Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Multimeter leads

I have a "Precision Gold" PG 017 multi-meter that came with two probes (red and black) with hard points on the ends.

Now though I need probes with grips to hold small wires.
When looking at the adverts, I cannot tell whether the plugs will fit the PG 017.

Can anyone advise?

--
Mint 20.04, kernel 5.4.0-42-generic, Cinnamon 4.6.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 8GB of DRAM.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 11:59:17 +0000, pinnerite wrote:

I have a "Precision Gold" PG 017 multi-meter that came with two probes
(red and black) with hard points on the ends.

Now though I need probes with grips to hold small wires.
When looking at the adverts, I cannot tell whether the plugs will fit
the PG 017.

Can anyone advise?

Look at the answers in your Friday question.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
pinnerite wrote:
I have a "Precision Gold" PG 017 multi-meter that came with two probes (red and black) with hard points on the ends.

Now though I need probes with grips to hold small wires.
When looking at the adverts, I cannot tell whether the plugs will fit the PG 017.

Can anyone advise?

My Maplin Precision Gold (long since dead) used the same leads plug as my
Fluke. Most half decent DVMs use the same (shrouded banana plugs). But the
Maplin one had screw on crock clips which fitted over the prongs for
gripping wires.

Have a look on Ebay to see what's around. Ask the seller if they are
guaranteed to fit.

--
*If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
pinnerite wrote:
I have a "Precision Gold" PG 017 multi-meter that came with two probes (red and black) with hard points on the ends.

Now though I need probes with grips to hold small wires.
When looking at the adverts, I cannot tell whether the plugs will fit the PG 017.

Can anyone advise?

My Maplin Precision Gold (long since dead) used the same leads plug as my
Fluke. Most half decent DVMs use the same (shrouded banana plugs). But the
Maplin one had screw on crock clips which fitted over the prongs for
gripping wires.

FWIW My Maplin DMM has 4mm banana plugs like most others, however the
croc clips that screw onto the ends of the probes have a threaded
section too large to fit on to my Fluke probes even though the clips for
that screw on in a similar way.

The set of leads I find quite useful is this one:

https://cpc.farnell.com/silvertronic...%20probe%20set

It has a set of probes with very fine ends - good for probing into the
ends of DB sockets etc. A set of vampire taps for probing through
insulation, plus a set of clips.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 13:46:22 -0000 (UTC)
jon wrote:

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 11:59:17 +0000, pinnerite wrote:

I have a "Precision Gold" PG 017 multi-meter that came with two probes
(red and black) with hard points on the ends.

Now though I need probes with grips to hold small wires.
When looking at the adverts, I cannot tell whether the plugs will fit
the PG 017.

Can anyone advise?

Look at the answers in your Friday question.

For some reason it did not show up on my Sylpheed reader, although it does show on my "sent" folder, which is why I sent it again.

Thus I do not have the answers to the Friday post either.

--
Mint 20.04, kernel 5.4.0-42-generic, Cinnamon 4.6.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 8GB of DRAM.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 18:54:05 +0000
John Rumm wrote:

In article ,
pinnerite wrote:
[...]

Thanks. That was very helpful. The advert mentions compatibiity with 4mm sockets.

--
Mint 20.04, kernel 5.4.0-42-generic, Cinnamon 4.6.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 8GB of DRAM.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 11:59:17 +0000, pinnerite wrote:

I have a "Precision Gold" PG 017 multi-meter that came with two probes
(red and black) with hard points on the ends.

Now though I need probes with grips to hold small wires.
When looking at the adverts, I cannot tell whether the plugs will fit
the PG 017.

Can anyone advise?

Depending on what current rating you are measuring, these might do what
you want...https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sourcingmap-Length-Solderable-
Multimeters-Grabber/dp/B07F82SMCB/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=logic
+connection+clips&qid=1611644613&sr=8-12
Posted to uk.d-i-y

pinnerite wrote:
Thus I do not have the answers to the Friday post either.

Here you go:
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-3089600-.htm

Theo
*ducks* ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo wrote:
pinnerite wrote:
Thus I do not have the answers to the Friday post either.

Here you go:
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-3089600-.htm

Theo
*ducks* ;-)

There's a Google Groups too. And the presentation today on GG,
isn't all that much different from the hub.

https://groups.google.com/g/uk.d-i-y

https://groups.google.com/g/uk.d-i-y/c/lXXSsJWNmMk

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Jan 2021 07:06:01 -0000 (UTC)
jon wrote:

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 11:59:17 +0000, pinnerite wrote:

I have a "Precision Gold" PG 017 multi-meter that came with two probes
(red and black) with hard points on the ends.

Now though I need probes with grips to hold small wires.
When looking at the adverts, I cannot tell whether the plugs will fit
the PG 017.

Can anyone advise?

Depending on what current rating you are measuring, these might do what
you want...https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sourcingmap-Length-Solderable-
Multimeters-Grabber/dp/B07F82SMCB/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=logic
+connection+clips&qid=1611644613&sr=8-12

Yes I have seen those and similar but nowhere does it explain how they connect to the meter!

--
Mint 20.04, kernel 5.4.0-42-generic, Cinnamon 4.6.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 8GB of DRAM.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2021 13:55, Paul wrote:
Theo wrote:
pinnerite wrote:
Thus I do not have the answers to the Friday post either.

Here you go:
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-3089600-.htm

Theo
*ducks* ;-)

There's a Google Groups too. And the presentation today on GG,
isn't all that much different from the hub.

https://groups.google.com/g/uk.d-i-y

https://groups.google.com/g/uk.d-i-y/c/lXXSsJWNmMk

Yeah but, GG does not dredge up 15 year old threads and promote them
like they are ongoing conversations!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 26 Jan 2021 08:55:38 -0500
Paul wrote:

Theo wrote:
pinnerite wrote:
Thus I do not have the answers to the Friday post either.

Here you go:
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...s-3089600-.htm

Theo
*ducks* ;-)

There's a Google Groups too. And the presentation today on GG,
isn't all that much different from the hub.

https://groups.google.com/g/uk.d-i-y

https://groups.google.com/g/uk.d-i-y/c/lXXSsJWNmMk

Paul

I must say this info is really interesting.
My problem was that I could get hook ended probes but at best (if they came with leads) they were terminated with 2mm banana plud whereas I wanted 4mm shrouded banana plugs.

However I found one source "Warwick Test Supplies" that had wirable mini-hook probes and wireable 4mm shrouded banana plugs. I already had reels of suitable red and black cables.

Of course, always the lucky one, the order acknlwledgement tells me that if they are not in stuck, I might have to wait for up to 28 days for delivery.
So exciting!

--
Mint 20.04, kernel 5.4.0-42-generic, Cinnamon 4.6.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition processor with 8GB of DRAM.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

pinnerite wrote:

Of course, always the lucky one, the order acknlwledgement tells me that if they are not in stuck, I might have to wait for up to 28 days for delivery.
So exciting!

In modern times, we live in a permanent state of suspense.

I'm still trying to get my furnace repair to acknowledge
that they have to order a part for me. Two more days wasted
on dopey *******s.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul wrote:

Theo wrote:
pinnerite wrote:
[...]

job done.
Warwick are good.

The 4mm plugs come in three poarts. The centre section has two grub screws. They were inserted so far in that I couldnm't tell what tool was needed to unscrew them.

An email was responded to quickly. I needed a 1.5mm hext driver. Just the size missing from my set of allen keys.

A filed down screwdriver solved it.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

Alan