DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Battery for electric car. (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/684336-battery-electric-car.html)

Michael Chare January 19th 21 04:46 PM

Battery for electric car.

At the moment I would not buy an electric car because of their price,
poor range, short battery life (8 years) and unlikely to be warm inside
during the winter. But maybe I could have an electric car with a
Lithium ion phosphate battery like this:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0118113126.htm

Charging at home might take longer than 10 minutes!

--
Michael Chare

Fredxx[_4_] January 19th 21 05:32 PM

Battery for electric car.

On 19/01/2021 16:46, Michael Chare wrote:
At the moment I would not buy an electric car because of their price,
poor range, short battery life (8 years) and unlikely to be warm inside
during the winter.Â* But maybe I could have an electric car with a
Lithium ion phosphate battery like this:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0118113126.htm

Charging at home might take longer than 10 minutes!

I do wonder what home supply you had in mind you'd need to charge 40
kilowatt hour batteries in 10 minutes?

Is every house going to get it's 240kW supply? Were you thinking 3 phase
415V at 200A per phase or single phase at 240V at a mere 1,000A?

RJH[_2_] January 19th 21 07:09 PM

Battery for electric car.

On 19 Jan 2021 at 17:32:35 GMT, "Fredxx" wrote:

On 19/01/2021 16:46, Michael Chare wrote:
At the moment I would not buy an electric car because of their price,
poor range, short battery life (8 years) and unlikely to be warm inside
during the winter.Â* But maybe I could have an electric car with a
Lithium ion phosphate battery like this:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0118113126.htm

Charging at home might take longer than 10 minutes!

I do wonder what home supply you had in mind you'd need to charge 40
kilowatt hour batteries in 10 minutes?

Is every house going to get it's 240kW supply? Were you thinking 3 phase
415V at 200A per phase or single phase at 240V at a mere 1,000A?

No, I think the idea is that petrol stations get repurposed as charging
points, making the process of refuelling much the same as it is at the
moment.

--
Cheers, Rob

Fredxx[_4_] January 19th 21 07:31 PM

Battery for electric car.

On 19/01/2021 19:09, RJH wrote:
On 19 Jan 2021 at 17:32:35 GMT, "Fredxx" wrote:

On 19/01/2021 16:46, Michael Chare wrote:
At the moment I would not buy an electric car because of their price,
poor range, short battery life (8 years) and unlikely to be warm inside
during the winter.Â* But maybe I could have an electric car with a
Lithium ion phosphate battery like this:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0118113126.htm

Charging at home might take longer than 10 minutes!

I do wonder what home supply you had in mind you'd need to charge 40
kilowatt hour batteries in 10 minutes?

Is every house going to get it's 240kW supply? Were you thinking 3 phase
415V at 200A per phase or single phase at 240V at a mere 1,000A?

No, I think the idea is that petrol stations get repurposed as charging
points, making the process of refuelling much the same as it is at the
moment.

Ah, my mistake. I'm still wondering how this might be achieved. There
are a few 2MW gensets on the market. Could cater for 8 charging points?

Perhaps I need to buy futures in copper.

Michael Chare[_4_] January 19th 21 09:13 PM

Battery for electric car.

On 19/01/2021 19:31, Fredxx wrote:
On 19/01/2021 19:09, RJH wrote:
On 19 Jan 2021 at 17:32:35 GMT, "Fredxx" wrote:

On 19/01/2021 16:46, Michael Chare wrote:
Â* At the moment I would not buy an electric car because of their price,
Â* poor range, short battery life (8 years) and unlikely to be warm
inside
Â* during the winter.Â* But maybe I could have an electric car with a
Â* Lithium ion phosphate battery like this:
Â* https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0118113126.htm
Â* Charging at home might take longer than 10 minutes!

I do wonder what home supply you had in mind you'd need to charge 40
kilowatt hour batteries in 10 minutes?

Is every house going to get it's 240kW supply? Were you thinking 3 phase
415V at 200A per phase or single phase at 240V at a mere 1,000A?

No, I think the idea is that petrol stations get repurposed as charging
points, making the process of refuelling much the same as it is at the
moment.

