Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Textured double glazing units - which way round?

I have just had a new bathroom window and have the same problem, it acts like a mirror. I asked the installer if it had been fitted the wrong way round but he re-assured me it was correct due to heat loss etc. The only thing I think I can do is get a blind !

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...nd-101334-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/01/2021 14:01, Jigs wrote:
I have just had a new bathroom window and have the same problem, it acts
like a mirror. I asked the installer if it had been fitted the wrong way
round butÂ* he re-assured me it was correct due to heat loss etc. The
only thing I think I can do is get a blind !

16 years later, someone came out of the swamp ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew
writes
On 19/01/2021 14:01, Jigs wrote:
I have just had a new bathroom window and have the same problem, it
acts like a mirror. I asked the installer if it had been fitted the
wrong way round but* he re-assured me it was correct due to heat loss
etc. The only thing I think I can do is get a blind !

16 years later, someone came out of the swamp ...

My thought as well but that recent fly through attempt by a Swan is
current:-)

From what I remember of the picture, the pebble glass was on the inside.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/01/2021 20:33, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Andrew
writes
On 19/01/2021 14:01, Jigs wrote:
I have just had a new bathroom window and have the same problem, it
actsÂ* like a mirror. I asked the installer if it had been fitted the
wrong wayÂ* round butÂ* he re-assured me it was correct due to heat
loss etc. TheÂ* only thing I think I can do is get a blind !

16 years later, someone came out of the swamp ...

My thought as well but that recent fly through attempt by a Swan is
current:-)

From what I remember of the picture, the pebble glass was on the inside.

I have frosted glass in toilet/bathroom and in front door and
surrounding porch windows.

The DG window units came with all the stickers still attached which all
said this side outermost. The plain surface was on the outside and the
frosted surface on the inside (cavity side). This gives a flat surface
for cleaning.

On my previous single glazed frosted windows the frosted side was a PITA
to clean without streaks showing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes but in this case it sounds like a new problem of a similar ilk.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andrew" wrote in message
On 19/01/2021 14:01, Jigs wrote:
I have just had a new bathroom window and have the same problem, it acts
like a mirror. I asked the installer if it had been fitted the wrong way
round but he re-assured me it was correct due to heat loss etc. The only
thing I think I can do is get a blind !

16 years later, someone came out of the swamp ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The 'K' soft coating in usually on the plain glass, and is the
side that faces into the window cavity. The patterned glass
goes on the outside.

According to the Pilkington website, it does't actually make that
much difference which way round you install the unit, what is
important is that the coated side is facing into the glass
cavity because it is soft and easily damaged. Ideally the coated
surface should face out.

Andrew

On 20/01/2021 09:54, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Yes but in this case it sounds like a new problem of a similar ilk.
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2021 12:55, Andrew wrote:
The 'K' soft coating in usually on the plain glass, and is the
side that faces into the window cavity. The patterned glass
goes on the outside.

DG has two panes of glass and only one side of the four will be frosted.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2021 13:56, alan_m wrote:
On 20/01/2021 12:55, Andrew wrote:
The 'K' soft coating in usually on the plain glass, and is the
side that faces into the window cavity. The patterned glass
goes on the outside.

DG has two panes of glass and only one side of the four will be frosted.

That's what I said. The patterned glass is the one that faces the
weather. The plain glass, with its reflective coating is on the
inside, with the coated layer itself facing out.

Double glazing units failing Mike Lane UK diy 12 April 29th 08 08:01 PM
Replacement Sealed Units in Wooden Double Glazing Tony UK diy 3 February 28th 06 05:29 PM
double glazing units pulsar UK diy 17 October 20th 05 12:36 PM
Where to buy double glazing sealed units only? [email protected] UK diy 12 January 4th 05 09:02 AM
Double Glazing Units.... sealing of? mark b UK diy 2 August 11th 04 08:43 PM