Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default TOT packaging waste.

Today around my way it is the dustcart day.

Black sacks for general waste
Pink sacks for "recycle" waste

The pavements seem to have mountains of pink sacks put out for
collection. My estimate is 10x what is normally put out for collection.
It does seem to indicate how much unnecessary packaging that we still
have on what we purchase.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alan_m" wrote in message

Today around my way it is the dustcart day.

Black sacks for general waste
Pink sacks for "recycle" waste

The pavements seem to have mountains of pink sacks put out for collection.
My estimate is 10x what is normally put out for collection. It does seem
to indicate how much unnecessary packaging that we still have on what we
purchase.

Sure but there is no viable alternative.

And few would want no xmas wrapping of presents.

Or even just electronic xmas cards.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 03:07:33 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile psychopath's latest troll**** unread

--
Norman Wells addressing trolling senile Rodent Speed:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
On 29 Dec 2020 at 15:05:31 GMT, alan_m wrote:

Today around my way it is the dustcart day.

Black sacks for general waste Pink sacks for "recycle" waste

The pavements seem to have mountains of pink sacks put out for
collection. My estimate is 10x what is normally put out for
collection. It does seem to indicate how much unnecessary packaging
that we still have on what we purchase.

Blue bin collection + food waste he food waste collected to be turned
into compost. Blue bin contains paper/cardboard in one section, glass,
plastic, tins, metal in the main body of the bin.

That did get me thinking. Despite the claims that the EU governed our
every move, no two councils have the same recycling. And it is very
confusing.

It surely isn't beyond man's abilities to make sensible re-cycling
arrangements? That are universal?

Mate tells me not to crush drinks cans. He was told the machines don't
then recognise them and sent them for landfill. Does that apply to dented
ones too?

--
*It IS as bad as you think, and they ARE out to get you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

Mate tells me not to crush drinks cans. He was told the machines don't
then recognise them and sent them for landfill.

I'd have thought drinks cans would be sorted magnetically (steel) or by
eddy currents (aluminium) ... I have heard the rumour about not crushing
PET bottles as it stops image recognition, but if the council want that
obeying they should mention in in the bumf they send every few months

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain Lastname" wrote in message
On Tuesday, 29 December 2020 at 15:05:36 UTC, alan_m wrote:
The pavements seem to have mountains of pink sacks put out for
collection. My estimate is 10x what is normally put out for collection.
It does seem to indicate how much unnecessary packaging that we still
have on what we purchase.

"Christmas by Amazon."

If you want stuff to make it all the way from China to
UK, and then by parcel post within the UK as individual
items, without breaking, it needs to be packed.

Yep, and for xmas presents with some.

The days of Mr Shopkeeper wrapping something in
brown paper for you to take it home are long gone.

Nope, not with the deli, tho its white paper.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 04:24:06 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest troll**** unread

--
Sqwertz to Rodent Speed:
asshole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2020 15:05, alan_m wrote:

Today around my way it is the dustcart day.

Black sacks for general waste
Pink sacks for "recycle" waste

The pavements seem to have mountains of pink sacks put out for
collection. My estimate is 10x what is normally put out for collection.
It does seem to indicate how much unnecessary packaging that we still
have on what we purchase.

Living in a country area that's near some urban scumbag areas, our lanes
are chocker with flytipping.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
On 29 Dec 2020 at 15:05:31 GMT, alan_m wrote:

Today around my way it is the dustcart day.

Black sacks for general waste Pink sacks for "recycle" waste

The pavements seem to have mountains of pink sacks put out for
collection. My estimate is 10x what is normally put out for
collection. It does seem to indicate how much unnecessary packaging
that we still have on what we purchase.

Blue bin collection + food waste he food waste collected to be turned
into compost. Blue bin contains paper/cardboard in one section, glass,
plastic, tins, metal in the main body of the bin.

That did get me thinking. Despite the claims that the EU governed our
every move, no two councils have the same recycling. And it is very
confusing.

