Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 17:41:56 +1100, Fred, better known as cantankerous

FLUSH the auto-contradicting trolling senile asshole's latest troll****
unread

--
"Who or What is Rod Speed?

man" on the InterNet."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 19:29:03 +1100, Fred, better known as cantankerous

about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Battery for electric car.

On 22/01/2021 08:31, Roland Perry wrote:
And once again, not on simultaneously in every house in the street.

Bless! "The wind is always blowing somewhere"

--
The New Left are the people they warned you about.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 10:23:20 on Fri, 22 Jan
2021, The Natural Philosopher remarked:
On 22/01/2021 08:31, Roland Perry wrote:

And once again, not on simultaneously in every house in the street.

Bless! "The wind is always blowing somewhere"

That's another diversity issue, and as you say, one that's rather
suspect.

However, given that the street wiring in much of the country is sized
for 2kW per premises, and they don't burn out very often, we can
conclude just from that evidence, that substation-premises diversity
does in fact work.

Just like the 15kW diversity in my house works (I haven't blown a main
fuse, ever) but if I added even an entry level 7.4kW EV wallbox I think
it probably would [blow the fuse]. I'm investigating getting it upgraded
to 100A as a result.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:
In article ,
Robin wrote:
I would guess a 2kW limit only applies to a tiny number of rural houses.
Where a tractor is a more suitable method of transport.

No one has mentioned as a "2kw limit". It is a figure that DNOs assume
as the /average/ demand per household when planning a network. Around
2kw is what was used for vast numbers of dwellings - including urban
estates. With good justification based on empirical evidence.

The effect on that "after diversity maximum demand" of EVs and heat
pumps is what has the National Grid, DNOs et al looking at massive
investment plus better demand management.

I'm well aware about diversity. Which can apply to charging EVs too.

then please explain /how/ substantial numbers of EVs can be charged at
home in addition to existing use without increasing the ADMD

Please read the part of the tread I was replying to.

--
*You can't have everything, where would you put it?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roland Perry wrote:
Indeed. But that was not the point I was replying to. Which was about how
to charge EVs parked on the street
.

They both use the same backhaul to the substation.

Quite. So makes no difference if charged on a driveway or on the street.
You can find effectively terraced houses each with off street parking.
Meaning it would make no difference to charge one car per house off or on
the street.

The subject of total capacity either local or national is a different
argument.

--
*Wood burns faster when you have to cut and chop it yourself.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 11:02:54 on Fri, 22 Jan
2021, "Dave Plowman (News)" remarked:
In article ,
Roland Perry wrote:

Indeed. But that was not the point I was replying to. Which was about how
to charge EVs parked on the street
.

They both use the same backhaul to the substation.

Quite. So makes no difference if charged on a driveway or on the street.

It makes a huge difference because the on-street charging points are
leeching off the 2kW/premises average for the housing.

Not very many on-street chargers would melt the cabling.

Note that it's also not possible for too many of the houses to also
suddenly start doubling their average consumption by having an
off-street charger.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roland Perry wrote:
Just like the 15kW diversity in my house works (I haven't blown a main
fuse, ever) but if I added even an entry level 7.4kW EV wallbox I think
it probably would [blow the fuse]. I'm investigating getting it upgraded
to 100A as a result.

But surely that is pointless? As we've been told here the cables in your
street ain't built for it?

--
*One of us is thinking about sex... OK, it's me.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:
In article ,
Robin wrote:
I would guess a 2kW limit only applies to a tiny number of rural houses.
Where a tractor is a more suitable method of transport.

No one has mentioned as a "2kw limit". It is a figure that DNOs assume
as the /average/ demand per household when planning a network. Around
2kw is what was used for vast numbers of dwellings - including urban
estates. With good justification based on empirical evidence.

The effect on that "after diversity maximum demand" of EVs and heat
pumps is what has the National Grid, DNOs et al looking at massive
investment plus better demand management.

I'm well aware about diversity. Which can apply to charging EVs too.

then please explain /how/ substantial numbers of EVs can be charged at
home in addition to existing use without increasing the ADMD

Please read the part of the tread I was replying to.

I have done. So I can remind you that /you/ posted:

"I really can't see the problem of providing on street chargers for
every single parking bay on the street."

"I would guess a 2kW limit only applies to a tiny number of rural houses."

