Posted to uk.d-i-y
Scott[_17_] Scott[_17_] is offline

Default Is there a 'proper' name for Euro/French two-pin 2.5A sockets?

On 02 Feb 2021 15:08:37 +0000 (GMT), Theo
wrote:

Chris Green wrote:
I am trying to buy a single socket for one of those standard 2-pin
European (French) plugs which are commonly used on table lamps and
such. These have the same size pins and spacing as the round 10 amp
plugs but are slimmer and have 'triangular' ends. I think they're
rated at 2.5 amps.

Do you mean:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europlug
which suggests it's a CEE 7 plug, sometimes CEE 7/16.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CEE_7_...gs_and_sockets
which says:

"There is no socket defined by EN 50075; neither is there a socket specified
in CEE 7 to accept only the Europlug. Instead, the Europlug was designed to
be compatible with a range of sockets in common use in Europe. These
sockets, including the CEE 7/1, CEE 7/3 (German/"Schuko"), CEE 7/5 (French),
and most Israeli, Swiss, Danish and Italian sockets, were designed to accept
pins of various diameters, mainly 4.8 mm but also 4.0 mm and 4.5 mm, and are
usually fed by final circuits with either 10 A or 16 A overcurrent
protection devices.[8] To improve contact with socket parts the Europlug has
slightly flexible pins which converge toward their free ends. "

From that page the CEE 7/1 socket looks the most similar. Is this a
situation where you would only provide 2.5A (from your boat's inverter
perhaps) and so you want to discourage fullsize Schuko or French plugs?

Given there is no official matching socket, I think you'd need to provide
either a French or Schuko socket. I would probably lean towards Schuko,
since the large Earth prong on French sockets can foul some adapters.

(although adapters also tend to over-bend the earth spring on Schuko
sockets, so neither is great)

I would avoid Swiss as their hexagonal shape blocks a lot of plugs and
adapters; the Danish ones look OK if you never need an earth; not sure about
Israeli.
https://www.plugsocketmuseum.nl/Overview.html
is worth looking at.

I understand the current (excuse pun!) Danish ones incorporate an
earth.