UK seems to lead the world in having crazy local bin colours and
essentially random rules as to what can and cannot be recycled.

Rural waste bins were often green (ours by happenstance are black). That
meant recycling bins are blue (ie not green or black) but due to a
design error ours have concave lids that collect water that gets dumped
in on the contents (ruining the waste paper and cardboard inside).

Glass specifically goes into a plastic crate to avoid contaminating the
paper waste with broken glass.

Our green waste is in a green bin (since we have black waste waste)
those who already have green waste bins have brown green waste bins.

Weirdest green waste bins I ever saw were in Salford "shocking pink"!

It surely isn't beyond man's abilities to make sensible re-cycling
arrangements? That are universal?

Mate tells me not to crush drinks cans. He was told the machines don't
then recognise them and sent them for landfill. Does that apply to dented
ones too?

That shouldn't be true in most big recycling systems. The one they have
a big problem with is black supermarket cook chill plastic trays which
are unclassifiable by the present sorting technology.

I have a sneaky feeling that all of our combustible "recycling" quietly
finds its way to the Allertonshire incinerator anyway. The bottom has
dropped out of the waste market somewhat.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2020 19:10, Martin Brown wrote:

UK seems to lead the world in having crazy local bin colours and
essentially random rules as to what can and cannot be recycled.

Rural waste bins were often green (ours by happenstance are black). That
meant recycling bins are blue (ie not green or black) but due to a
design error ours have concave lids that collect water that gets dumped
in on the contents (ruining the waste paper and cardboard inside).

Glass specifically goes into a plastic crate to avoid contaminating the
paper waste with broken glass.

Our green waste is in a green bin (since we have black waste waste)
those who already have green waste bins have brown green waste bins.

Weirdest green waste bins I ever saw were in Salford "shocking pink"!

+1. Although I am generally fairly in favour of devolution, this is one
case where surely some centralised policy would lead to economies of
scale. IIRC Wales is rather more consistent.

Also, there's never any guidance on what the householder could easily do
to improve the process. Should the thin sleeves on milk bottles be
removed? Should coloured lids be left on? Where do Pringles tubes go,
with metal or with cardboard?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mate tells me not to crush drinks cans. He was told the machines don't
then recognise them and sent them for landfill. Does that apply to dented
ones too?

That sounds like bollox. The machines don't separate cans by visual
inspection. Magnets are used for steel cans and eddy current machines
separate aluminium.

Consider what happens when your recycled waste is collected from the
curb side. It usually goes into a garbage collection vehicle which
compacts all the waste with a large hydrolytic ram.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 17:01:20 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Mate tells me not to crush drinks cans. He was told the machines don't
then recognise them and sent them for landfill.

Ali cans get crushed, kept and weighed in. Clean Ali foil likewise.

Steel cans also get crushed but go out for the recyling collection.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've been waiting nearly a month now for an extra paid for green garden
waste bin to be emptied. Why does all this normally reliable stuff tend to
bog wrong on or close to Christmas every single year? Is this a law of some
kind at work?
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"alan_m" wrote in message

Today around my way it is the dustcart day.

Black sacks for general waste
Pink sacks for "recycle" waste

The pavements seem to have mountains of pink sacks put out for collection.
My estimate is 10x what is normally put out for collection. It does seem
to indicate how much unnecessary packaging that we still have on what we
purchase.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/12/2020 19:49, newshound wrote:
[...]

I was at a major talk on the recycling economy hosted by the Royal
Society of Chemistry in Burlington House last year and they had a guy
whose kit for recycling milk bottles was then state of the art.

The ones I can recall are that bottles should have their caps removed.

It helps if the thin nasty label sleeve is taken off too. Shredding and
air blast sorting can separate most of the wheat from the chaff but it
isn't perfect so a few bits of the wrong material get into each batch.

The real bete noir are certain types of laminated plastic bottles
(oxygen barrier types) which are a hybrid of two plastics and can
degrade an entire batch. Not all sorting machines can recognise them.