That's all at odds with the vast body of work by Ofgem, National Grid,
DNOs et al on ADMDs now and the effect on them of large numbers of EVs
charged at home. But if you won't share what you know that they don't
then we'll just have to make our own guess as to why.
--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2021 15:37, Robin wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Robin wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â*Â* Robin wrote:
I would guess a 2kW limit only applies to a tiny number of rural
houses.
Where a tractor is a more suitable method of transport.

No one has mentioned as a "2kw limit".Â* It is a figure that DNOs
assume
as the /average/ demand per household when planning a network.Â* Around
2kw is what was used for vast numbers of dwellings - including urban
estates.Â* With good justification based on empirical evidence.

The effect on that "after diversity maximum demand" of EVs and heat
pumps is what has the National Grid, DNOs et al looking at massive
investment plus better demand management.

I'm well aware about diversity. Which can apply to charging EVs too.

then please explain /how/ substantial numbers of EVs can be charged at
home in addition to existing use without increasing the ADMD

Please read the part of the tread I was replying to.

I have done. So I can remind you that /you/ posted:

"I really can't see the problem of providing on street chargers for
every single parking bay on the street."

"I would guess a 2kW limit only applies to a tiny number of rural houses."

That's all at odds with the vast body of work by Ofgem, National Grid,
DNOs et al on ADMDs now and the effect on them of large numbers of EVs
charged at home.Â* But if you won't share what you know that they don't
then we'll just have to make our own guess as to why.

Plow**** is, like most lefties, really THICK.

doesnt understand diversity

--
"Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and
higher education positively fortifies it."

- Stephen Vizinczey

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roland Perry wrote:

Indeed. But that was not the point I was replying to. Which was about how
to charge EVs parked on the street
.
They both use the same backhaul to the substation.

Quite. So makes no difference if charged on a driveway or on the street.

It makes a huge difference because the on-street charging points are
leeching off the 2kW/premises average for the housing.

How come? Either you have driveway charging, or one in the street if no
driveway. Both come from the same cable under the road. And don't mean
more chargers in total in the same street.

Not very many on-street chargers would melt the cabling.

Note that it's also not possible for too many of the houses to also
suddenly start doubling their average consumption by having an
off-street charger.

Except that most would charge at night when household usage is low - apart
from storage heating.

--
*PMS jokes aren't funny; period.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:
In article ,
Robin wrote:
In article ,
Robin wrote:
[...]

Can you really not see that applies regardless of where domestic chargers
are situated? Is it so difficult to visualise?

--
*My wife and I had words. But I didn't get to use mine.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:
In article ,
Robin wrote:
In article ,
Robin wrote:
[...]

And where did I say it didn't[1]? But that's a different issue -
orthogonal to your claims about the ease with which charging points
could be provided and the rarity of ADMDs of 2kw or less.

[1] assuming of course the usual but not universal sharing of local
distribution cables by street lights and homes.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 17:47:10 on Fri, 22 Jan
2021, Rod Speed remarked:
Roland Perry wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Roland Perry wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Are there any terraced streets fed by overhead cables with a 2kW per
house limit?

It's not a limit, it's the provision averaged over all the premises
on the street. My son lives on one.

I would guess a 2kW limit only applies to a tiny number of rural
houses.
Where a tractor is a more suitable method of transport.

No, that's the mistake you are making, it applies to a large number
of residential premises (as an average).

Don't believe it's a low as that.

It is.

Don't believe it.

Not only is it true,

It might have been true when most cooked with gas,
but that hasn't been the case for a long time now.

but it's been mentioned by the National Grid as one of the main
constraints on the rollout of electric cars.

By some fool that doesn't have a clue.

They've got all the data.

Mindful also that 1kWh costs an average of 16p in the UK, which if we
multiply up as 18hrs x 365 days, would be a thousand pounds, and very
few people have electricity bills that big.

Irrelevant to what the load is when cooking the evening dinner.

Not everyone is cooking their dinner at the same time

It doesn't vary that much. In spades with xmas dinner.

(or are even at home). Quite a lot will also be cooking with gas.

Not enough to matter anymore.

There's probably more cooking with gas now than there ever was.

Not as a percentage of the houses in the street there isnt.

And plenty use electric fan heaters and radiators too.

Very expensive compared to gas.

Still happens and plenty don't have gas available.

And once again, not on simultaneously in every house in the street.