Ah, my mistake. I'm still wondering how this might be achieved. There
are a few 2MW gensets on the market. Could cater for 8 charging points?

Perhaps I need to buy futures in copper.

The battery would make the whole idea of an electric car much more
pratical. If you have off street parking at home you could charge the
car slowly overnight. If you have to park on the street you could visit
a local charging point and wait jiust a bit longer than it takes to fill
a car with petrol or diesel.

--
Michael Chare

Fredxx[_4_] January 19th 21 09:38 PM

Battery for electric car.

On 19/01/2021 19:09, RJH wrote:
[...]

I rather like Tesla's idea, I think now abandoned, where you swap
batteries. You could even choose a capacity for your next journey to
keep rental costs down.

There have been many proposed batteries that have come to nothing.
Before Lithium chemistries were all the rage Sodium Sulphur was the
in-thing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium...sulfur_battery

So, when I see a battery in some scaled production that's when I take
notice.

PeterC January 19th 21 10:10 PM

Battery for electric car.

On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 21:38:02 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

The battery would make the whole idea of an electric car much more
pratical. If you have off street parking at home you could charge the
car slowly overnight. If you have to park on the street you could visit
a local charging point and wait jiust a bit longer than it takes to fill
a car with petrol or diesel.

I rather like Tesla's idea, I think now abandoned, where you swap
batteries. You could even choose a capacity for your next journey to
keep rental costs down.

Nio (Chinese) is to produce a car that has 1000km range and swappable
battery. Park in the bay, choose size of battery wanted, the rest is
automatic. Bit like the loo which can wipe your arse or change your tampon -
be careful what you choose 'don't press /that/ butto.. aaaarrrgh!!!'
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Theo[_3_] January 19th 21 10:32 PM

Battery for electric car.

Tim Streater wrote:
Perhaps some people need to do the ****ing sums.

Bad day?

If you're going to an "electric station" to get your car "refilled" with
volts, you're not gonna put up with it taking 10 minutes. 5 at the
outside. A 40kWH charge in 5 mins is 12 x 40kWH per hour, or 480kW. And
if my local Morrison's station is anything to go by, there could be 12 at
it at once. So, allowing for time to pay, say 400kW continuous at peak
time, or 4.8, say 5MW. Just for one "electric station".

I don't think this would be for your local Morrisons, because many of the
people doing shopping runs would be slow-charging at home or on-street.
This would be targeted at long distance drivers who need a quick fill up -
motorway services, truck drivers, etc. In particular for trucking you can
get away with a smaller battery (ie more payload) if you can fill up
regularly and rapidly.

If you're using it only on larger sites it simplifies things because you
can spread the costs by building on a bigger scale.

Oh, and 480kW. That's your choice of 480V at 1000 amps or 1kV at 480 amps.
Either way, not a cable you want to be handling even assuming you can lift
it.

There are already robotic charging stations, and I assume that might be
needed here. For example a charging connector on the bottom of the car where,
once the negotiation and optical alignment is complete, an arm comes out of
a panel in the ground.

You can also do robotic to conventional 'fuel flap' charging sockets, but
the mechanism is more complex. A car might provide both - fuel flap for the
humans, port underneath for the robots.

And it gets worse: Assume 99% efiiciency in the process. That means you're
looking at getting rid of 5kW of heat generated by the charging process.
That's 60kW for the whole station at peak times. Good luck with that.

Depending on where the heat is generated (conversion electronics rather than
cabling?) you could maybe run a small heat/steam engine? Either way, 60kW
isn't actually that much - it's roughly the output of a petrol car engine,
which is easily cooled (even when not moving).

However a bigger challenge is how to supply that power from the grid, which
won't like such huge demand spikes. I presume it would need a local battery
that is slow-charged (in MW) from the grid and then provides the current
spikes when charging vehicles. It also might have its own solar/wind/etc
generation to reduce grid demand and also transmission losses.

Various things that aren't quite here yet, but I'm sure could be engineered
if the demand was there.

Theo

Dave Plowman (News) January 20th 21 12:43 AM

Battery for electric car.

