Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Is there a 'proper' name for Euro/French two-pin 2.5A sockets?

I am trying to buy a single socket for one of those standard 2-pin
European (French) plugs which are commonly used on table lamps and
such. These have the same size pins and spacing as the round 10 amp
plugs but are slimmer and have 'triangular' ends. I think they're
rated at 2.5 amps.

I know the plug will fit in a bigger round socket or in a German
Schuko socket but I'd prefer to find one specifically for the smaller
plugs so that a big round one won't fit.

I want one that will flush mount if possible, I don't have much
clearance available where it's going to be installed.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/2021 10:58, Chris Green wrote:
I am trying to buy a single socket for one of those standard 2-pin
European (French) plugs which are commonly used on table lamps and
such. These have the same size pins and spacing as the round 10 amp
plugs but are slimmer and have 'triangular' ends. I think they're
rated at 2.5 amps.

It is probably easier to buy a "two pin plug" to fused 13A plug adapter.

I know the plug will fit in a bigger round socket or in a German
Schuko socket but I'd prefer to find one specifically for the smaller
plugs so that a big round one won't fit.

I want one that will flush mount if possible, I don't have much
clearance available where it's going to be installed.

Shaver socket is the only legitimate UK mains connector with that two
pin profile.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:

Shaver socket is the only legitimate UK mains connector with that two
pin profile.

British shaver plugs are not same as the Europlug

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets:_British_and_related_ty pes#BS_4573_.28UK_shaver.29

shaver pins are wider and shorter
europlug gap tapers between pins
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/2021 11:18, Andy Burns wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

Shaver socket is the only legitimate UK mains connector with that two
pin profile.

British shaver plugs are not same as the Europlug

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets:_British_and_related_ty pes#BS_4573_.28UK_shaver.29

shaver pins are wider and shorter
europlug gap tapers between pins

As I discovered on my first ever trip abroad with my electric shaver.

Fortunately the bloke on the hotel reception rifled through a drawer and
found a suitable adaptor for me (presumably left by past Brit !)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:
On 02/02/2021 10:58, Chris Green wrote:
I am trying to buy a single socket for one of those standard 2-pin
European (French) plugs which are commonly used on table lamps and
such. These have the same size pins and spacing as the round 10 amp
plugs but are slimmer and have 'triangular' ends. I think they're
rated at 2.5 amps.

It is probably easier to buy a "two pin plug" to fused 13A plug adapter.

But that will stick out too far and anyway it's not going to be
connected to a 13 amp circuit.

I know the plug will fit in a bigger round socket or in a German
Schuko socket but I'd prefer to find one specifically for the smaller
plugs so that a big round one won't fit.

I want one that will flush mount if possible, I don't have much
clearance available where it's going to be installed.

Shaver socket is the only legitimate UK mains connector with that two
pin profile.

Who said this was going to be in the UK? :-)

The shave socket *isn't* the same anyway, it is a "5 amp 2-pin" socket
and, while a euro two pin will fit into it the pins are thinner than
the socket is designed for.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:

There is no specific socket for Europlugs because Europlugs were
designed to fit into (most? all?) european 2 pin sockets.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

Who said this was going to be in the UK? :-)

There is no specific socket for Europlugs because Europlugs were
designed to fit into (most? all?) european 2 pin sockets.

They're certainly available as part of a multiway adapter, presumably
then so that you can't plug lots of 10 amp loads into a single socket.

I thought I'd seen some individual ones while wandering around French
shops.

I can find in-line ones.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 2 Feb 2021 10:58:15 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

I am trying to buy a single socket for one of those standard 2-pin
European (French) plugs which are commonly used on table lamps and
such. These have the same size pins and spacing as the round 10 amp
plugs but are slimmer and have 'triangular' ends. I think they're
rated at 2.5 amps.

I know the plug will fit in a bigger round socket or in a German
Schuko socket but I'd prefer to find one specifically for the smaller
plugs so that a big round one won't fit.

I want one that will flush mount if possible, I don't have much
clearance available where it's going to be installed.

What about a Danish one?
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/plug-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
(other suppliers available)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/2021 10:58, Chris Green wrote:
I am trying to buy a single socket for one of those standard 2-pin
European (French) plugs which are commonly used on table lamps and
such. These have the same size pins and spacing as the round 10 amp
plugs but are slimmer and have 'triangular' ends. I think they're
rated at 2.5 amps.

I know the plug will fit in a bigger round socket or in a German
Schuko socket but I'd prefer to find one specifically for the smaller
plugs so that a big round one won't fit.

I want one that will flush mount if possible, I don't have much
clearance available where it's going to be installed.

