Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Zones in a wet room

I have just been trying to work out the (electrical) zones for our
wet room and I'm finding it a bit difficult.

The fundamental difficulty is that I can't really see how one decides
(for Zone 2) what is "... beyond zones 0&1, extends 60cm horizontally
and ..." as there is no well defined 'edge' of the shower. This
really carries on from "Zone 0 - The interior of the bath or shower",
the shower doesn't have an 'interior', there isn't even a shower
curtain.

Is there some sort of conventional 'size of a shower' which is a
defined horizontal distance from the shower head?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2020 10:28, Chris Green wrote:
I have just been trying to work out the (electrical) zones for our
wet room and I'm finding it a bit difficult.

The fundamental difficulty is that I can't really see how one decides
(for Zone 2) what is "... beyond zones 0&1, extends 60cm horizontally
and ..." as there is no well defined 'edge' of the shower. This
really carries on from "Zone 0 - The interior of the bath or shower",
the shower doesn't have an 'interior', there isn't even a shower
curtain.

Is there some sort of conventional 'size of a shower' which is a
defined horizontal distance from the shower head?

The regs provide a different rule for showers without a tray: Zone 0 is
10 cm up and 1.2m out from a fixed shower head. Zone 1 same radius with
height as for other showers. See eg

https://www.rm-electrical.com/techni...nes-explained/

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Dec 2020 at 10:28:18 GMT, "Chris Green" wrote:

I have just been trying to work out the (electrical) zones for our
wet room and I'm finding it a bit difficult.

The fundamental difficulty is that I can't really see how one decides
(for Zone 2) what is "... beyond zones 0&1, extends 60cm horizontally
and ..." as there is no well defined 'edge' of the shower. This
really carries on from "Zone 0 - The interior of the bath or shower",
the shower doesn't have an 'interior', there isn't even a shower
curtain.

Is there some sort of conventional 'size of a shower' which is a
defined horizontal distance from the shower head?

It is{1] a certain distance from the shower *fixed outlet* where the flexible
pipe for the shower head screws in. Hard to convince our electrician, but
that was the rule, at least a few years ago.

[1] I haven't actually checked the current 18th edition of the regs, our
shower room was built under the 17th edition.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:
On 03/12/2020 10:28, Chris Green wrote:
I have just been trying to work out the (electrical) zones for our
wet room and I'm finding it a bit difficult.

The fundamental difficulty is that I can't really see how one decides
(for Zone 2) what is "... beyond zones 0&1, extends 60cm horizontally
and ..." as there is no well defined 'edge' of the shower. This
really carries on from "Zone 0 - The interior of the bath or shower",
the shower doesn't have an 'interior', there isn't even a shower
curtain.

Is there some sort of conventional 'size of a shower' which is a
defined horizontal distance from the shower head?

The regs provide a different rule for showers without a tray: Zone 0 is
10 cm up and 1.2m out from a fixed shower head. Zone 1 same radius with
height as for other showers. See eg

https://www.rm-electrical.com/techni...nes-explained/

Excellent, thank you, I thought there must be some sort of rule for
this situation but I couldn't find it. I think the shower installer
may have know it because the shower head (and drain) are just nicely
more than 1.2m from the opposite wall so my heater mounted on the
opposite wall *is* outside zone1.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/12/2020 10:48, Robin wrote:
On 03/12/2020 10:28, Chris Green wrote:
I have just been trying to work out the (electrical) zones for our
wet room and I'm finding it a bit difficult.

The fundamental difficulty is that I can't really see how one decides
(for Zone 2) what is "... beyond zones 0&1, extends 60cm horizontally
and ..." as there is no well defined 'edge' of the shower.Â* This
really carries on from "Zone 0 - The interior of the bath or shower",
the shower doesn't have an 'interior', there isn't even a shower
curtain.

Is there some sort of conventional 'size of a shower' which is a
defined horizontal distance from the shower head?

The regs provide a different rule for showers without a tray: Zone 0 is
10 cm up and 1.2m out from a fixed shower head. Zone 1 same radius with
height as for other showers.Â*Â* See eg

https://www.rm-electrical.com/techni...nes-explained/

Zones in a bathroom? Mad! Might as well ban bathrooms.

--
Max Demian