In article ,
Michael Chare wrote:
If you have off street parking at home you could charge the
car slowly overnight. If you have to park on the street you could visit
a local charging point and wait jiust a bit longer than it takes to fill
a car with petrol or diesel.

I really can't see the problem of providing on street chargers for every
single parking bay on the street. After all we now have phones in our
houses, where once you used a phone box.

--
*Why is the third hand on the watch called a second hand?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Rod Speed January 20th 21 01:03 AM

Battery for electric car.

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Michael Chare wrote:
If you have off street parking at home you could charge the
car slowly overnight. If you have to park on the street you could visit
a local charging point and wait jiust a bit longer than it takes to fill
a car with petrol or diesel.

I really can't see the problem of providing on street
chargers for every single parking bay on the street.

Pity about the cost of that and vandalism.

After all we now have phones in our houses,
where once you used a phone box.

Those are much cheaper.

Paul[_46_] January 20th 21 02:27 AM

Battery for electric car.

Michael Chare wrote:
At the moment I would not buy an electric car because of their price,
poor range, short battery life (8 years) and unlikely to be warm inside
during the winter. But maybe I could have an electric car with a
Lithium ion phosphate battery like this:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0118113126.htm

Charging at home might take longer than 10 minutes!

Um, you know what Lithium iron phosphate is ?

That's the battery in the fairy lights in the garden.
Scaled up in size.

The reason those batteries are in Model 3 cars manufactured
in China, it's part of a Chinese mandate. There isn't an
infinite supply of Cobalt, so some of the battery demand
will be satisfied with Lithium iron phosphate. The Model 3
cars with that battery type in place, are for domestic
consumption in China at the moment. Presumably, this was
the pill Musk had to swallow when getting permission to
build a plant there.

Cubic volume wise, Lithium iron phosphate has half the
range of Lithium Cobalt.

Are you celebrating yet ?

Yes, universities release press releases all the time, but
many of the chemistry advances sink without a bubble appearing
on the surface.

Lithium iron phosphate can still catch fire, but it's more
abuse-tolerant than the cobalt ones. I don't know about
charge cycles. Remember, that in a car application, any sort
of fast charging algorithm, pushes the batteries to the wall.
Anecdotal evidence from owners is, the more times you use
the "max rate" fast charger, the more the car smart charging
algorithm prevents you from using it the next time. To meet
warranty life, the smart charger "backs off and takes longer",
so that the pack will meet warranty life and not need
free replacement by the manufacturer.

And I don't really know how many cycles you get from a fairy
lamp when pushed. Fairy lamps get microamps from their little
solar cell, and they never stop charging (there's no charge
controller needed because they will put up with charging
abuse such as trying to fill them when they're full).

But if you're a determined twit, Lithium iron phosphate will
eventually catch fire, as it has a thermal runaway condition
just like Lithium Cobalt does. All the Lithiums do, because... Lithium.
The Lithium iron phosphate needs just as careful attention to
charge termination as Lithium Cobalt. While the fairy lamp
can overcharge with glee (at microamps of current), a
car sized battery would not put up with pushing 300kW
into it when it's full full full. Now it wants to catch fire.

Paul

williamwright January 20th 21 03:31 AM

Battery for electric car.

On 19/01/2021 21:13, Michael Chare wrote:

car slowly overnight. If you have to park on the street you could visit
a local charging point and wait jiust a bit longer than it takes to fill
a car with petrol or diesel.

A lot longer because you would still have the delays of queuing, paying,
plugging in, unplugging.

Bill

williamwright January 20th 21 03:32 AM

Battery for electric car.

I really can't see the problem of providing on street chargers for every
single parking bay on the street. After all we now have phones in our
houses, where once you used a phone box.

No comparison cost-wise.

Bill

Paul[_46_] January 20th 21 06:40 AM

Battery for electric car.

williamwright wrote:
On 19/01/2021 21:13, Michael Chare wrote:

car slowly overnight. If you have to park on the street you could
visit a local charging point and wait jiust a bit longer than it takes
to fill a car with petrol or diesel.