Doesn't need to be to **** the stupid 2kw per house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 10:23:20 on Fri, 22 Jan 2021,
The Natural Philosopher remarked:
On 22/01/2021 08:31, Roland Perry wrote:

And once again, not on simultaneously in every house in the street.

Bless! "The wind is always blowing somewhere"

That's another diversity issue, and as you say, one that's rather suspect.

However, given that the street wiring in much of the country is sized for
2kW per premises, and they don't burn out very often, we can conclude just
from that evidence, that substation-premises diversity does in fact work.

Its more likely that it isnt actually 2kw per premises.

Just like the 15kW diversity in my house works (I haven't blown a main
fuse, ever) but if I added even an entry level 7.4kW EV wallbox I think it
probably would [blow the fuse]. I'm investigating getting it upgraded to
100A as a result.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Jan 2021 05:44:02 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH troll**** unread

--
Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Jan 2021 05:30:06 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Sqwertz to Rodent Speed:
asshole.
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roland Perry wrote:
Just like the 15kW diversity in my house works (I haven't blown a main
fuse, ever) but if I added even an entry level 7.4kW EV wallbox I think
it probably would [blow the fuse]. I'm investigating getting it upgraded
to 100A as a result.

But surely that is pointless? As we've been told here the cables in your
street ain't built for it?

But surely the local suppliers will think of that, and not let him if
it's a problem?

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
williamwright wrote:

About three orders of magnitude in the size of the copper cables
required.

But pretty short runs.

Depends on the premises.

Do the pavements round your way depend entirely on the premises?

I don't know what you mean. We don't have pavement anyway.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 16:09:44 on Fri, 22 Jan
Roland Perry wrote:

Indeed. But that was not the point I was replying to. Which was about how
to charge EVs parked on the street
.
They both use the same backhaul to the substation.

Quite. So makes no difference if charged on a driveway or on the street.

It makes a huge difference because the on-street charging points are
leeching off the 2kW/premises average for the housing.

How come? Either you have driveway charging, or one in the street if no
driveway. Both come from the same cable under the road. And don't mean
more chargers in total in the same street.

That's a new specification (only one charger per house, irrespective of
where installed), but it doesn't help the power budget of the caling
which would quickly be exceeded.

Not very many on-street chargers would melt the cabling.

Note that it's also not possible for too many of the houses to also
suddenly start doubling their average consumption by having an
off-street charger.

Except that most would charge at night when household usage is low - apart
from storage heating.

Even if you had timers installed (early evening when people get home is
a peak period, and also when they tend to plug their cars in) it still
doesn't work, because you'd have one set of kWH-per-household from say
6am to 10pm (14hrs), and then the second [remember, a car doubles the
average consumption] from 10pm to 6am (10hrs), which means the amperage
overnight is about one and a half that of the daytime. So the cable
still melts.

--
Roland Perry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at 13:58:41 on Fri, 22 Jan
Roland Perry wrote:

Just like the 15kW diversity in my house works (I haven't blown a main
fuse, ever) but if I added even an entry level 7.4kW EV wallbox I think
it probably would [blow the fuse]. I'm investigating getting it upgraded
to 100A as a result.

But surely that is pointless? As we've been told here the cables in your
street ain't built for it?

It's a Tragedy of the Commons. In the short term I could be an early
adopter and have a charger installed, and my one extra load wouldn't be
especially significant. But as soon as several neighbours do the same,
the power company might have to start rationing new installations (or in
the longer term digging up the road to install a bigger cable).

In practice, what seems to happen first isn't actual cables melting
(that's a metaphor) or fuses blowing at the substation, but buried
junction boxes start going intermittent. There's a road near me where
they've dug up and replaced them piecemeal (every hundred yards or so)
over the last few years. So you get a good look every time they dig.

I think the extra demand in that instance has been new-builds/
extensions, rather than car chargers.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at
16:39:46 on Fri, 22 Jan 2021, Robin remarked:
In article ,
Robin wrote:
In article ,
Robin wrote:
In article ,
Robin wrote:
[...]

Street lights in residential areas (rather then trunk roads) are [only]
around 50watts each, and tend to be wired up on local daisy-chain cables
a bit like household ring mains. They are down in the noise level
compared to EV chargers (or even the infamous 2kW per household).
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2021 07:57, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
16:39:46 on Fri, 22 Jan 2021, Robin remarked:

snip

Â*Can you really not see that applies regardless of where domestic
chargers
are situated? Is it so difficult to visualise?

