Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY Hindsight

On 10 Dec 2020 at 11:21:55 GMT, "Chris J Dixon" wrote:

T i m wrote:

On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 20:27:40 +0000 (UTC), RJH
wrote:
snip

Here I think a basement is quite rare, except for some of the bigger
houses both in the town and country.

Quite a few houses have cellars.

Ah, are you being specific re a cellar rather than a basement as I was
referring to them as being the same sort of thing (some level of space
under a house).

I was confused. Is the distinction being made that a basement is
habitable? (FSVO "habitable")

Yes, I think I was conflating the 2 - definitely a cellar. It'd cost £20,000
to convert it into an 8m x 4m habitable room - which quite a few people do
round here.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
snip

Here I think a basement is quite rare, except for some of the bigger
houses both in the town and country.

Quite a few houses have cellars.

Ah, are you being specific re a cellar rather than a basement as I was
referring to them as being the same sort of thing (some level of space
under a house). You see them in offices quite a lot in the city (I
worked in one for 5 years) with the glass panes in the pavement for
light.

"Basements in small buildings such as single-family detached houses
are rare in wet climates such as Great Britain and Ireland where
flooding can be a problem, .."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basement

I've got the washing machine (with a suitable
drain pump), dryer and freezer down there.
Bit miserable to use as a work area
though - too cold for me.

But handy for the fridge and freezer. ;-)

Yup! It is a slight pain trawling down there, but I really like the space it
frees up in my not overly large kitchen, plus it's cheaper to run, plus one
less compressor doing its thing. I'm not quite so daft as to have the fridge
down there, although given time . . .

And while humidity is quite high (it's far from bone dry, like most cellars)
nothing's rusted or been affected by damp. So far as I can see ;-)

Do you need a brighter torch to see better down there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt8aAy_8Ub4

Very good - I do like Rhod!

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Dec 2020 13:26:24 +0000 (GMT), Theo
wrote:

T i m wrote:
On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 17:38:20 +0000, Max Demian
wrote:
A basement
launderette would also be useful so you would not need a (most time
unused) machine in the kitchen taking up space.

That would be lovely but I assume you don't live in the UK?

I know a set of retirement flats that have a communal washing machine room,
but most of the flats still have their own machine.

Yeah, I was think more re the basement location than the communal
concept as such. ;-)

Having lived in accommodation with shared machines before, I think one
reason is that lugging baskets of washing up and down stairs isn't exactly
fun, even if you aren't elderly.

Agreed. It might also restrict the 'ad hoc' decisions of what you
might was there and then.

Another is that sharing is a pain - people
leave washing in the machines when they're done, so the next person has to
unload and leave it in a pile - if they don't steal it.

What a world we live in eh. People who are probably 'neighbours' ...
;-(

Lots of
opportunities for friction between users.

Yeah, I can see that like shared drives etc.

Laundrettes can afford staff to
manage things, where a per-building room probably wouldn't.

True.

About the only useful purpose I can see is when you need a commercial-size
machine for washing bedding or similar that won't fit in a domestic machine.

Yeah.

That and avoiding the noise, which can be troublesome in a 40m2 flat.

It's funny, whilst daughter has to deal with the noise of the fat
above (sounds like they have 20 kids that all wear clogs etc), she is
still very conscious of not exposing the flat below her to the same,
eg, not running the WM or putting the Dyson round late at night and
keeping the TV / music down.

There is reserved parking though and a fair number of visitor spaces
so that's quite a treat (and by no means 'standard').

Elsewhere, I think some people fit a storage container in their allocated
underground parking space - like having a private basement store if you
don't have a car.

That's a good idea in an underground space and I'm not sure if the
rules wound stop her putting such in her parking space instead of a
car (if she only had a cycle and wanted to store it in there). I guess
if everyone did it it might look like a mini container terminal. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Dec 2020 14:07:03 +0000 (UTC), RJH
wrote:

snip

I've got the washing machine (with a suitable
drain pump), dryer and freezer down there.
Bit miserable to use as a work area
though - too cold for me.

But handy for the fridge and freezer. ;-)

Yup! It is a slight pain trawling down there, but I really like the space it
frees up in my not overly large kitchen, plus it's cheaper to run, plus one
less compressor doing its thing.

Yes, good wins all round.

I'm not quite so daft as to have the fridge
down there,

Yeah, sorry, you did just say freezer. The fridge is probably needed
too regularly to be that remote.

although given time . . .

;-)

snip
Do you need a brighter torch to see better down there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt8aAy_8Ub4

Very good - I do like Rhod!

Yeah,you talking about cellars reminded me of his 'candles' sketch and
we ended up watching a few of his others (toothbrush, togs and railway
sarnie).

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:

On 9 Dec 2020 at 22:28:48 GMT, "T i m" wrote:

[cellars]

But handy for the fridge and freezer. ;-)

Yup! It is a slight pain trawling down there, but I really like the space it
frees up in my not overly large kitchen, plus it's cheaper to run, plus one
less compressor doing its thing. I'm not quite so daft as to have the fridge
down there, although given time . . .

Is the temparature range within the limits for the equipment?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/12/2020 12:10, Chris J Dixon wrote:
RJH wrote:

On 9 Dec 2020 at 22:28:48 GMT, "T i m" wrote:

[cellars]

But handy for the fridge and freezer. ;-)

Yup! It is a slight pain trawling down there, but I really like the space it
frees up in my not overly large kitchen, plus it's cheaper to run, plus one
less compressor doing its thing. I'm not quite so daft as to have the fridge
down there, although given time . . .

Is the temparature range within the limits for the equipment?

Chris

Can you even physically get a decent-sized fridge freezer down there ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:

On 9 Dec 2020 at 22:28:48 GMT, "T i m" wrote:

[cellars]

But handy for the fridge and freezer. ;-)

Yup! It is a slight pain trawling down there, but I really like the space it
frees up in my not overly large kitchen, plus it's cheaper to run, plus one
less compressor doing its thing. I'm not quite so daft as to have the fridge
down there, although given time . . .

Is the temparature range within the limits for the equipment?

Chris

Yes, a Beko bought with that in mind.

Can you even physically get a decent-sized fridge freezer down there ?

Yes, it's just a slightly smaller than usual door opening off the kitchen to
access the cellar.

--
Cheers, Rob