A lot longer because you would still have the delays of queuing, paying,
plugging in, unplugging.

Bill

There is a way to charge BEV cars without "hose pipes".

https://www.pluglesspower.com/learn-about-plugless/

The only disadvantage of the method, is it wastes about
10% of the energy consumed or so. There are losses.

But, it means you could install those pads in the street
and charge the cars with them. And with no cables or pedestals
next to the parking spot, there are fewer materials to vandalise.
(Damaged charging infrastructure and out-of-commission chargers
are more common than they should be.)

And it doesn't solve the problem of power distribution. There
still has to be a jolly great transformer somewhere to power it.
And as infrastructure costs go, those aren't cheap. It can take
as long as two years, to wind and assemble a custom transformer.

But with a method like that, with overnight parking you might
get away with a 7KW feed per pad. There's no particular need for
345KW in those parking spots.

If you can afford a Porsche Taycan, I don't see a reason you
can't afford a custom charging station for your drive. You could
run six of those off one windmill. And be finished 22.5 minutes later.
And this example, is a way for Porsche to demo fast charging, without
worrying about electric company infrastructure at P.R. events.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2020...ces-22285.html

Paul

alan_m January 20th 21 09:08 AM

Battery for electric car.

On 19/01/2021 17:32, Fredxx wrote:
On 19/01/2021 16:46, Michael Chare wrote:
At the moment I would not buy an electric car because of their price,
poor range, short battery life (8 years) and unlikely to be warm
inside during the winter.Â* But maybe I could have an electric car with
a Lithium ion phosphate battery like this:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0118113126.htm

Charging at home might take longer than 10 minutes!

I do wonder what home supply you had in mind you'd need to charge 40
kilowatt hour batteries in 10 minutes?

Is every house going to get it's 240kW supply? Were you thinking 3 phase
415V at 200A per phase or single phase at 240V at a mere 1,000A?

Isn't the idea that you have a separate charging battery at home which
is charged in slow time but when attached to the car discharged in a
short time?

Peeler[_4_] January 20th 21 09:26 AM

Lonely Obnoxious Cantankerous Auto-contradicting Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 12:03:27 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I really can't see the problem of providing on street
chargers for every single parking bay on the street.

Pity about the cost of that and vandalism.

In auto-contradicting mode again, senile pest?

After all we now have phones in our houses,
where once you used a phone box.

Those are much cheaper.

In auto-contradicting mode again, you abnormal sociopathic senile troll?

--
Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:

Andy Burns[_13_] January 20th 21 09:26 AM

Battery for electric car.

Fredxx wrote:

RJH wrote:

I think the idea is that petrol stations get repurposed as charging
points, making the process of refuelling much the same as it is at the
moment.

Ah, my mistake. I'm still wondering how this might be achieved. There
are a few 2MW gensets on the market. Could cater for 8 charging points?

So, you deliver fuel to petrol stations, run generators on it, then
charge cars ... why not put the fuel direct into cars?

Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) January 20th 21 10:01 AM

Battery for electric car.

Nah, the obvious answer is a kind of overhead wire on all major roads to
keep it charged up and then it can run on battery in the country. grin.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] January 20th 21 11:06 AM

Battery for electric car.

On 20/01/2021 09:26, Andy Burns wrote:
Fredxx wrote:

RJH wrote:

I think the idea is that petrol stations get repurposed as charging
points, making the process of refuelling much the same as it is at the
moment.

Ah, my mistake. I'm still wondering how this might be achieved. There
are a few 2MW gensets on the market. Could cater for 8 charging points?

So, you deliver fuel to petrol stations, run generators on it, then
charge cars ... why not put the fuel direct into cars?

Well we all know it wont be achieved.
The grid is already falling over with the weight of unreliables and it
will take at least 30 years to roll out nukes once the public realises
there is no alternative - and that will take another decade probably.

So 2060 before we have a grid capable of running electric cars.

And it is doubtful that the battery metals will be available then anyway
in that quantity.

--
The biggest threat to humanity comes from socialism, which has utterly
diverted our attention away from what really matters to our existential

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] January 20th 21 11:07 AM

Battery for electric car.

