Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default EDF energy smart meter - fault diagnosis - mesh network?

The external display for our EDF smart meter has stopped displaying data
and just sits there "Waiting for current data".

I will try and contact EDF tomorrow, but I thought I would check here in
case anyone has already hit this.

The smart meter has a row of 5 lights which pulse on a regular basis.
I haven't really paid attention before but I note that the middle one,
"Mesh", is not flashing.

I don't know if this is significant or not.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:

The external display for our EDF smart meter has stopped displaying data
and just sits there "Waiting for current data".

Tried moving it nearer the leccy meter?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 20:34:51 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

David wrote:

The external display for our EDF smart meter has stopped displaying
data and just sits there "Waiting for current data".

Tried moving it nearer the leccy meter?

Stood it on top of the ******* and it still wouldn't talk to it.

There is a fault finding flow chart which includes this, and I have
reached the "call us" bit.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/2020 20:33, David wrote:
The external display for our EDF smart meter has stopped displaying data
and just sits there "Waiting for current data".

I will try and contact EDF tomorrow, but I thought I would check here in
case anyone has already hit this.

The smart meter has a row of 5 lights which pulse on a regular basis.
I haven't really paid attention before but I note that the middle one,
"Mesh", is not flashing.

I don't know if this is significant or not.

It may just need an off/on sequence to for it to force a pairing
negotiation. Google suggests....

How do I pair my EDF smart meter?

Press and hold the power button on the back of your smart meter display
to turn it on. To turn it off, press and hold the same button for five
seconds. Each time you turn the smart meter display on, it will show
'Welcome to IHD2' then 'Attempting to pair'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:
It may just need an off/on sequence to for it to force a pairing
negotiation. Google suggests....

I'd power cycle it first and see if it comes back up. It may have just lost
connection for some reason.

(I think some have a battery inside, so you might have to try a bit harder
to force it to power off)

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:

The external display for our EDF smart meter has stopped displaying
data and just sits there "Waiting for current data".

Tried moving it nearer the leccy meter?

Stood it on top of the ******* and it still wouldn't talk to it.

There is a fault finding flow chart which includes this, and I have
reached the "call us" bit.

"The point of a smart meter is that we don't have to send a man round to
read it"
"just two men, to fix it"

Cheers

Dave R

--
€œit should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was not aware they use anything but their own system to communicate to the
customer unit. I am still waiting for my meter. I'm fed up with having to
get a real person to read the meter and I now know the talking customer
devices exist and have been deployed, but they now claim that economy 7 and
the fact that I'm all electric are a problem for supplying. This sounds lie
lame excuses to me.
As for what is wrong with the unit. You do not say what its doing, ie is it
dead or just showing no data or what.
Is it one of the rechargeable ones or does it run on replaceable batteries
there do seem to be several types around people tell me.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"David" wrote in message
The external display for our EDF smart meter has stopped displaying data
and just sits there "Waiting for current data".

I will try and contact EDF tomorrow, but I thought I would check here in
case anyone has already hit this.

The smart meter has a row of 5 lights which pulse on a regular basis.
I haven't really paid attention before but I note that the middle one,
"Mesh", is not flashing.

I don't know if this is significant or not.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

They all have a battery, certainly the one I was shown that talks had a
little rechargeable one in it and the unit sat on a cradle like a walk about
phone or door intercom does.

"Theo" wrote in message
alan_m wrote:
It may just need an off/on sequence to for it to force a pairing
negotiation. Google suggests....

I'd power cycle it first and see if it comes back up. It may have just
lost
connection for some reason.

(I think some have a battery inside, so you might have to try a bit harder
to force it to power off)

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

They all have a battery

No, mine doesn't (I have had it to bits)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 22:56:31 +0000, Theo wrote:

alan_m wrote:
It may just need an off/on sequence to for it to force a pairing
negotiation. Google suggests....

I'd power cycle it first and see if it comes back up. It may have just
lost connection for some reason.

(I think some have a battery inside, so you might have to try a bit
harder to force it to power off)

Theo

If you care to read the response from Andy B (and my response to that) we
have already covered that point.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Dec 2020 20:33:18 +0000, David wrote:

The external display for our EDF smart meter has stopped displaying data
and just sits there "Waiting for current data".

I will try and contact EDF tomorrow, but I thought I would check here in
case anyone has already hit this.

The smart meter has a row of 5 lights which pulse on a regular basis.
I haven't really paid attention before but I note that the middle one,
"Mesh", is not flashing.

I don't know if this is significant or not.

Updated to say that I used the web site to follow the diagnostic
recommendations (which didn't work) then used the SMS service to report
the issue.

Helpful response saying it would be passed to smart meter support who
would be contacting me.

Just noticed that it has started working again, so texted to update EDF.

I suspect that the display was talking to the meter but the meter wasn't
talking to home base.
If there was a short term network issue it has been fixed.
I will probably never know quite what happened.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:

I suspect that the display was talking to the meter but the meter wasn't
talking to home base.

Why would the IHD ever need to talk to the meter?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 31 Dec 2020 17:56:18 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

David wrote:

I suspect that the display was talking to the meter but the meter
wasn't talking to home base.

Why would the IHD ever need to talk to the meter?

I assumed that was so.

Are you saying that the smart meters report back to the supplier and then
the IHD (In Home Display?) talks to the supplier independently to report
the results after processing?

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David wrote:

Are you saying that the smart meters report back to the supplier and then
the IHD (In Home Display?) talks to the supplier independently to report
the results after processing?

No I'm saying the smart meter talks *to* the IHD, but has no reason to
listen for anything back from it.