Do you mean socket or adapter? I've used a few of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/European-...K/303869949936

There are variations of plug entry to suit your needs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 2 February 2021 at 13:03:05 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

Who said this was going to be in the UK? :-)

There is no specific socket for Europlugs because Europlugs were
designed to fit into (most? all?) european 2 pin sockets.

They're certainly available as part of a multiway adapter, presumably
then so that you can't plug lots of 10 amp loads into a single socket.

I thought I'd seen some individual ones while wandering around French
shops.

I can find in-line ones.

--
Chris Green
·

If you are looking to replace a 13A UK socket I would save the bother and use one of these.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...ter/index.html
Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

Who said this was going to be in the UK? :-)

There is no specific socket for Europlugs because Europlugs were
designed to fit into (most? all?) european 2 pin sockets.

They're certainly available as part of a multiway adapter, presumably
then so that you can't plug lots of 10 amp loads into a single socket.

I thought I'd seen some individual ones while wandering around French
shops.

I can find in-line ones.

·

If you are looking to replace a 13A UK socket I would save the bother and use one of these.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...ter/index.html
Richard

It's not to "replace a 13A UK socket", I'd have said if it was. The
above converter will project far too much, that's why I specifically
said a flush mounted socket. I already have a surface mount one and
that just sticks out too far.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott wrote:
On Tue, 2 Feb 2021 10:58:15 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

I am trying to buy a single socket for one of those standard 2-pin
European (French) plugs which are commonly used on table lamps and
such. These have the same size pins and spacing as the round 10 amp
plugs but are slimmer and have 'triangular' ends. I think they're
rated at 2.5 amps.

I know the plug will fit in a bigger round socket or in a German
Schuko socket but I'd prefer to find one specifically for the smaller
plugs so that a big round one won't fit.

I want one that will flush mount if possible, I don't have much
clearance available where it's going to be installed.

What about a Danish one?
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/plug-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

That's pretty similar to the standard round French ones in terms of
how it works with a 2-pin plug, something like it will do if I can't
find anything better.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

Who said this was going to be in the UK? :-)

There is no specific socket for Europlugs because Europlugs were
designed to fit into (most? all?) european 2 pin sockets.

They're certainly available as part of a multiway adapter, presumably
then so that you can't plug lots of 10 amp loads into a single socket.

I thought I'd seen some individual ones while wandering around French
shops.

I can find in-line ones.

--
Chris Green
·

If you are looking to replace a 13A UK socket I would save the bother and use one of these.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_In...ter/index.html
Richard

Or do what I do. carry an extension lead around and fit whatever local
plug seems appropriate for the country

e.g to run euro**** in te UK ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Travel-Adap...SYL/ref=sr_1_5

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

Shaver socket is the only legitimate UK mains connector with that two
pin profile.

British shaver plugs are not same as the Europlug

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_power_plugs_and_sockets:_British_and_related_ty pes#BS_4573_.28UK_shaver.29

shaver pins are wider and shorter
europlug gap tapers between pins

Won't what I thought was a Europlug fit a 13 amp socket if you can open
the shutters? And be OK for its rated load?

There was something else called a Euro Facilities plug. Only one I ever
saw was an aux power socket on a Jap power amp. Which switched with the
amp. Came in two and three pin.

--
*Why is 'abbreviation' such a long word?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:
I am trying to buy a single socket for one of those standard 2-pin
European (French) plugs which are commonly used on table lamps and
such. These have the same size pins and spacing as the round 10 amp
plugs but are slimmer and have 'triangular' ends. I think they're
rated at 2.5 amps.

Do you mean:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europlug
which suggests it's a CEE 7 plug, sometimes CEE 7/16.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CEE_7_...gs_and_sockets
which says:

"There is no socket defined by EN 50075; neither is there a socket specified
in CEE 7 to accept only the Europlug. Instead, the Europlug was designed to
be compatible with a range of sockets in common use in Europe. These
sockets, including the CEE 7/1, CEE 7/3 (German/"Schuko"), CEE 7/5 (French),
and most Israeli, Swiss, Danish and Italian sockets, were designed to accept
pins of various diameters, mainly 4.8 mm but also 4.0 mm and 4.5 mm, and are
usually fed by final circuits with either 10 A or 16 A overcurrent
protection devices.[8] To improve contact with socket parts the Europlug has
slightly flexible pins which converge toward their free ends. "

From that page the CEE 7/1 socket looks the most similar. Is this a
situation where you would only provide 2.5A (from your boat's inverter
perhaps) and so you want to discourage fullsize Schuko or French plugs?

Given there is no official matching socket, I think you'd need to provide
either a French or Schuko socket. I would probably lean towards Schuko,
since the large Earth prong on French sockets can foul some adapters.

