Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Any experience of fireplace or chimney dampers?

We have a large'ish open fire and I'm tempted to make, or to get made,
something to close-off the chimney when the fire isn't in use (which is
most of the time). Has anyone here done the same?

(Yes, I know I could fit a wood burner but it's a large fire in a formal
room and it just wouldn't look right - according to SWMBO)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/12/2020 01:22, wrote:
We have a large'ish open fire and I'm tempted to make, or to get made,
something to close-off the chimney when the fire isn't in use (which is
most of the time). Has anyone here done the same?

(Yes, I know I could fit a wood burner but it's a large fire in a formal
room and it just wouldn't look right - according to SWMBO)

I have used these
https://www.chimneysheep.co.uk/
and they seem to do the job (keep the draughts out).
They may be something of a gimmick (cue sheep jokes) and I have no idea
if there's a better option, but they tick a few boxes for me.
I have no connection with the company mentioned other than as a buyer of
their products.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/12/2020 01:22, wrote:
We have a large'ish open fire and I'm tempted to make, or to get made,
something to close-off the chimney when the fire isn't in use (which is
most of the time). Has anyone here done the same?

(Yes, I know I could fit a wood burner but it's a large fire in a formal
room and it just wouldn't look right - according to SWMBO)

This umbrella product was considered niche by the dragons, and laughed
off for the cost.
https://www.chimella.com/

Something fitted permanently would probably need to have safety
interlocks added, to avoid closing the chimmney if the fire is in use.

Why not close it for good, and install an LCD monitor and an infra-red
space heater?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Caspersz wrote:

This umbrella product was considered niche by the dragons, and laughed
off for the cost.
https://www.chimella.com/

I have a rolled-up offcut of rockwool shoved up mine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/12/2020 10:48, Allan wrote:
On 23/12/2020 01:22, wrote:
We have a large'ish open fire and I'm tempted to make, or to get made,
something to close-off the chimney when the fire isn't in use (which
is most of the time). Has anyone here done the same?

(Yes, I know I could fit a wood burner but it's a large fire in a
formal room and it just wouldn't look right - according to SWMBO)

I have used these
https://www.chimneysheep.co.uk/
and they seem to do the job (keep the draughts out).
They may be something of a gimmick (cue sheep jokes) and I have no idea
if there's a better option, but they tick a few boxes for me.
I have no connection with the company mentioned other than as a buyer of
their products.

Thanks, but I'd ruled-out a DIY version of those because of the problems
of storing a big sooty thing, and crud falling down when it's pulled
from the chimney
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/12/2020 11:29, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 23/12/2020 01:22, wrote:
We have a large'ish open fire and I'm tempted to make, or to get made,
something to close-off the chimney when the fire isn't in use (which
is most of the time). Has anyone here done the same?

(Yes, I know I could fit a wood burner but it's a large fire in a
formal room and it just wouldn't look right - according to SWMBO)

This umbrella product was considered niche by the dragons, and laughed
off for the cost.
https://www.chimella.com/

Something fitted permanently would probably need to have safety
interlocks added, to avoid closing the chimmney if the fire is in use.

Why not close it for good, and install an LCD monitor and an infra-red
space heater?

I discounted chimellas and balloons because they're only slightly better
than a made-to-fit DIY wooden panel (and it's quite a large fireplace) -
storage and crud being the main problems. I'm thinking of a metal frame
with a pivoted metal plate, similar to these:
https://www.chimneydampers.co.uk/fireplace-dampers
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/12/2020 10:55, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , alan_m
writes
On 23/12/2020 11:48, wrote:

Thanks, but I'd ruled-out a DIY version of those because of the
problemsÂ* of storing a big sooty thing, and crud falling down when
it's pulledÂ* from the chimney

Irrespective of any mode of blocking you are going to get the crud
that has fallen on the blocking mechanism dropping down when opening
up again, otherwise where do you expect this crud to disappear to?

Even with a bespoke fixed design consider how it is to be cleaned.

I think they centre pivot so the crud slides off when opened.

The fixing trick is knowing that you have to take out and replace some
brick above your fire opening.

A crow fell down my chimney that is lined with a stainless steel double
insulated liner.

Normally they fall down the open fire flues, **** on everything and fly
out of a window.

But this one came to rest against the rotating chimney damper of the
wood stove, where it couldn't get out and I couldn't pull it down
either. After a week the noises stopped, but the damper was jammed.

Eventually, come this winter, I lit a fire.

That cleared the blockage.

Obviously you get the chimney swept *before* you install a blocker. Then
it won't drop soot when you take it out for the winter

And the crows instead of flying out of the open fireplace, will simply
die, instead.

private property.

Karl Marx

Shock Absorbers (Dampers), again Tim Wescott Metalworking 14 February 6th 10 10:10 PM
Washing machine dampers Geoff UK diy 4 January 19th 06 09:59 AM
loft hatch supports/dampers ? graham UK diy 5 September 30th 05 10:29 PM
fire smoke dampers William Home Repair 5 June 13th 05 02:30 PM
closing heat registers and dampers CBHvac Home Repair 2 October 16th 03 01:38 PM