will be supplied in packaging straight after
final production testing.

Often this is when the operator has connected just two cores of a 60cm
3-core cable then whacked it onto a test supply, just to see it works.

The professional installer will simply throw away that test cable and
install it correctly, making sure that the item is earthed and the rest
of the installation connected safely, screws tight, water proof etc...

The unwary DIY end user (supplied by eBay/Amazon, with the barest of
instructions) will simply instead join that test cable to whatever, and
be completely unaware that there is a bare floating unconnected earth
wire flopping around inside the case, going absolutely nowhere.

Seen a few on BigClive's teardowns.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have to say, that behind my electric coal effect fire in the big sitting
room is a choc block with two display cabinet lights cables in series so
they run at half mains voltage, and then a cable connecting the other ends
to a 13a plug. The problem is or was that the tungsten strip lights needed
to make the crystal sparkle kept on blowing, and now they are dimmer but
never blow, plus you can turn both cabinets off with either switch, but of
course this can cause furrowed brows if you accidentally forget which on you
switched it off with last time.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please