On 20/01/2021 10:54, Tim Streater wrote:
On 20 Jan 2021 at 06:40:02 GMT, Paul wrote:

williamwright wrote:
On 19/01/2021 21:13, Michael Chare wrote:

car slowly overnight. If you have to park on the street you could
visit a local charging point and wait jiust a bit longer than it takes
to fill a car with petrol or diesel.

A lot longer because you would still have the delays of queuing, paying,
plugging in, unplugging.

Bill

There is a way to charge BEV cars without "hose pipes".

https://www.pluglesspower.com/learn-about-plugless/

The only disadvantage of the method, is it wastes about
10% of the energy consumed or so. There are losses.

So with my Morrisons example, waste heat goes up to 600kW. All within the
forecourt.

pump it round the supermarket to keep people warm

--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that

Frédéric Bastiat

Dave Plowman (News) January 20th 21 11:26 AM

Battery for electric car.

In article ,
williamwright wrote:
I really can't see the problem of providing on street chargers for every
single parking bay on the street. After all we now have phones in our
houses, where once you used a phone box.

No comparison cost-wise.

Do you remember how much it cost to have a phone installed in the days
when most didn't have them?

Installing charging posts in a street could be done for not a lot -
assuming they do the same as charging your car in the driveway, and not a
extremely high power device. And a tiny amount relative to the cost of a
new EV.

--
*If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you *

Dave Plowman (News) January 20th 21 11:28 AM

Battery for electric car.

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
On 20 Jan 2021 at 00:43:38 GMT, "Dave Plowman News)"
wrote:

In article , Michael Chare
wrote:
If you have off street parking at home you could charge the car
slowly overnight. If you have to park on the street you could visit
a local charging point and wait jiust a bit longer than it takes to
fill a car with petrol or diesel.

I really can't see the problem of providing on street chargers for
every single parking bay on the street. After all we now have phones
in our houses, where once you used a phone box.

Some of the more crowded streets around here are terraces and have cars
parked up and down both sides of the road after which there is one car's
width left. I don't see them charging on the street. There aren't
"parking bays".

If there is space to park a car, there is space for a simple charging
point beside it.

--
*I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it..

Clive Arthur[_2_] January 20th 21 11:49 AM

Battery for electric car.

On 20/01/2021 10:01, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Nah, the obvious answer is a kind of overhead wire on all major roads to
keep it charged up and then it can run on battery in the country. grin.
Brian

No, Scalextric slots in the road. Or large moving lorries full of
batteries which you can hitch behind for recharging, while someone else
hitches behind you etc. Has the advantage of better aerodynamic
efficiency too, if you have a few.

Take the driver out of the equation and things become easier.

--
Cheers
Clive

The Nomad[_3_] January 20th 21 12:24 PM

Battery for electric car.

On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 11:49:13 +0000, Clive Arthur
wrote:

On 20/01/2021 10:01, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Nah, the obvious answer is a kind of overhead wire on all major roads
to keep it charged up and then it can run on battery in the country.
grin.
Brian

No, Scalextric slots in the road. Or large moving lorries full of
batteries which you can hitch behind for recharging, while someone else
hitches behind you etc. Has the advantage of better aerodynamic
efficiency too, if you have a few.

Take the driver out of the equation and things become easier.

and you have a train ...

Avpx

--
"Just because someone's a member of an ethnic minority doesn't mean
they're not a nasty small-minded little jerk [...]"

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] January 20th 21 12:38 PM

Battery for electric car.

On 20/01/2021 12:16, Tim Streater wrote:
On 20 Jan 2021 at 11:49:13 GMT, Clive Arthur wrote:

On 20/01/2021 10:01, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Nah, the obvious answer is a kind of overhead wire on all major roads to
keep it charged up and then it can run on battery in the country. grin.
Brian

No, Scalextric slots in the road. Or large moving lorries full of
batteries which you can hitch behind for recharging, while someone else
hitches behind you etc. Has the advantage of better aerodynamic
efficiency too, if you have a few.

