Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anyone used Gibbs and Dandy?

Has anyone any experiences with Gibbs and Dandy builders' merchants?
They're part of the Saint Gobain empire, although seemingly different from
Jewson (also owned by S-G).

As usual for BM's, they don't quote prices on their website. So I opened an
account. But even if you have an account they don't quote prices. There's
a 'request a quote' button on their website, which I duly filled in and
submitted and... nothing.

Wondering if there's anything worthwhile to be had price-wise by continuing
to chase them, or if I'm better off going to Wickes? I'm not going to be
buying large quantities of stuff.

Thanks
Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo wrote:

Has anyone any experiences with Gibbs and Dandy builders' merchants?
They're part of the Saint Gobain empire, although seemingly different from
Jewson (also owned by S-G).

I haven't used the one here much since they took over the local indy
firm (just a couple of tiles)

As usual for BM's, they don't quote prices on their website.

Yes that's pretty annoying, at least Travis Perkins will let you see
prices after you login.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Theo
writes
Has anyone any experiences with Gibbs and Dandy builders' merchants?
They're part of the Saint Gobain empire, although seemingly different from
Jewson (also owned by S-G).

As usual for BM's, they don't quote prices on their website. So I opened an
account. But even if you have an account they don't quote prices. There's
a 'request a quote' button on their website, which I duly filled in and
submitted and... nothing.

Wondering if there's anything worthwhile to be had price-wise by continuing
to chase them, or if I'm better off going to Wickes? I'm not going to be
buying large quantities of stuff.

I have had an account since around 1980 with their Luton branch.

You probably need to phone for a quote currently. I think discounts are
linked to *expected trade levels*!

Best to get some figures elsewhere and then negotiate.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 14:52:22 +0000, Theo wrote:

Has anyone any experiences with Gibbs and Dandy builders' merchants?
They're part of the Saint Gobain empire, although seemingly different
from Jewson (also owned by S-G).

As usual for BM's, they don't quote prices on their website. So I
opened an account. But even if you have an account they don't quote
prices. There's a 'request a quote' button on their website, which I
duly filled in and submitted and... nothing.

Wondering if there's anything worthwhile to be had price-wise by
continuing to chase them, or if I'm better off going to Wickes? I'm not
going to be buying large quantities of stuff.

Thanks Theo

I never deal with any supplier who hides the prices....even car dealers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/12/2020 14:52, Theo wrote:

Wondering if there's anything worthwhile to be had price-wise by continuing
to chase them,

Someone should make a crowdsourced website the the price of all items
after negotiations - I'm sure it's data that is available electronically
in receipts.

It could cover various annoying variable pricing industries such as
builders merchants, all insurances, accommodation, travel tickets,
theatre tickets, car dealers, Amazon, eBay ...

Knowing who will be conducive to getting the lowest price, will stop
some plumping for the first outlet and getting ripped off, that practice
is too common....

Does this already exist?

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/12/2020 14:52, Theo wrote:
Has anyone any experiences with Gibbs and Dandy builders' merchants?
They're part of the Saint Gobain empire, although seemingly different from
Jewson (also owned by S-G).

As usual for BM's, they don't quote prices on their website. So I opened an
account. But even if you have an account they don't quote prices. There's
a 'request a quote' button on their website, which I duly filled in and
submitted and... nothing.

Wondering if there's anything worthwhile to be had price-wise by continuing
to chase them, or if I'm better off going to Wickes? I'm not going to be
buying large quantities of stuff.

Thanks
Theo

In my experience anyone who doesn't quote a price is going to be
expensive for small order quantities. Also watch out for high delivery
costs on orders less than x hundreds of pounds.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/12/2020 16:14, alan_m wrote:

In my experience anyone who doesn't quote a price is going to be
expensive for small order quantities. Also watch out for high delivery
costs on orders less than x hundreds of pounds.

Also be aware of ex VAT quotes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 15:40:08 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Has anyone any experiences with Gibbs and Dandy builders' merchants?
They're part of the Saint Gobain empire, although seemingly different
from Jewson (also owned by S-G).

I haven't used the one here much since they took over the local indy
firm (just a couple of tiles)

I used to use them all the time as a cash customer, probably around £200
a week in materials.
Then one day I went in, and was charged about double the usual amount.
Apparently, as I hadnt got an account, they couldnt reduce the prices.
This was after they had lost my account application and its references
etc.
My mate was the deputy Manager, even he couldnt do anything, as they had
orders from head office about pricing. Never used them again. This was 10
years ago, so things may have changed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:
In my experience anyone who doesn't quote a price is going to be
expensive for small order quantities. Also watch out for high delivery
costs on orders less than x hundreds of pounds.

I've had past good experiences with Ridgeons for timber - marginally more
expensive than the sheds at walk-up pricing, but much better quality.
Unfortunately they've been taken over by Huws Gray and their merged website
is (still) a bit of a disaster zone.

Then there are the smaller independents, whose websites say basically 'we
sell wood, loadsa wood. Call us for what we have'. Which is fair enough,
up to a point. Past experience is that pricing can be ok but ranges can be
limited. I should do some ringing around when they have reopened.

Thanks all for the feedback, I think I'll give G&D a miss.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Dec 2020 14:52:22 +0000 (GMT), Theo wrote:

But even if you have an account they don't quote prices. There's
a 'request a quote' button on their website, which I duly filled in and
submitted and... nothing.

When? Have you not noticed that we are in the middle of the fornight
when expecting anything involving "office work" to happen in a timely
manner is the same as porcine aviation.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On 26 Dec 2020 14:52:22 +0000 (GMT), Theo wrote:

But even if you have an account they don't quote prices. There's
a 'request a quote' button on their website, which I duly filled in and
submitted and... nothing.

When? Have you not noticed that we are in the middle of the fornight
when expecting anything involving "office work" to happen in a timely
manner is the same as porcine aviation.

May and August. I hope that would be long enough for them.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo wrote:
May and August. I hope that would be long enough for them.

I had cause to use Gibbs and Dandy, as Wickes click and collect is
problematic at the moment.

It turns out G&D's website is utterly broken (stock on the website is just
plain wrong, so product pages don't exist, etc), but they are fine on the
phone. Everything went through smoothly, and they managed to deliver for
free next day at 9am. Prices on insulation was slightly more than Wickes
for loft roll, but much cheaper than Wickes for PIR (1.2x2.4m Celotex is
about £25 for 50mm thick and £40 for 100mm, against £45/£75 for Kingspan
TP10 at Wickes).

(G&D is part of Saint Gobain who own Celotex; Wickes have a cheaper brand
Iko Enertherm but only in stores around London it seems, and not for
delivery)

So they were actually fine, it's just their website is useless (and online
accounts is currently offline for several weeks as well).

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Theo wrote:
It turns out G&D's website is utterly broken (stock on the website is just
plain wrong, so product pages don't exist, etc), but they are fine on the
phone. Everything went through smoothly, and they managed to deliver for
free next day at 9am. Prices on insulation was slightly more than Wickes
for loft roll, but much cheaper than Wickes for PIR (1.2x2.4m Celotex is
about £25 for 50mm thick and £40 for 100mm, against £45/£75 for Kingspan
TP10 at Wickes).

Gibbs and Dandy have now got a new website - which shows prices!
Prices if you aren't logged in are about the same as Wickes:
£70 for 2400x1200x100mm celotex

If I login with my cash account it falls to £40.74.
So now I can price stuff up without calling them, hurrah!

Theo