Milk bottle caps have been deliberately been made paler so that any bits
that end up in the recycled crumb don't tint the melt towards green.
Apparently nothing puts people off buying milk so much as pale green!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

I've been waiting nearly a month now for an extra paid for green garden
waste bin to be emptied. Why does all this normally reliable stuff tend to
bog wrong on or close to Christmas

Around here, over winter the garden waste bins are emptied monthly
rather than fortnightly ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

I've been waiting nearly a month now for an extra paid for green garden
waste bin to be emptied. Why does all this normally reliable stuff tend to
bog wrong on or close to Christmas

Around here, over winter the garden waste bins are emptied monthly
rather than fortnightly ...

whereas ours is fortnightly, but misses one in the Christmas period.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 08:49:02 +0000, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

I've been waiting nearly a month now for an extra paid for green garden
waste bin to be emptied. Why does all this normally reliable stuff tend
to bog wrong on or close to Christmas every single year? Is this a law
of some kind at work?

Our council stopped the paid for green garden waste collections mid-
December, and announced they would not restart for some time. This
happens every year.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 22:48:45 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

As far as I know, Dave is right about this one. We're told not to crush
plastic drinks bottles either.

Not heard that. I shall continue to crush, or the bin will fill up
prematurely.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/12/2020 12:05, Tim Streater wrote:
On 30 Dec 2020 at 11:38:28 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 22:48:45 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

As far as I know, Dave is right about this one. We're told not to crush
plastic drinks bottles either.

Not heard that. I shall continue to crush, or the bin will fill up
prematurely.

Humph. Next time I see her, if I remember, I'll ask the former councillor who
set up your and my council's recycling scheme. I've not looked, but it may the
a detail too far for the council website.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/12/2020 11:38, Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 22:48:45 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

As far as I know, Dave is right about this one. We're told not to crush
plastic drinks bottles either.

Not heard that. I shall continue to crush, or the bin will fill up
prematurely.

Its hardly a green policy transporting a lorry load of air in un-crushed
bottles!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 08:58:32 -0800 (PST), Owain Lastname
wrote:

snip

The days of Mr Shopkeeper wrapping something in brown paper for you to take it home are long gone.

The few presents we got (from daughter) were wrapped in plain brown
paper. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

Tim Streater wrote:

As far as I know, Dave is right about this one. We're told not to crush
plastic drinks bottles either.

Not heard that. I shall continue to crush, or the bin will fill up
prematurely.

I continue to deflate them a bit, but no longer totally flatten and fold
them tucking top into bottom, hopefully they're still recognisable as
bottle-shaped.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 12:05:39 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

On 30 Dec 2020 at 11:38:28 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 22:48:45 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

As far as I know, Dave is right about this one. We're told not to
crush plastic drinks bottles either.

Not heard that. I shall continue to crush, or the bin will fill up
prematurely.

Humph. Next time I see her, if I remember, I'll ask the former
councillor who set up your and my council's recycling scheme. I've not
looked, but it may the a detail too far for the council website.

I don't mind if they give me a bigger recycling bin.

Or I could just stuff the excess recycling in the landfill bin!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

I don't mind if they give me a bigger recycling bin.

Here you have to pay to have a larger rubbish bin, but since they
changed to fortnightly collections, you can have a larger recycling bin
(or two small ones) FOC.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 12:13:04 -0800 (PST), Owain Lastname
wrote:

On Wednesday, 30 December 2020 at 17:21:09 UTC, T i m wrote:
The few presents we got (from daughter) were wrapped in plain brown
paper. ;-)

I wrapped some of mine in smoothed out Amazon space-filler brown paper.

Yup, I was using the exact same for packing up some of daughters
delicates the other day and re-building Amazon boxes I'd flatpacked
'in case'. ;-)

As I didn't need my "emergency present" this year, I've now got one ready wrapped but unlabelled for next year!

