Default Where to buy double glazing sealed units only?

I need to replace a broken window and it would seem sensible to
replace the glass with a double glazed sealed unit. The last extension
to our house already has sealed units in similar (if not identical)
wooden frames.

The glass is retained by glazing bars and there's lots of spare depth,
it could accomodate a 1cm thick unit quite happily.

Where can one buy 'one off' made to measure sealed units? (if it
works well and is easy to do I might well replace some more) I'm in
South Suffolk if that's at all relevant.

I suspect I might be supposed to get building regulations approval to
do this, or is replacing broken glass with something better OK?

--
Chris Green
Tony Bryer

In article , wrote:
I suspect I might be supposed to get building regulations approval to
do this, or is replacing broken glass with something better OK?

Reglazing or repairing an existing window is outside B.Regs

Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
wrote:
Where can one buy 'one off' made to measure sealed units?

Any glazier will order one - but you'll probably have to pay first. Might
be worth phoning a few for best price. You might get a better price from a
local factory that makes them - if it's worth the hassle. They're not that
much more expensive compared to decent plain glass.

--
*Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Rick Hughes

wrote in message ...
I need to replace a broken window and it would seem sensible to
replace the glass with a double glazed sealed unit. The last extension
to our house already has sealed units in similar (if not identical)
wooden frames.

The glass is retained by glazing bars and there's lots of spare depth,
it could accomodate a 1cm thick unit quite happily.

Where can one buy 'one off' made to measure sealed units? (if it
works well and is easy to do I might well replace some more) I'm in
South Suffolk if that's at all relevant.

It's very easy to get replacement DG units ... look under glazing in Yellow
Pages ... In may area a company called "Glass Systems" make units at about
25% of the cost of going to a window/glazing company.
They will make to your size ... and within reason to whatever thickness DG
you want.

I see no reason to involve building control ...just get on with it, if your
window is down to floor level then it will have to be safety glass.

Rick

Rick Hughes wrote:

wrote in message ...
[...]

Thanks for all the responses everyone.

So, no building control involvement.

I already did have a look in Yellow Pages but didn't see anything
obvious, I'll try some phoning around tomorrow.

--
Chris Green
jon ringwood

there is a company in norwich called uniglaze2 they are very large and have
a fleet of delivery vans/trucks they may deliver, another one in norwich is
unit art glass (i think).

wrote in message

[...]

Sam

"jon ringwood" wrote in message
there is a company in norwich called uniglaze2 they are very large and
have
a fleet of delivery vans/trucks they may deliver, another one in norwich
is
unit art glass (i think).

I can highly recommend http://www.contractglass.co.uk/ as a Norwich glazing
supplier. Very pleasant and helpful and quite a bit cheaper than Uniglaze
for the units we required.

Sam