Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Snake oil, or not?

I keep getting unsolicited adverts thrust at me in my Twitter feed - two
of which I wonder about.

One is for adjustable spectacles, where you twiddle a knob each side to
adjust the diopter rating of the lenses. Each lens is in two sections,
which move relative to each other. I can't work out whether they slide
from side to side or simply move apart axially. The prices in the
Twitter adverts are ridiculous - special half price offer for *only* £59
- whereas Amazon and Ebay have very similar offerings for a fraction of
that price.

I suspect that they are "snake oil" and that the optics are too poor to
be able to see anything clearly. Also, I wonder how you're supposed to
clean between the sections of the lenses unless (unlikely) they're
hermetically sealed.

Any comments from anyone who has actually tried them?

The other one is for bags filled with bamboo charcoal which are supposed
to filter the air and get rid of smells and dust. These may be in with a
chance in that charcoal does have some filtration qualities - e.g.
war-time gas masks. But unless the air in the room gets circulated
through them, they aren't going to do a lot - unless I'm missing something.

Again, informed comments would be appreciated.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/01/2021 22:59, Roger Mills wrote:

One is for adjustable spectacles, where you twiddle a knob each side to
adjust the diopter rating of the lenses. Each lens is in two sections,
which move relative to each other. I can't work out whether they slide
from side to side or simply move apart axially. The prices in the
Twitter adverts are ridiculous - special half price offer for *only* £59
- whereas Amazon and Ebay have very similar offerings for a fraction of
that price.

And have you read the amazon reviews?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
I keep getting unsolicited adverts thrust at me in my Twitter feed - two
of which I wonder about.

One is for adjustable spectacles, where you twiddle a knob each side to
adjust the diopter rating of the lenses. Each lens is in two sections,
which move relative to each other. I can't work out whether they slide
from side to side or simply move apart axially. The prices in the Twitter
adverts are ridiculous - special half price offer for *only* £59 - whereas
Amazon and Ebay have very similar offerings for a fraction of that price.

I suspect that they are "snake oil" and that the optics are too poor to be
able to see anything clearly.

Thats not the problem, the problem is
that they are mechanically very poor.

Also, I wonder how you're supposed to clean between the sections of the
lenses unless (unlikely) they're hermetically sealed.

It shouldnt get dirty in there.

Any comments from anyone who has actually tried them?

I did buy one of the cheaper ones but its useless for the reason I stated.

The other one is for bags filled with bamboo charcoal which are supposed
to filter the air and get rid of smells and dust. These may be in with a
chance in that charcoal does have some filtration qualities - e.g.
war-time gas masks. But unless the air in the room gets circulated through
them, they aren't going to do a lot - unless I'm missing something.

No you arent.

Again, informed comments would be appreciated.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 22:59:00 +0000, Roger Mills
wrote:

I keep getting unsolicited adverts thrust at me in my Twitter feed - two
of which I wonder about.

One is for adjustable spectacles, where you twiddle a knob each side to
adjust the diopter rating of the lenses. Each lens is in two sections,
which move relative to each other. I can't work out whether they slide
from side to side or simply move apart axially. The prices in the
Twitter adverts are ridiculous - special half price offer for *only* £59
- whereas Amazon and Ebay have very similar offerings for a fraction of
that price.

I suspect that they are "snake oil" and that the optics are too poor to
be able to see anything clearly. Also, I wonder how you're supposed to
clean between the sections of the lenses unless (unlikely) they're
hermetically sealed.

Any comments from anyone who has actually tried them?

I have been interested in these but the cheapest ons are £30. They
have two lenses on each eye, one of which can be slid sideways by its
knob. This can only adjust the strength in the horizontal plane, so
will introduce astigmatism (but which may be small and acceptable).
Reviews have also said that dirt gets in between the lenses and can't
be cleaned.

So not a good buy.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

[...]

I bought a pair from China for £7 and they were very poorly constructed.
The left eye adjustment didn't work at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 12:00:44 +1100, Fred, better known as cantankerous

FLUSH more of the auto-contradicting senile troll's pathological
auto-contradicting

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing the auto-contradicting senile cretin:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

There are some which are supplied to those with partial sight, these seem to
be a bit like opera glasses but thinner and hinged on the bridge. The idea
is to flick them down when a bus is coming and twiddle the knob to get an
enlarged but smaller field of view to help read the number. I have never
tried them but some people seem to find them useful. The idea of having
sufficient adjustment in one pair of glasses sounds a little suspect to me,
one assumes plastic lenses or they would be heavy like the ones I mentioned
above.
As for filters, that sounds like one of the filters used in a clean air
room I used to visit. It also had high voltage ionisers and all sorts of
other filtration systems in it.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"alan_m" wrote in message
On 19/01/2021 22:59, Roger Mills wrote:

One is for adjustable spectacles, where you twiddle a knob each side to
adjust the diopter rating of the lenses. Each lens is in two sections,
which move relative to each other. I can't work out whether they slide
from side to side or simply move apart axially. The prices in the Twitter
adverts are ridiculous - special half price offer for *only* £59 -
whereas Amazon and Ebay have very similar offerings for a fraction of
that price.

And have you read the amazon reviews?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Something like those bags used to be in those Braun air filter things that
they sold, but to me an isolated little device circulating air on the
sideboard is hardly going to process air over the other side of the room.

There have been devices like this with built in negative ion generators and
all sorts but to be honest I've never noticed anything happen in houses
where they lifed, better off with one of those plug in stink bomb machines,
I mean air fresheners that cause interference to everything and stink the
place out like a freshly valletted car.