And where did I say it didn't[1]?Â* But that's a different issue -
orthogonal to your claimsÂ* about the ease with which charging points
could be provided and the rarity of ADMDs of 2kw or less.

[1] assuming of course the usual but not universal sharing of local
distribution cables by street lights and homes.

Street lights in residential areas (rather then trunk roads) are [only]
around 50watts each, and tend to be wired up on local daisy-chain cables
a bit like household ring mains. They are down in the noise level
compared to EV chargers (or even the infamous 2kW per household).

My reference to street lights sharing distribution cables with homes was
because some people seem to think that it makes a huge difference if
charging points are on drives or on the street - the latter in
residential areas often meaning on street lights.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , at
08:35:49 on Sat, 23 Jan 2021, Robin remarked:
[...]

The fallacy is that because there's a street light (consuming 50 watts)
it should be possible to install a 7.4kW car charger to every one.

Or in fact several to each one, because on-street parking bays are
typically 8-10 per streetlight.
--
Roland Perry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/01/2021 10:21, Roland Perry wrote:

The fallacy is that because there's a street light (consuming 50 watts)
it should be possible to install a 7.4kW car charger to every one.

Or in fact several to each one, because on-street parking bays are
typically 8-10 per streetlight.

Patently obvious to any Art Student or 'Lefty Brained' individual, innit?

let them."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Robin wrote:
And where did I say it didn't[1]? But that's a different issue -
orthogonal to your claims about the ease with which charging points
could be provided and the rarity of ADMDs of 2kw or less.

FFS. I merely pointed out you don't need a driveway to charge your car if
street points were provided. Any problems with the distribution system
apply equally to driveway charges and street chargers, like for like.

But carry on answering the question you hoped was asked.

--
*WHERE DO FOREST RANGERS GO TO "GET AWAY FROM IT ALL?"

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roland Perry wrote:

Indeed. But that was not the point I was replying to. Which was
about how
to charge EVs parked on the street
.
They both use the same backhaul to the substation.

Quite. So makes no difference if charged on a driveway or on the
street.

It makes a huge difference because the on-street charging points are
leeching off the 2kW/premises average for the housing.

How come? Either you have driveway charging, or one in the street if no
driveway. Both come from the same cable under the road. And don't mean
more chargers in total in the same street.

That's a new specification (only one charger per house, irrespective of
where installed),

Not viable for multicar households, which most are.

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 02:04 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for exactly HALF AN HOUR already!!!! LOL

On Sun, 24 Jan 2021 02:04:19 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

02:04??? And you've been up and trolling since 01:34 already, yet again! Are
your senile hormones not letting you sleep in again, you abnormal
86-year-old trolling senile pest?

--
The Natural Philosopher about senile Rodent:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/01/2021 21:04, Vir Campestris wrote:
In article ,
Roland Perry wrote:
Just like the 15kW diversity in my house works (I haven't blown a main
fuse, ever) but if I added even an entry level 7.4kW EV wallbox I think
it probably would [blow the fuse]. I'm investigating getting it upgraded
to 100A as a result.

But surely that is pointless? As we've been told here the cables in your
street ain't built for it?

But surely the local suppliers will think of that, and not let him if
it's a problem?

You have to apply to the DNO for permission to install a 7kW charger.

Northern Powergrid sent out Freedom Network Services to check our
cut-out before they agreed to let us go ahead.

80A was installed and acceptable, 100A was more than required and they
were reluctant to upgrade to that.

--
Frank

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roland Perry wrote:
Just like the 15kW diversity in my house works (I haven't blown a main
fuse, ever) but if I added even an entry level 7.4kW EV wallbox I think
it probably would [blow the fuse]. I'm investigating getting it
upgraded
to 100A as a result.

But surely that is pointless? As we've been told here the cables in your
street ain't built for it?

But surely the local suppliers will think of that, and not let him if
it's a problem?

You have to apply to the DNO for permission to install a 7kW charger.

Northern Powergrid sent out Freedom Network Services to check our
cut-out before they agreed to let us go ahead.

80A was installed and acceptable, 100A was more than required and they
were reluctant to upgrade to that.

I'm not sure what the diversity is at my house, but
earlier today my natural gas heating device quit (air inducer)
and the part won't be here until Monday. And I'm heating on
approximately 9kW of electric heaters :-)

The best tests are practical tests, when your ass is freezing.

This is the first time I've ever put a load of that magnitude
on the wiring.

Paul