Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Burke[_3_] Peter Burke[_3_] is offline

Default One for Adam!

Owain Lastname wrote in
:

On Friday, 18 December 2020 at 12:58:53 UTC, Peter Burke wrote:
Strict adherence to regs editions is not too important to me, just
doing a good job in the spirit of regs.

I would allow lots of extra space for SPDs and AFDDs which are
suggested now and may be required in the future.

If AFDD/RCBO in future are double-width you need 50% fill/ 50% free
which is quite an over-provision.

A while back I did look at poss future SPD requirements and at the time it
appeared to only likely to be mandated for overhead feeds in the sticks
with the major threat being surges induced by lghtng.

I live in a major conurb where the HV feeds come in underground so I
figured I was pretty safe[1] and not likely to be required to fit,
certainly not retrospectively. Been here for a while, so far so good,
fingers crossed.

Also not that impressed with the technology, looked like some MOVs jammed
in a case and I have little faith in them especially if exposed to a big
surge from a low impedance source.

The term AFFD was new to me, omg more hand holding, think I'll pass.

20 way should give me a fair bit of headroom but I will be going a bit over
the top on sep dedicated RCBOs eg. for fridge/freezer, boiler etc

[1] perhaps other than a substation going pop