Cool.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 29/12/2020 15:05, alan_m wrote:

Today around my way it is the dustcart day.

Black sacks for general waste
Pink sacks for "recycle" waste

The pavements seem to have mountains of pink sacks put out for
collection. My estimate is 10x what is normally put out for collection.
It does seem to indicate how much unnecessary packaging that we still
have on what we purchase.

Fetch back coal fires.

You could burn the lot on them and send a letter to Santa.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 30 Dec 2020 21:29:01 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

I don't mind if they give me a bigger recycling bin.

Here you have to pay to have a larger rubbish bin, but since they
changed to fortnightly collections, you can have a larger recycling bin
(or two small ones) FOC.

They only do one size here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Dec 2020 12:24:24 GMT, Tim Streater wrote:

Its hardly a green policy transporting a lorry load of air in
un-crushed bottles!

True. But it may depend on what the kit is that the recyclers have for
separating stuff. For different plastics, does their kit rely on
reading the number inside the little triangle? If so, crushing may
hide/distort both the number and the triangle.

If there is a machine that can do that reliably, at a decent speed,
over a 2' wide conveyor belt covered with randomly oriented, random
plastic bottles, trays, caps, lids etc I'd be *very* impressed.

On quite a lot of things the moulding is not very well defined and/or
is tiny (couple of mm across). I fairly recently saw something on
the telly that encoded what the plastic was into the plastic as a
whole somehow (maybe a micro pattern?) that could be quickly and
easily machine read.

And to quote from the recycling leaflet from our council:

"Please make sure all recycled materials are clean and free from food
waste to avoid attracting wildlife and vermin. Please rinse and crush
plastic bottles and cans as much as possible. There is no need to
remove labels. Please also flattened cardboard as much as possible."

Surely that should be "Please make sure all *recyclable* materials
are clean ..." they haven't been recycled yet.! And do they mean
crush all cans or only plastic ones?

Might email them again, last time they was about the blue bags still
having the previous years Christmas/New Year changes on them in
September and for this year having day and date mismatches (eg today
would be Tues 30th Dec 2020) on three days around the the same
period.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Martin Brown
writes

The one they have a big problem with is black supermarket cook chill
plastic trays which are unclassifiable by the present sorting
technology.

To overcome the 'black plastic' problem, Waitrose have changed their own
brands to light grey.

--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2021 08:47, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Martin Brown
writes

The one they have a big problem with is black supermarket cook chill
plastic trays which are unclassifiable by the present sorting technology.

To overcome the 'black plastic' problem, Waitrose have changed their own
brands to light grey.

There's also now near-IR detectable black plastic packaging which can be
detected and sorted in the same way as others.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Ali cans get crushed, kept and weighed in

Is it worth the effort, seems about 30p/kg at moment, how big a box of
crushed cans do you take in?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 2 Jan 2021 14:46:49 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Ali cans get crushed, kept and weighed in

Is it worth the effort, seems about 30p/kg at moment, how big a box of
crushed cans do you take in?

TBH I don't know how many kg there was of cans in the last lot of
"scrap" I took in or indeed if it was cans or foil I think it was the
latter. I got £93 quid for various amounts of copper, brass, 4 alloy
wheels and either ali foil or cans. It'll probably be another 5 years
before I take anything else in...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 2 Jan 2021 14:46:49 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Ali cans get crushed, kept and weighed in

Is it worth the effort, seems about 30p/kg at moment, how big a box of
crushed cans do you take in?

TBH I don't know how many kg there was of cans in the last lot of
"scrap" I took in or indeed if it was cans or foil I think it was the
latter. I got £93 quid for various amounts of copper, brass, 4 alloy
wheels and either ali foil or cans. It'll probably be another 5 years
before I take anything else in...

My brother regularly weighs in scrap in the NE of Scotland. I've
absolutely no idea how to go about it here in London. ;-)

--
*Marriage changes passion - suddenly you're in bed with a relative*