Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hotpoint Oven turning itself off - diagnosis help please

Hi,

I have a Hotpoint AHP662X built in oven with a fault. If anyone can help with the diagnosis I'd be very grateful. Here's what happens:

1. Turn on oven - normal fan setting.
2. Oven warms up normally, thermostat clicks and the heating up light goes off.
3. After a while - 10 to 30 mins - oven goes off entirely. Fan stopped clock display goes off.
4. A few minutes later the power comes back on.
5. Oven works for a while before repeating the cutting out cycle.

I'm happy digging around in the back and I have a multimeter if more information is needed.

Thanks in anticipation- - Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Gibbons wrote on 31/01/2021 :
I'm happy digging around in the back and I have a multimeter if more
information is needed.

Possibly a poor connection which is heating up when on, then going open
until it cools down.

Never come across one in an oven, but the alternative could be an over-
heat stat, which resets itself when it cools.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 31 Jan 2021 12:24:47 -0800, Mike Gibbons wrote:

Hi,

I have a Hotpoint AHP662X built in oven with a fault. If anyone can
help with the diagnosis I'd be very grateful. Here's what happens:

1. Turn on oven - normal fan setting.
2. Oven warms up normally, thermostat clicks and the heating up light
goes off.
3. After a while - 10 to 30 mins - oven goes off entirely. Fan stopped
clock display goes off.
4. A few minutes later the power comes back on.
5. Oven works for a while before repeating the cutting out cycle.

The Overheat thermostat or its fan are a likely cause. Has it got a case
fan, not for cooking, but to keep the electrics cool? This is normally a
100mm or so fan on the back casing.
It is controlled by either a timer pcb, or a stat. If the internal casing
overheats the stat cuts all power.
Also, on some ovens, the overheat stats for the oven also cut all power.
Check the fan first if it has one, then the 2 or 3 stats.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Someone I know used to turn the cooker off at the mains as the fan running
on bothered him - he thought it was a fault!
I bet he wasnt the only person to misunderstand the fan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 1 February 2021 at 09:17:41 UTC, JohnP wrote:

Someone I know used to turn the cooker off at the mains as the fan running
on bothered him - he thought it was a fault!
I bet he wasnt the only person to misunderstand the fan.

Thanks all - I'll get the oven out in the next day or so and have a dig around

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 31 Jan 2021 15:00:21 -0600, Alan wrote:

[...]

Another diagnostic question I'd ask is: how hot are you setting it and
how hot is it actually getting before it cuts out?

My son had a similar problem with a similar oven: the oven thermostat
had failed so the thing kept on heating up until the thermal cut-out
-erme- cut out. That took around half an hour from switch-on IIRC.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 1 February 2021 at 09:56:01 UTC, Nick Odell wrote:
[...]

Hi Nick,

Good point. I have it set to 200 degrees. The main thermostat gives the appearance of working:

Turn oven on - warming up light comes on.
Some time later a click sounds and the light goes off.
Some time after that another click and the light comes back on.

I'm pretty sure that the oven turns itself off when the warming up light is off.

So could it be that the thermostat isn't working even though it looks like it is so the oven keeps on heating up until the overheat trips?

I need to find a way to measure the oven temperature

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/01/2021 21:00, Alan wrote:
[...]

And try running the oven at a lower temperature - say 100'C - and see if
it still cuts out.

--
Cheers
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 1 Feb 2021 02:40:10 -0800 (PST), Mike Gibbons
wrote:

[...]

I think, as a test, I would try setting the oven to a gentle warming
temperature like 60C to 100C and see if the thermostat clicks in and
out and the temperature remains low. If the oven temperature just
keeps on rising I would conclude that the thermostat is knackered: if
the temperature in the oven remains low and the oven still shuts
itself down after half an hour then it must be -erme- something else!

Good luck,

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 1 Feb 2021 10:41:14 +0000, Clive Arthur
wrote:

On 31/01/2021 21:00, Alan wrote:
[...]

Apologies, Clive. I hadn't seen your post when I wrote exactly the
same thing.

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 31/01/2021 21:00, Alan wrote:
[...]

This morning's test:

1. Set temp to 60 degrees with a thermometer in the oven
2. Oven warms up until thermometer shows 52 degrees. Thermostat clicks off. Temperature stops climbing
3. Temperature drops to 47 degrees. Thermostat clicks back on.
4. Thermostat continues maintaining the temperature at about 50 degrees. Oven remains on - tested for 40 mins - normally would have cut out by then.

My conclusion: main thermostat is behaving correctly (at least at 60 degrees) .

I think the next step is to take a look to see if there is a case fan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 31/01/2021 21:00, Alan wrote:
[...]

This afternoon's test:

1. There is a second fan next to a chimney at the top of the oven - everything looks clean and in good condition. It is connected via a temperature sensor in the chimney. I heated up the sensor with my heat gun and after a minute of so the fan turned on - the oven was not switched on.

2. I turned on the oven at low temperature. Used my heat gun to heat the overtemperature thermal cut-out located next to the element. After a minute or so the oven cut out - exactly the same as the fault I have. It came back on a few seconds after I removed the heat gun.

