Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Why did they say we were overpopulated 50 years ago?

Rod Speed wrote:
David P wrote
Why did they say we were overpopulated 50 years ago,
when the world pop was half of what it is now?

Because fools like Ehrlich were predicting the end
of civilisation as we know it. Fools like Malthus
had been doing that much earlier too.

They all got it wrong and we are doing fine with the
current population and will do in the future too.

The Yale researchers called for ZPG 50 years ago,
but the other scientists didn't chime in, because
they were afraid to "bite the hand that feeds them"
(they get so much of their bread & butter from
Government grants). The people weren't aware of
what the ZPG'ers were looking at, so they didn't
believe anything needed to be done; the politicians
knew that, so they just kicked the can down the road!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David P wrote
Rod Speed wrote
David P wrote

Why did they say we were overpopulated 50 years ago,
when the world pop was half of what it is now?

Because fools like Ehrlich were predicting
the end of civilisation as we know it. Fools like
Malthus had been doing that much earlier too.

They all got it wrong and we are doing fine with the
current population and will do in the future too.

The Yale researchers called for ZPG 50 years ago,

Yep, they were that stupid.

but the other scientists didn't chime in,

Some like Ehrlich did.

Bull**** with ZPG.

The people weren't aware of what
the ZPG'ers were looking at,

More bull****. Ehrlich kept endlessly
raving on about it and still does.

so they didn't believe anything needed to be done;

Plenty did. And they were wrong too.

the politicians knew that, so they
just kicked the can down the road!

Wrong, as always. The problem fixed itself.
NOT one modern first world country is even
self replacing now if you take and immigration
and that true of most of the second world too.

Birth rates are dropping EVERYWHERE, even
in the third world except where the birth rate
is already right down in the noise

India and China, by far the two most populous
countrys in the world, COMBINED arent even self
replacing now, even if you include immigration.

Its fixing itself fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Jan 2021 16:57:35 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the abnormal trolling senile asshole's latest troll**** unread

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
David P wrote
Rod Speed wrote
David P wrote

[...]

Wrong, as always.

Our eating habits say a lot about us, & nowhere is that
more true than in how we consume protein. Nearly 1/5 of
the world's population doesn't get enough of it, while
people in richer countries take in far more than they need.
People also tend to eat more meat as they get wealthier.
That has big consequences for the environment: raising
livestock requires huge amounts of land & crops & now creates
nearly 20% of global greenhouse-gas emissions.

But people aren't necessarily fated to become carnivores as
they rise from poverty. The U.S. & Europe have been stubbornly
addicted to meat for decades, & China & Brazil have indeed
upped their taste for flesh as their economies have grown.
But India's population of over 1 billion hasn't changed its
meat-eating habits much.

It's food for thought for any meat-eater. Greener alternatives
like insects & cultured meat get a lot of attention, but they
are still far pricier than commodity meats (& usually not
nearly as tasty). Asking entire cultures to abandon meat isn't
realistic. But neither is our current pace of consumption.
We're going to have to trim from somewhere.

--Konstantin Kakaes & Emily Luong, in MIT Technology Review

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David P wrote
Rod Speed wrote
David P wrote
Rod Speed wrote
David P wrote

[...]

Yep, they tell us what we prefer to eat.

BULL****.

while people in richer countries
take in far more than they need.

BULL****.

People also tend to eat more meat as they get wealthier.

Wota ****ing surprise.

reams of vegan**** flushed where it belongs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 04:02:41 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
NOT one modern first world country is even
self replacing now if you take and immigration
and that true of most of the second world too.

Birth rates are dropping EVERYWHERE, even
in the third world except where the birth rate
is already right down in the noise

India and China, by far the two most populous
countrys in the world, COMBINED arent even self
replacing now, even if you include immigration.

You were saying that 12 years ago, when the population
was 6.8 billion. Now it's 7.8 billion! lol
1804: 1 billion, 1926: 2 billion, 1963: 3 billion,
1974: 4 billion, 1987: 5 billion, 2000: 6 billion,
2012: 7 billion, 2023: 8 billion.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David P wrote
Rod Speed wrote

NOT ONE modern first world country is even
self replacing now if you take and immigration
and that true of most of the second world too.

Birth rates are dropping EVERYWHERE, even
in the third world except where the birth rate
is already right down in the noise

India and China, by far the two most populous
countrys in the world, COMBINED arent even self
replacing now, even if you include immigration.

You were saying that 12 years ago,

No I wasnt with that last para.

when the population was 6.8 billion. Now it's 7.8 billion! lol
1804: 1 billion, 1926: 2 billion, 1963: 3 billion,
1974: 4 billion, 1987: 5 billion, 2000: 6 billion,
2012: 7 billion, 2023: 8 billion.

Still going to see the population top out, ****wit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 18:59:46 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

cretin's pathological trolling:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2021 07:36, David P wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:
NOT one modern first world country is even
self replacing now if you take and immigration
and that true of most of the second world too.

Birth rates are dropping EVERYWHERE, even
in the third world except where the birth rate
is already right down in the noise

India and China, by far the two most populous
countrys in the world, COMBINED arent even self
replacing now, even if you include immigration.

You were saying that 12 years ago, when the population
was 6.8 billion. Now it's 7.8 billion! lol
1804: 1 billion, 1926: 2 billion, 1963: 3 billion,
1974: 4 billion, 1987: 5 billion, 2000: 6 billion,
2012: 7 billion, 2023: 8 billion.

There is simply a lag. Most countries (certaibnly not all) are now well
below self-replacement rate, but it will be many years before the older
generations die off. Therefore most countries are beyond peak birth
rate, but not yet beyond peak population.

Global population is expected to peak in 2070.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2021 18:42, Steve Walker wrote:
There is simply a lag. Most countries (certaibnly not all) are now well
below self-replacement rate, but it will be many years before the older
generations die off. Therefore most countries are beyond peak birth
rate, but not yet beyond peak population.

Global population is expected to peak in 2070.

I hope you're right (although I'll be surprised if I'm around that
long!) but do you have a source for that?

Andy