Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mild detergent - products

Time and again the cleaning/washing instructions are "use a mild
detergent".

It's hard enough to work out what products are detergents let alone
mild.

So without bothering with all the chemistry etc can someone provide
some examples of what I should buy at the supermarket which is "a mild
detergent" or if Fairy Liquid classifies then it's already in the
kitchen cupboard alongside Bicarb of Soda, Soda crystals and bars of
washing soap.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 11:16:26 +0000, AnthonyL wrote:

Time and again the cleaning/washing instructions are "use a mild
detergent".

It's hard enough to work out what products are detergents let alone
mild.

So without bothering with all the chemistry etc can someone provide some
examples of what I should buy at the supermarket which is "a mild
detergent" or if Fairy Liquid classifies then it's already in the
kitchen cupboard alongside Bicarb of Soda, Soda crystals and bars of
washing soap.

A mild detergent is typically a hand dish washing soap that only contains
surfactants that dissolve dirt and grease as opposed to a soap that also
contains builders, which would be classified as a moderately strong
detergent.

Copied from gogle (sic)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2021 11:27, jon wrote:
opposed to a soap that also
contains builders,

Jesus, are they taking the poor men now and making soap of them? Begorrah!

its shoes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 11:27:19 -0000 (UTC), jon wrote:

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 11:16:26 +0000, AnthonyL wrote:

Time and again the cleaning/washing instructions are "use a mild
detergent".

It's hard enough to work out what products are detergents let alone
mild.

So without bothering with all the chemistry etc can someone provide some
examples of what I should buy at the supermarket which is "a mild
detergent" or if Fairy Liquid classifies then it's already in the
kitchen cupboard alongside Bicarb of Soda, Soda crystals and bars of
washing soap.

A mild detergent is typically a hand dish washing soap that only contains
surfactants that dissolve dirt and grease as opposed to a soap that also
contains builders, which would be classified as a moderately strong
detergent.

Copied from gogle (sic)

Yes, I've just about learnt to use "gogle". Is Fairy Liquid a typical
hand dish washing soap ONLY containing surfacants? It doesn't say on
its label.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2021 11:16, AnthonyL wrote:
Time and again the cleaning/washing instructions are "use a mild
detergent".

It's hard enough to work out what products are detergents let alone
mild.

So without bothering with all the chemistry etc can someone provide
some examples of what I should buy at the supermarket which is "a mild
detergent" or if Fairy Liquid classifies then it's already in the
kitchen cupboard alongside Bicarb of Soda, Soda crystals and bars of
washing soap.

Just use a lot less per wash than the amount stated on bottle/box.

For a washing machine a product such as fairy liquid is inappropriate -
it will suds up too much and you will spend the rest of your life trying
to get rid of the white foam.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 12:19:48 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 11/01/2021 11:27, jon wrote:
opposed to a soap that also
contains builders,

Jesus, are they taking the poor men now and making soap of them? Begorrah!

I've always understood you can make soap and glue from fat and bone.
But my bottle of Fairy Liquid does not mention leprechauns on the
label.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2021 11:16, AnthonyL wrote:
Time and again the cleaning/washing instructions are "use a mild
detergent".

It's hard enough to work out what products are detergents let alone
mild.

So without bothering with all the chemistry etc can someone provide
some examples of what I should buy at the supermarket which is "a mild
detergent" or if Fairy Liquid classifies then it's already in the
kitchen cupboard alongside Bicarb of Soda, Soda crystals and bars of
washing soap.

It would help to have more context - e.g. instructions for clothing? car
bodywork? a baby? E.g. Persil Silk & Wool and the like are mild
detergents for clothing but likely to raise a few eyebrows at least if
used on your 6 week old baby while, on the other hand, being unlikely to
keep a shine on your jam jar.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2021 13:02, AnthonyL wrote:
[...]

