Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Any experience of fireplace or chimney dampers?

On 24/12/2020 10:55, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , alan_m
writes
On 23/12/2020 11:48, wrote:

Thanks, but I'd ruled-out a DIY version of those because of the
problemsĀ* of storing a big sooty thing, and crud falling down when
it's pulledĀ* from the chimney

Irrespective of any mode of blocking you are going to get the crud
that has fallen on the blocking mechanism dropping down when opening
up again, otherwise where do you expect this crud to disappear to?

Even with a bespoke fixed design consider how it is to be cleaned.

I think they centre pivot so the crud slides off when opened.

The fixing trick is knowing that you have to take out and replace some
brick above your fire opening.

A crow fell down my chimney that is lined with a stainless steel double
insulated liner.

Normally they fall down the open fire flues, **** on everything and fly
out of a window.

But this one came to rest against the rotating chimney damper of the
wood stove, where it couldn't get out and I couldn't pull it down
either. After a week the noises stopped, but the damper was jammed.

Eventually, come this winter, I lit a fire.

That cleared the blockage.

Obviously you get the chimney swept *before* you install a blocker. Then
it won't drop soot when you take it out for the winter

And the crows instead of flying out of the open fireplace, will simply
die, instead.

private property.

Karl Marx