You've obviously had a few :-)

TBH on a motorway a self driving car end to end with others is no bad
idea, but KV on the road surface is a very *bad* idea.

fully understood.

Andrew[_22_] January 20th 21 12:39 PM

Battery for electric car.

On 19/01/2021 19:09, RJH wrote:
[...]

Definately. RioTinto share price is up from £13 in Feb 2016 to
about £60. An EV car has a lot more copper than an IC one.

Andrew[_22_] January 20th 21 12:40 PM

Battery for electric car.

In article ,
williamwright wrote:
I really can't see the problem of providing on street chargers for every
single parking bay on the street. After all we now have phones in our
houses, where once you used a phone box.

No comparison cost-wise.

Do you remember how much it cost to have a phone installed in the days
when most didn't have them?

Was that before privatisation ?

Andrew[_22_] January 20th 21 12:44 PM

Battery for electric car.

On 20/01/2021 12:16, Tim Streater wrote:
On 20 Jan 2021 at 11:49:13 GMT, Clive Arthur wrote:

On 20/01/2021 10:01, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Nah, the obvious answer is a kind of overhead wire on all major roads to
keep it charged up and then it can run on battery in the country. grin.
Brian

No, Scalextric slots in the road. Or large moving lorries full of
batteries which you can hitch behind for recharging, while someone else
hitches behind you etc. Has the advantage of better aerodynamic
efficiency too, if you have a few.

You've obviously had a few :-)

There is a tram service somewhere in the world that gets its
power from a slot in the road. Austria ?

Theo[_3_] January 20th 21 12:56 PM

Battery for electric car.

Tim Streater wrote:
On 20 Jan 2021 at 11:49:13 GMT, Clive Arthur wrote:

No, Scalextric slots in the road. Or large moving lorries full of
batteries which you can hitch behind for recharging, while someone else
hitches behind you etc. Has the advantage of better aerodynamic
efficiency too, if you have a few.

You've obviously had a few :-)

Not so crazy:
https://www.businessinsider.com/germ...-cables-2019-5

Theo

Clive Arthur[_2_] January 20th 21 01:21 PM

Battery for electric car.

wrote:

On 20/01/2021 10:01, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Â* Nah, the obvious answer is a kind of overhead wire on all major
roads to
Â* keep it charged up and then it can run on battery in the country.
grin.
Â*Â*Â* Brian

No, Scalextric slots in the road.Â* Or large moving lorries full of
batteries which you can hitch behind for recharging, while someone else
hitches behind you etc.Â* Has the advantage of better aerodynamic
efficiency too, if you have a few.

You've obviously had a few :-)

There is a tram service somewhere in the world that gets its
power from a slot in the road. Austria ?

San Francisco cable cars do. Probably not in the way you meant.

--
Cheers
Clive

Clive Arthur[_2_] January 20th 21 01:29 PM

Battery for electric car.

wrote:

On 20/01/2021 10:01, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Â* Nah, the obvious answer is a kind of overhead wire on all major
roads to
Â* keep it charged up and then it can run on battery in the country.
grin.
Â*Â*Â* Brian

No, Scalextric slots in the road.Â* Or large moving lorries full of
batteries which you can hitch behind for recharging, while someone else
hitches behind you etc.Â* Has the advantage of better aerodynamic
efficiency too, if you have a few.

You've obviously had a few :-)

TBH on a motorway a self driving car end to end with others is no bad
idea, but KV on the road surface is a very *bad* idea.

The bikers wouldn't be too keen. I guess you could engineer something
switched and/or enclosed and at a lower voltage (not kelvin-volts as you
suggest anyway), but it would be difficult.

The main issue would be operating and manning the very large hand
controllers.

--
Cheers
Clive

Roland Perry January 20th 21 02:22 PM

Battery for electric car.

In message , at 00:43:38 on Wed, 20 Jan
2021, "Dave Plowman (News)" remarked:
In article ,
Michael Chare wrote:
If you have off street parking at home you could charge the
car slowly overnight. If you have to park on the street you could visit
a local charging point and wait jiust a bit longer than it takes to fill
a car with petrol or diesel.