(although adapters also tend to over-bend the earth spring on Schuko
sockets, so neither is great)

I would avoid Swiss as their hexagonal shape blocks a lot of plugs and
adapters; the Danish ones look OK if you never need an earth; not sure about
Israeli.
https://www.plugsocketmuseum.nl/Overview.html
is worth looking at.

I know the plug will fit in a bigger round socket or in a German
Schuko socket but I'd prefer to find one specifically for the smaller
plugs so that a big round one won't fit.

I don't think that's feasible: the plug is *designed* to fit in a wide
variety of sockets.

I want one that will flush mount if possible, I don't have much
clearance available where it's going to be installed.

The other issue will be to find a matching backbox, if the size and screw
positions don't match between the different types.

If this is for your boat, I'd be tempted to stick with the local system.
Means it'll be easier to fix if something needs replacing, and you're not
stuck with a backbox cutout for a peculiar foreign system.

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 2 Feb 2021 14:08:57 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

Scott wrote:
[...]

I'm just using a double Schuko socket. Remember to set it up as a
fused spur, otherwise you could find your lamp fused at 32 amps.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02 Feb 2021 15:08:37 +0000 (GMT), Theo
wrote:

Chris Green wrote:
[...]

From that page the CEE 7/1 socket looks the most similar. Is this a
situation where you would only provide 2.5A (from your boat's inverter
perhaps) and so you want to discourage fullsize Schuko or French plugs?

Given there is no official matching socket, I think you'd need to provide
either a French or Schuko socket. I would probably lean towards Schuko,
since the large Earth prong on French sockets can foul some adapters.

(although adapters also tend to over-bend the earth spring on Schuko
sockets, so neither is great)

I would avoid Swiss as their hexagonal shape blocks a lot of plugs and
adapters; the Danish ones look OK if you never need an earth; not sure about
Israeli.
https://www.plugsocketmuseum.nl/Overview.html
is worth looking at.

I understand the current (excuse pun!) Danish ones incorporate an
earth.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

Won't what I thought was a Europlug fit a 13 amp socket if you can open
the shutters?

I just tried a europlug into 13A socket, and it's about 2mm too narrow.
On the other end of the europlug lead was a C13, so I was reminded how
perfectly those fit into an XLR mic :-)

And be OK for its rated load?

Apart from a 2.5A device being protected by a 32A MCB on a ring?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo quoted:

To improve contact with socket parts the Europlug has
slightly flexible pins which converge toward their free ends.

I would take issue with that, the europlugs I have seem likely to snap,
rather than flex, if forced ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

[...]

To be fair to the previous poster, these euro adapter plugs leave the
europlug pointing downwards (vertically) so I'm not sure the
protrusion would be any greater than the europlug itself pointing
horizontally.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

Won't what I thought was a Europlug fit a 13 amp socket if you can open
the shutters?

I just tried a europlug into 13A socket, and it's about 2mm too narrow.
On the other end of the europlug lead was a C13, so I was reminded how
perfectly those fit into an XLR mic :-)

And be OK for its rated load?

Apart from a 2.5A device being protected by a 32A MCB on a ring?

If you're talking to me (OP) it's not on a ring/power circuit, it has
its own protection rated suitably for the trivial load.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/2021 10:58, Chris Green wrote:
I am trying to buy a single socket for one of those standard 2-pin
European (French) plugs which are commonly used on table lamps and
such. These have the same size pins and spacing as the round 10 amp
plugs but are slimmer and have 'triangular' ends. I think they're
rated at 2.5 amps.

These BCA adaptors could do with some fettling with a hacksaw?

European to UK Converter Plug, 3A Black - BCA-BK-3A - £2.52 CPC

https://cpc.farnell.com/powerconnect...ack/dp/PL09958

I was considering one to keep my shaver adaptor connected.

Ideally, I'd like a multigang version myself, wall mounting.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Feb 2021 08:35:51 -0000, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)"
wrote:

I notice that you can get 13A plug tops that clamp them horizontally so the
two core wire comes out of the usual place. Sony seem to use those a lot on
their low power devices.
Brian

I've got them on a lamp and some hi-fi stuff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matthias Czech wrote:
Am 02.02.2021 um 11:58 schrieb Chris Green:
I am trying to buy a single socket for one of those standard 2-pin
European (French) plugs which are commonly used on table lamps and
such. These have the same size pins and spacing as the round 10 amp
plugs but are slimmer and have 'triangular' ends. I think they're
rated at 2.5 amps.

ELSO ELG 275914 ?

