Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tony

Default Replacement Sealed Units in Wooden Double Glazing

I moved into a new house about 18 months ago which has wooden double
glazing. The house is only about 9 years old, but the previous owners
had fake lead diamond effect stuck all over the windows and this,
combined with poor maintenance, seems to have resulted in the breakdown
of many of the sealed units (misted sealed units).

When I examined the windows it wasn't immediately apparent to me that
the sealed units were easily replaceable. I suppose I expected to see
some sort of putty holding them in, but it all looks like wood to me.

The windows are all awning windows (i.e. hinged across the top
horizontally, as opposed to casement windows which are hinged down one
side to open like a door). Each window has two parts - an upper and a
lower, with the upper being openable and the lower being fixed closed.
The lower parts do seem to have frames which are build into the main
frame (i.e. I might be able to remove a lower window with it's
sub-frame, if you know what I mean).

Anyway, the question is: am I likely to be able to replace just the
sealed units (the glass) or will I need to replace each sub-frame too?
Also, does anyone know of anybody offering the service of replacing
such sealed units in wooden frames?

Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grunff

Tony wrote:
I moved into a new house about 18 months ago which has wooden double
glazing. The house is only about 9 years old, but the previous owners
had fake lead diamond effect stuck all over the windows and this,
combined with poor maintenance, seems to have resulted in the breakdown
of many of the sealed units (misted sealed units).

How does the fake lead flashing result in blown units? Also, how does
'poor maintenance' result in blown units? What preventative maintenance
is there which prolongs the life of sealed units?

Anyway, the question is: am I likely to be able to replace just the
sealed units (the glass)

Yes, there will be beading holding the sealed units in, either on the
inside or on the outside. Removing this beading will allow you access to
the sealed units.

--
Grunff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 15:48:51 +0000, Grunff wrote:

|Tony wrote:
| I moved into a new house about 18 months ago which has wooden double
| glazing. The house is only about 9 years old, but the previous owners
| had fake lead diamond effect stuck all over the windows and this,
| combined with poor maintenance, seems to have resulted in the breakdown
| of many of the sealed units (misted sealed units).
|
|How does the fake lead flashing result in blown units? Also, how does
|'poor maintenance' result in blown units? What preventative maintenance
|is there which prolongs the life of sealed units?
|

| Anyway, the question is: am I likely to be able to replace just the
| sealed units (the glass)
|
|Yes, there will be beading holding the sealed units in, either on the
|inside or on the outside. Removing this beading will allow you access to
|the sealed units.

Get a pair of those suction lifters,
or similar. sealed units are *heavy*.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Freedom of Speech, Expression, Religion, and Democracy are
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Grunff wrote:
how does
'poor maintenance' result in blown units? What preventative maintenance
is there which prolongs the life of sealed units?

If water gets into timber frames it might result in strain being
put on the DG units resulting in premature failure.

Anyway, the question is: am I likely to be able to replace just the
sealed units (the glass)

Yes, there will be beading holding the sealed units in, either on the
inside or on the outside. Removing this beading will allow you access to
the sealed units.

You can buy these unit at a BM or good glazier. They're
surprisingly cheap.

Possibly a workaround for the paperwork needed for fitting a
new window... just fit it, and claim to have replaced the DG
units if anyone says anything.