Llurker

Default VCR problem diagnosis help please

I have a JVC HR-VP644U VCR (couldn't find any online manuals or database
entries for it) which has the following problem: Once a tape is in,
everything works fine. However, the tape won't eject if it's in, and if
it's out, the VCR doesn't recognize when I feed it one. If the tape is
(manually) loaded and I press eject, the tape will unload, pause, reload to
play position, and then turn off. I can turn the VCR on and use it just
fine. I have opened the machine up and can't find anything obviously
wrong--no broken pieces, dry belts, broken teeth, etc. I notice that the
switch on the side of the cassette carriage which is activated when I load a
tape doesn't seem to do anything, but I can't prove that it's broken.

Can anyone suggest a likely cause, mechanical or electronic? Would a new
cassette carriage likely fix this? After a lot of looking around and etc, I
wonder if there might be a catch in the portion of the idler mechanism that
is supposed to unload the tape. I can manually cycle the tape in and out,
but when I press the eject button, I wonder if the second half of the eject
action is either not getting triggered, or is not engaging.

Many thanks in advance.
dmn

Asimov

"Llurker" bravely wrote to "All" (18 Jan 05 02:14:35)
--- on the heady topic of "VCR problem diagnosis help please"

Clean mode switch, check tape sensor LED, maybe re-time loading basket.

Ll From: "Llurker"
Ll Xref: aeinews sci.electronics.repair:7584

Ll I have a JVC HR-VP644U VCR (couldn't find any online manuals or
Ll database entries for it) which has the following problem: Once a tape
Ll is in, everything works fine. However, the tape won't eject if it's
Ll in, and if it's out, the VCR doesn't recognize when I feed it one. If
Ll the tape is (manually) loaded and I press eject, the tape will unload,
Ll pause, reload to play position, and then turn off. I can turn the VCR
Ll on and use it just fine. I have opened the machine up and can't find
Ll anything obviously wrong--no broken pieces, dry belts, broken teeth,
Ll etc.
[,,,]

.... If all else fails, hurl it across the room a few times!

Llurker wrote:
[...]

Have you made sure that the carriage is timed to the chassis correctly?
It may just be a gear has jumped a couple of teeth and needs to be
retimed. Good luck on your repair.