I really can't see the problem of providing on street chargers for every
single parking bay on the street. After all we now have phones in our
houses, where once you used a phone box.

About three orders of magnitude in the size of the copper cables
required.
--
Roland Perry

williamwright January 20th 21 03:08 PM

Battery for electric car.

Do you remember how much it cost to have a phone installed in the days
when most didn't have them?

That was because the GPO had a monopoly. Mrs Thatcher sorted that out
for us.

Bill

Fredxx[_4_] January 20th 21 03:21 PM

Battery for electric car.

On 20/01/2021 15:08, williamwright wrote:
Do you remember how much it cost to have a phone installed in the days
when most didn't have them?

That was because the GPO had a monopoly. Mrs Thatcher sorted that out
for us.

It still is pretty much a monopoly. Except alternative suppliers can
pick and choose the areas they cable.

The biggest difference was that we were allowed to connect devices
through a single master socket. I think that was sorted by various
interests wanting to sell telephone equipment who lobbied the government.

Roland Perry January 20th 21 04:58 PM

Battery for electric car.

In message , at 15:21:32 on Wed, 20 Jan
2021, Fredxx remarked:
On 20/01/2021 15:08, williamwright wrote:
Do you remember how much it cost to have a phone installed in the days
when most didn't have them?

That was because the GPO had a monopoly. Mrs Thatcher sorted that
out for us.

It still is pretty much a monopoly. Except alternative suppliers can
pick and choose the areas they cable.

The biggest difference was that we were allowed to connect devices
through a single master socket. I think that was sorted by various
interests wanting to sell telephone equipment who lobbied the government.

It was more the philosophical issue of breaking the monopoly because the
GPO phone was only available as rental. As soon as you forced the GPO to
allow you to buy one instead, you had to allow alternative suppliers.

Oddly enough, when ADSL was rolled out initially, you were forced to
rent the modem/router from BT, and it was only when the "wires only"
product became available that you had a choice.
--
Roland Perry

polygonum_on_google[_2_] January 20th 21 05:49 PM

Battery for electric car.

On 19/01/2021 19:09, RJH wrote:
[...]

Choosing a battery capacity would, on its own, be fine. But whatever technology, the battery's mass will approximately double as the capacity doubles.

Designing a car which drives well but can cope with its heaviest single component varying in mass by such very large margins is a challenge.

Maybe, if the additional battery were treated like a trailer, it would be possible? (Imagine a trailer that has it own wheels and snuggles under the boot. So doesn't make the vehicle longer.)

Fred January 20th 21 06:30 PM

Battery for electric car.

"Clive Arthur" wrote in message
On 20/01/2021 10:01, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Nah, the obvious answer is a kind of overhead wire on all major roads to
keep it charged up and then it can run on battery in the country. grin.
Brian

No, Scalextric slots in the road.

Thats not viable at the higher road speeds.

Or large moving lorries full of batteries which you can hitch behind for
recharging, while someone else hitches behind you etc.

Thats not viable either, you are stuck with
the speed of the lorry and its too hard to
leave from in the middle when you need
to particularly for the worst drivers.

Has the advantage of better aerodynamic efficiency too, if you have a few.

Take the driver out of the equation and things become easier.

But makes self driving cars even harder to do.

Rod Speed January 20th 21 06:32 PM

Battery for electric car.

wrote:

On 20/01/2021 10:01, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Nah, the obvious answer is a kind of overhead wire on all major roads
keep it charged up and then it can run on battery in the country.
grin.
Brian

No, Scalextric slots in the road. Or large moving lorries full of
batteries which you can hitch behind for recharging, while someone else
hitches behind you etc. Has the advantage of better aerodynamic
efficiency too, if you have a few.

You've obviously had a few :-)

There is a tram service somewhere in the world that gets its
power from a slot in the road. Austria ?

But they dont go at anything like motorway speeds.

Peeler[_4_] January 20th 21 07:12 PM

More Heavy Trolling by Senile Nym-Shifting Rodent Speed!

On Thu, 21 Jan 2021 05:32:42 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

dennis@home to retarded senile Rot:
"sod off rod you don't have a clue about anything."