3. My prognosis a) faulty overtemperature cut out operating at the wrong temp b) something else cutting out when things get hot.

4. Proposed course of action: replace the overtemperature cut-out and go round all the connections I can see to make sure they are secure.

How does that sound? Any other ideas?

Thanks again, Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/02/2021 17:19, Mike Gibbons wrote:
This afternoon's test:

1. There is a second fan next to a chimney at the top of the oven -
everything looks clean and in good condition. It is connected via a
temperature sensor in the chimney. I heated up the sensor with my
heat gun and after a minute of so the fan turned on - the oven was
not switched on.

2. I turned on the oven at low temperature. Used my heat gun to
heat the overtemperature thermal cut-out located next to the element.
After a minute or so the oven cut out - exactly the same as the fault
I have. It came back on a few seconds after I removed the heat
gun.

You have reproduced the symptom. You have not identified the cause.

3. My prognosis a) faulty overtemperature cut out operating at the
wrong temp b) something else cutting out when things get hot.

(c) failed man thermostat causing oven to overheat

4. Proposed course of action: replace the overtemperature cut-out
and go round all the connections I can see to make sure they are
secure.

How does that sound? Any other ideas?

Start by buying a cheap oven thermometer and seeing if the stat is
controlling the oven properly..

--
Of what good are dead warriors? €¦ Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Gibbons wrote in
:

4. Proposed course of action: replace the overtemperature cut-out
and go round all the connections I can see to make sure they are
secure.

How does that sound? Any other ideas?

Good analytical method :-)

By all means change the overtemp cutout but I think it an unlikely failure
mode.

More likely I think would be an air leak from the inside of the oven to the
case. With the oven set high that will leak high temperature air into the
case cavity and cause the overhea to trip.

Try an internal visual inspection or feel around for hotspots as the oven
heats up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 2 February 2021 at 11:22:00 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
[...]

Hi Natural Philosopher,

Thanks for your reply. Further back up the thread I did a test as you described. The main thermostat controlled the oven temperature - I had it set to 60 degrees and it clicked in and out maintaining the temp.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 2 February 2021 at 11:31:57 UTC, Peter Burke wrote:
Mike Gibbons wrote in
:
4. Proposed course of action: replace the overtemperature cut-out
and go round all the connections I can see to make sure they are
secure.

How does that sound? Any other ideas?

Good analytical method :-)

By all means change the overtemp cutout but I think it an unlikely failure
mode.

More likely I think would be an air leak from the inside of the oven to the
case. With the oven set high that will leak high temperature air into the
case cavity and cause the overhea to trip.

Try an internal visual inspection or feel around for hotspots as the oven
heats up.

Hi Pete - I will check as you describe. Do you know the temperature that an overheat trips? I'm thinking that I'd be smelling things getting very hot (which I am not) if it was tripping at the correct temperature. One other thing when I shake the overheat sensor I can hear it rattling inside - does anyone know if that's normal? Anyway I have a replacement ordered.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/2021 12:05, Mike Gibbons wrote:
Thanks for your reply. Further back up the thread I did a test as
you described. The main thermostat controlled the oven temperature
- I had it set to 60 degrees and it clicked in and out maintaining
the temp.

Then check that the whole oven has correct ventilation. Its unusual to
over temp at normal cooking temps.

I would expect a hot air gun to trip a *normal* overtemp thermostat
*easily*. they are HOT.

let them."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/02/2021 12:10, Mike Gibbons wrote:
Do you know the temperature that an overheat trips?

Probably in the 100°C-200°C range. Its there to stop stuff catching fire

I'm thinking
that I'd be smelling things getting very hot (which I am not) if it
was tripping at the correct temperature. One other thing when I
shake the overheat sensor I can hear it rattling inside - does anyone
know if that's normal? Anyway I have a replacement ordered.

If its cheap and easy, its the next thing to do

--
"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight
and understanding".

Marshall McLuhan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 2 February 2021 at 12:29:34 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 02/02/2021 12:10, Mike Gibbons wrote:
Do you know the temperature that an overheat trips?

Probably in the 100°C-200°C range. Its there to stop stuff catching fire
I'm thinking
that I'd be smelling things getting very hot (which I am not) if it
was tripping at the correct temperature. One other thing when I
shake the overheat sensor I can hear it rattling inside - does anyone
know if that's normal? Anyway I have a replacement ordered.

If its cheap and easy, its the next thing to do

--
"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight
and understanding".

Marshall McLuhan

Hi all,

I think I'm ready to declare victory on this one. I did as planned - replaced the overheat sensor (£15 ebay) and wiggled all the connectors I could find. The oven has functioned correctly over three days now. Many thanks to all who contributed from my favourite forum! Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Gibbons wrote in
:

I think I'm ready to declare victory on this one. I did as planned -
replaced the overheat sensor (£15 ebay) and wiggled all the
connectors I could find. The oven has functioned correctly over
three days now. Many thanks to all who contributed from my favourite
forum! Mike

Glad you're sorted and thanks for feeding back, I hadn't seen that low temp
trigger failure mode before.