Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default vinyl welding wetroom floor and walls

I've been watching youtube videos of hot welding vinyl flooring in wetrooms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkypVuDf9ZU

There's some expensive kit used, and it seems skilled, so may be a time to get in an expert for a few hours work.

Could the vinyl go up the walls of a wet room instead of tiles?

Then instead of all the hassle of tiling and grouting everything could be done in a few hours.

And I think this would be a lot cheaper than a conventional wetroom
like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdl8bzlp-5o

Is there any reason against doing this?

and where would i find someone good at welding vinyl?

George
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George Miles presented the following explanation :
and where would i find someone good at welding vinyl?

It's not that difficult....

Hot air gun, plus a metal roller on a handle. Get the vinyl to melting
point, then run the roller over them to get them to weld. Trick is not
to get it so hot, it burns and be quick with the roller.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield, Esq. wrote:
George Miles presented the following explanation :
and where would i find someone good at welding vinyl?

It's not that difficult....

Hot air gun, plus a metal roller on a handle. Get the vinyl to melting
point, then run the roller over them to get them to weld. Trick is not
to get it so hot, it burns and be quick with the roller.

The standard way is, like metal welding, to use a filler stick. At
least it used to be as my father had a business which made ducting and
he started using PVC for ducting back in the 60s and 70s.

I bought a collection of different plastic welding rods recently too,
had to be careful to keep them labelled so I know which is which.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The problem is that it can go brittle around welds, and the corners are one
place where this happens. It may of course have improved since my day, but
it looks a nice idea until it gets a lot of cleaning and begins to age.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"George Miles" wrote in message
I've been watching youtube videos of hot welding vinyl flooring in
wetrooms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkypVuDf9ZU

There's some expensive kit used, and it seems skilled, so may be a time to
get in an expert for a few hours work.

Could the vinyl go up the walls of a wet room instead of tiles?

Then instead of all the hassle of tiling and grouting everything could be
done in a few hours.

And I think this would be a lot cheaper than a conventional wetroom
like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdl8bzlp-5o

Is there any reason against doing this?

and where would i find someone good at welding vinyl?

George

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, February 1, 2021 at 7:21:05 AM UTC, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
[...]

Might need some sort coving at the base of the wall where it meets the floor or maybe just a triangular fillet. I'm sure I've seen something like this in cold rooms

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/01/2021 21:46, George Miles wrote:

Could the vinyl go up the walls of a wet room instead of tiles?

No, turn the vinyl up the walls about 8". Then fit wetroom wallboards so
the overlap the top edge. No-one tiles wetrooms nowadays.

https://www.decorwallsandflooring.co...om-wall-panels

Bill