.... and lots of people said such a thing doesn't exist! :-)

Thank you, pretty much exactly what I'm after (I don't need a twin
socket but it doesn't matter). If they have a box for it as well I'm
there.

Excellent, thanks again.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" wrote:
I notice that you can get 13A plug tops that clamp them horizontally so the
two core wire comes out of the usual place. Sony seem to use those a lot on
their low power devices.

Yes (OP here) I have several of those, they're actually quite a decent
way to manage the 2-pin plugs safely.

However my requirement here is to make a connection to a circuit which
*isn't* a UK power circuit, so it doesn't (and shouldn't) have 13A
sockets to plug in one of those adapters.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Feb 2021 10:14:51 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" wrote:
I notice that you can get 13A plug tops that clamp them horizontally so the
two core wire comes out of the usual place. Sony seem to use those a lot on
their low power devices.

Yes (OP here) I have several of those, they're actually quite a decent
way to manage the 2-pin plugs safely.

However my requirement here is to make a connection to a circuit which
*isn't* a UK power circuit, so it doesn't (and shouldn't) have 13A
sockets to plug in one of those adapters.

After all this debate, would you be inclined to post link to a photo
of the finished result?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" wrote:
I notice that you can get 13A plug tops that clamp them horizontally so the
two core wire comes out of the usual place. Sony seem to use those a lot on
their low power devices.

Yes (OP here) I have several of those, they're actually quite a decent
way to manage the 2-pin plugs safely.

However my requirement here is to make a connection to a circuit which
*isn't* a UK power circuit, so it doesn't (and shouldn't) have 13A
sockets to plug in one of those adapters.

After all this debate, would you be inclined to post link to a photo
of the finished result?

When I've actually done it I guess so, though it's rather inaccessible
at one side of a chest of drawers, that's partly why it can't stick
out too far.

It's only going to look like a bog-standard european socket really
(except for the smaller 'hole').

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" wrote:
I notice that you can get 13A plug tops that clamp them horizontally so the
two core wire comes out of the usual place. Sony seem to use those a lot on
their low power devices.

Yes (OP here) I have several of those, they're actually quite a decent
way to manage the 2-pin plugs safely.

However my requirement here is to make a connection to a circuit which
*isn't* a UK power circuit, so it doesn't (and shouldn't) have 13A
sockets to plug in one of those adapters.

After all this debate, would you be inclined to post link to a photo
of the finished result?

When I've actually done it I guess so, though it's rather inaccessible
at one side of a chest of drawers, that's partly why it can't stick
out too far.

It's only going to look like a bog-standard european socket really
(except for the smaller 'hole').

I'm, still interested. I know what the Danish ones look like and I
know about Schuko. I know some are modular. I am curious to know
what you are installing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/2021 10:58, Chris Green wrote:
I am trying to buy a single socket for one of those standard 2-pin
European (French) plugs which are commonly used on table lamps and
such. These have the same size pins and spacing as the round 10 amp
plugs but are slimmer and have 'triangular' ends. I think they're
rated at 2.5 amps.

I know the plug will fit in a bigger round socket or in a German
Schuko socket but I'd prefer to find one specifically for the smaller
plugs so that a big round one won't fit.

I want one that will flush mount if possible, I don't have much
clearance available where it's going to be installed.

Google for "Swiss power cocket"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 03 Feb 2021 19:37:55 +0000, Michael Chare wrote:

On 02/02/2021 10:58, Chris Green wrote:
I am trying to buy a single socket for one of those standard 2-pin
European (French) plugs which are commonly used on table lamps and
such. These have the same size pins and spacing as the round 10 amp
plugs but are slimmer and have 'triangular' ends. I think they're
rated at 2.5 amps.

I know the plug will fit in a bigger round socket or in a German Schuko
socket but I'd prefer to find one specifically for the smaller plugs so
that a big round one won't fit.

I want one that will flush mount if possible, I don't have much
clearance available where it's going to be installed.

Google for "Swiss power cocket"

Is that a finely made clockwork dildo?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/02/2021 19:37, Michael Chare wrote:
On 02/02/2021 10:58, Chris Green wrote:
I am trying to buy a single socket for one of those standard 2-pin
European (French) plugs which are commonly used on table lamps and
such.Â* These have the same size pins and spacing as the round 10 amp
plugs but are slimmer and have 'triangular' ends.Â* I think they're
rated at 2.5 amps.

I know the plug will fit in a bigger round socket or in a German
Schuko socket but I'd prefer to find one specifically for the smaller
plugs so that a big round one won't fit.

I want one that will flush mount if possible, I don't have much
clearance available where it's going to be installed.

Google for "Swiss power cocket"

??

https://thewimpyvegetarian.com/veget...oa-croquettes/