Detergents are not soaps

Most of them contain something to make them less runny. And feel
slippery. And scent and a colour. Pure detergent is like water. Teepol
is an example.

I cannot see what a 'mild' detergent is. Detergent is detergent. It's as
stupid as 'a rolling boil cooks stuff quicker'. No it doesn't. Its
boiling at 100C or it isn't boiling at all.

Laundry detergents have other crap in them - softeners and possibly bleaches

--
€œIt is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established
authorities are wrong.€

ۥ Voltaire, The Age of Louis XIV
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 11/01/2021 11:27, jon wrote:
opposed to a soap that also
contains builders,

Jesus, are they taking the poor men now and making soap of them? Begorrah!

I've always understood you can make soap and glue from fat and bone.
But my bottle of Fairy Liquid does not mention leprechauns on the
label.

But it has a picture of a baby!

--
"If you dont read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

Mark Twain
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

wrote:

On 11/01/2021 11:27, jon wrote:
opposed to a soap that also contains builders,

Jesus, are they taking the poor men now and making soap of them?
Begorrah!

I've always understood you can make soap and glue from fat and bone.
But my bottle of Fairy Liquid does not mention leprechauns on the
label.

But it has a picture of a baby!

Legend has it that they did it in Auschwitz and lampshades.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 11/01/2021 13:02, AnthonyL wrote:

Yes, I've just about learnt to use "gogle". Is Fairy Liquid a typical
hand dish washing soap ONLY containing surfacants? It doesn't say on
its label.

I was recommended by a hospital to use Fairy Liquid for washing some
equipment they supplied. They said it's much better than hand soap, as
that contains fats and perfumes. I had been using hand soap, and I can
confirm that Fairy Liquid is miles better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 11:16:26 GMT, AnthonyL wrote:

Time and again the cleaning/washing instructions are "use a mild
detergent".

It's hard enough to work out what products are detergents let alone
mild.

So without bothering with all the chemistry etc can someone provide
some examples of what I should buy at the supermarket which is "a mild
detergent" or if Fairy Liquid classifies then it's already in the
kitchen cupboard alongside Bicarb of Soda, Soda crystals and bars of
washing soap.

Bio-D or Ecover. Not detergents (detergents tend to be as noted down
thread). B-D and Ec. liquids are soaps made from coconut oil and the pH
isn't too far from neutral, being slightly acidic.
In the early '90s, Ecover w/u liquid (same base as the laundry liquid) said
on the H&S sheet under ingestion something like 'don't drink too much of it
at once. It was about that time that other such liquids had Bitrex added and
warned abut rinsing well.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes no wonder they think its anti bacteriological. Was not pigs urine used
in some washing up liquids?

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
On 11/01/2021 11:27, jon wrote:
opposed to a soap that also
contains builders,

Jesus, are they taking the poor men now and making soap of them? Begorrah!

its shoes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

Nope, and its pigs ****.

On 11/01/2021 11:27, jon wrote:
opposed to a soap that also
contains builders,

Jesus, are they taking the poor men now and making soap of them?
Begorrah!

its shoes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp addressing Rodent Speed:
"You really are a clueless pillock."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 17:31:04 +0000, GB
wrote:

On 11/01/2021 13:02, AnthonyL wrote:

Yes, I've just about learnt to use "gogle". Is Fairy Liquid a typical
hand dish washing soap ONLY containing surfacants? It doesn't say on
its label.

I was recommended by a hospital to use Fairy Liquid for washing some
equipment they supplied. They said it's much better than hand soap, as
that contains fats and perfumes. I had been using hand soap, and I can
confirm that Fairy Liquid is miles better.

Thanks. I too have some equipment that specifies to wash in mild
detergent and as this thread proves finding what product is a mild
detergent is somewhat beyond uk.d-i-y, and indeed manufacturers'
labels. I had been using Fairy Liquid but then tried a mild soap
(well I think it is mild soap - Wilco brand). I'll now revert to your
hospital recommendation.