Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default One for Adam!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buiJTq-w2fY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_VHEBGMHEI

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 14/12/2020 22:46, Graham. wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buiJTq-w2fY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_VHEBGMHEI

Ta. Just watched a bit of it before I set off to work.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If it was for adam, and you are not going to indicate here what they are,
then why not send them to him by email. Thus you are obviously lying in the
subject line, you want people out here tto click links for which they have
no idea of the content, which in this day and age would most of the time be
folly and posssibly dangerous to the health of the computer.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Graham." wrote in message

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buiJTq-w2fY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_VHEBGMHEI

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

you want people out here to click links for which they have
no idea of the content, which in this day and age would most of the time be
folly and possibly dangerous to the health of the computer.

It's obvious they're youtube links, so the danger to the computer is
close to zero

The content could indeed be anything (subject to youtube policies) in
this case it's about a consumer unit that caught fire (one from the
electrician that had to replace it, and another from bigclive tearing it
down for clues).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/12/2020 09:13, Andy Burns wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

you want people out here to click links for which they have
no idea of the content, which in this day and age would most of the
time be
folly and possibly dangerous to the health of the computer.

It's obvious they're youtube links, so the danger to the computer is
close to zero

The content could indeed be anything (subject to youtube policies) in
this case it's about a consumer unit that caught fire (one from the
electrician that had to replace it, and another from bigclive tearing it
down for clues).

Hence the reason for 'Amendment3' ?? requiring all new consumer units
to be metal cased, although there is still the issue of how
you seal all the knockouts without also causing local overheating
of the cables where they exit the box. Is there some special
intumescent gooey stuff for doing this ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2020 22:46, Graham. wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buiJTq-w2fY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_VHEBGMHEI

Make sure your nuts are done up tight seems to be the
message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2020 22:46, Graham. wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buiJTq-w2fY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_VHEBGMHEI

Hmm. toasty.

Even more interesting is the link over to the right -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDGeyJnoqZQ

"AFDD's" aka 421.1.7

A brace of ARM core powered circuit boards inside an
MCB !!.

Does this mean plug-in mechanical timers will be unusable ?.
The one I use to turn the porch CFD light on/off doesn't seem to
sharply switch it off but there a second or buzz.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote in news:hBYBH.1072330
:

On 14/12/2020 22:46, Graham. wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buiJTq-w2fY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_VHEBGMHEI

Ta. Just watched a bit of it before I set off to work.

Any view on the quality of the FuseBox brand of CUs fitted as replacement
in the second vid and how they fit in around the rest of the pack,
Contactum, Wylex, BG etc.

Hadn't heard of them before.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Burke wrote:

Any view on the quality of the FuseBox brand of CUs fitted as replacement
in the second vid

They seem to be a relative newcomer (unless CP Electric have been around
under their own name for years?)

They look reasonable, but the only reason I've noticed them is that
several sparkys on youtube seem to have been supplied with them FoC for
demo/promo purposes ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote in
:

Peter Burke wrote:

Any view on the quality of the FuseBox brand of CUs fitted as
replacement in the second vid

They seem to be a relative newcomer (unless CP Electric have been
around under their own name for years?)

CU change & rewire is on the way here shortly hence why I am asking. Hager
would be lovely but cost not really justifiable, BG phaps a bit too cheap.

They look reasonable, but the only reason I've noticed them is that
several sparkys on youtube seem to have been supplied with them FoC
for demo/promo purposes ...

Some discussion about them on the IET forums (I think it was) and there
was some concern about the whether the new company would last, leading to
support/spares issues. A main distibutor stepped in and supported the
company, MD (personally known), quality and value for money suggesting that
the nay sayers would regret not taking them up whilst they were on value
pricing.

The installation using one on the fire replacement vid up thread made it
look good, roomy and easy to configure but the guy was an obvious pro and I
am not. He was doing a full RCBO install as will I.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Burke wrote:

CU change & rewire is on the way here shortly hence why I am asking. Hager
would be lovely but cost not really justifiable

are Hagar that expensive? an 20-way CU with just the main switch is
about £65, their RCBOs about £24 ea, same sort of price as screwfix for
BG ones.

https://www.consumerunitworld.co.uk/hager-vml120-20-way-rcbo-consumer-unit-1976-p.asp

https://www.consumerunitworld.co.uk/rcbos-234-c.asp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote in
:

https://www.consumerunitworld.co.uk/...rcbo-consumer-
unit-1976-p.asp

https://www.consumerunitworld.co.uk/rcbos-234-c.asp

Fusebox 20W + full fill RCBO type A:

50.41 + 20 x 18.60 = 422.41

Hager: 20W + full fill RCBO type A:

64.87 + 20 x 24.70 = 558.87

Small beer diff for what is essentially my lifetime house so thx for the
reminder not to over economise.

Not sure if I need "Hager Design 30 Amendement 3" CU at +24.34 but more
likely to go for Hager flush CU at +20.68 as that suits my install better.

Strict adherence to regs editions is not too important to me, just doing a
good job in the spirit of regs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain Lastname wrote:

Peter Burke wrote:
Strict adherence to regs editions is not too important to me, just

doing a
good job in the spirit of regs.

I would allow lots of extra space for SPDs and AFDDs which are
suggested now and may be required in the future.

Fitting RCBOs now is good, you'll save 4 ways from the lack of dual
RCDs, you can choose to not bother with SPD, and nobody's likely to come
along and insist in retrofitting AFDDs in future.

If AFDD/RCBO in future are double-width you need 50% fill/ 50% free
which is quite an over-provision.

They're already available single module, bargain price.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/wylex-afdd/898jk

If you look at David Savery or John Ward's videos about how difficult it
is to get an arc to trip these things, especially on low current
circuits you wonder why they even make a 6A version?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain Lastname wrote in
:

On Friday, 18 December 2020 at 12:58:53 UTC, Peter Burke wrote:
Strict adherence to regs editions is not too important to me, just
doing a good job in the spirit of regs.

I would allow lots of extra space for SPDs and AFDDs which are
suggested now and may be required in the future.

If AFDD/RCBO in future are double-width you need 50% fill/ 50% free
which is quite an over-provision.

A while back I did look at poss future SPD requirements and at the time it
appeared to only likely to be mandated for overhead feeds in the sticks
with the major threat being surges induced by lghtng.

I live in a major conurb where the HV feeds come in underground so I
figured I was pretty safe[1] and not likely to be required to fit,
certainly not retrospectively. Been here for a while, so far so good,
fingers crossed.

Also not that impressed with the technology, looked like some MOVs jammed
in a case and I have little faith in them especially if exposed to a big
surge from a low impedance source.

The term AFFD was new to me, omg more hand holding, think I'll pass.

20 way should give me a fair bit of headroom but I will be going a bit over
the top on sep dedicated RCBOs eg. for fridge/freezer, boiler etc

[1] perhaps other than a substation going pop