Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wet Basement, wet carpet

Over the weekend, our sump pump broke and flooded are basement with 4
inches of water. The basement is finished with wall to wall carpeting .
We got all the water out and salavaged most of our furniture. All of
our books on the bottom bookshelves were ruined. Its a complete mess.
And of course Insurance does not cover sump pump failure. So it up to
us to save our beautiful finished basement. Can any one help with
suggestions???
The walls are not wet, we pulled up all the carpet, tossed the padding,
and we are trying to salvage the carpet. We cant afford to buy new
carpet and would hate to have concrete floors!
We had all the carpet on one side of the basement. I mopped the other
side with bleach, trying to kill the smell. That side smelled just
fine, until we moved the carpet.
Now we have laid the carpet in pieces all over the basement, vacumming
with wet dry vac, and using our dirt devil carpet cleaner, Just to soak
up the water. We have portable heaters running and a fan to circulate
the heat. But the carpet is still wet, Not soaking wet, but wet. We
cant seem to vacuum out any more water, it just stays wet. The smell is
unbearable. I want to save this carpet so bad, Can any one help with
suggetions??

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Obviously, carpet in the basement is a mistake. You'd be better off with
painted cement floors, and inexpensive throw rugs in places where you really
need them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Are you in a part of the world where, at this time of year, putting the
carpets outside is not an option? Everything I've heard, though, is
that the smell of mildew is forever.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Almost all insurance repair /salvage companies will have fans that can
be set to blow under the carpet. This dries the carpet from the
underside first. Most of the time the carpet is not affected by this.
You should be able to rent these at a local rental company.

-Lee

Posted to alt.home.repair

Almost all insurance repair /salvage companies will have fans that can
be set to blow under the carpet. This dries the carpet from the
underside first. Most of the time the carpet is not affected by this.
You should be able to rent these at a local rental company.

-Lee

It is raining outside, so taking it out is not an option. It s already
been pulled up and cat into sections so I dont know how we could blow
under the carpet. How many days do you think it can be wet before its
a lost cause??

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...

Almost all insurance repair /salvage companies will have fans that can
be set to blow under the carpet. This dries the carpet from the
underside first. Most of the time the carpet is not affected by this.
You should be able to rent these at a local rental company.

-Lee

It is raining outside, so taking it out is not an option. It s already
been pulled up and cat into sections so I dont know how we could blow
under the carpet. How many days do you think it can be wet before its
a lost cause??

Nobody can know how many days. The longer you ask questions and cut bait and
think about it, the worse it's going to get. Suggestion: There are cleaning
companies that specialize in this sort of thing. Check the yellow pages, or
call your fire department. They may have suggestions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nobody can know how many days. The longer you ask questions and cut bait and
think about it, the worse it's going to get. Suggestion: There are cleaning
companies that specialize in this sort of thing. Check the yellow pages, or
call your fire department. They may have suggestions.

You think I am just sitting around asking questions??? I've been
vacuuming over and over again,
Sanitizing any bare spots and heating this room as much as possible.
There is nothing else I can do right now, While it raining it has to
stay in the basement. SO I am Asking if There is ANY thing else I can
do to help the problem. If I could afford a cleaning a company I would,
BUT it cost tooo Much!!!
I hope it will dry soon, But I cant make it dry any faster.....
Without asking for suggestions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Hello,

I could tell you what to do to save the rug, however since it
is in the basement, i feel i had better not. Nothing wrong
with cement (landscapers call it landscaping). Lots of exotic
plants; water fountain; fire place; large, flat rocks and
pebbles; brick borders with ivy; mirrors; drapes; broad-
spectrum light bulbs over the plants and trees; spot lights;
pretty pictures on the walls; netting with sea creatures,
seaweed and shells; occasional reed/wicker rugs; porch
furniture; statues - use your imagination. Like, man, who
said you have to do it like everybody else. NO PAINT!!! No
paint ANYWHERE!!!! It peels: use ivy. Keep it natural . . .
A nice, rolled dance floor would be elegant and healthy.
Band Stand?
Wall-to-wall aquariam?

Truly

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

Call the fire department. They may have suggestions. I was surprised when I
first found out they'd pump out peoples' basements after floods. Since they
sometimes fill people's basements with water, they may have some advice. A
friend of mine had a brief fire in his kitchen, but it totally filled the
house with cooking smoke. The fire department loaned him some fans that
could take the paint off the walls.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ps.com...

I could tell you what to do to save the rug, however since it
is in the basement, i feel i had better not. Nothing wrong
with cement (landscapers call it landscaping). Lots of exotic
plants; water fountain; fire place; large, flat rocks and
pebbles; brick borders with ivy; mirrors; drapes; broad-
spectrum light bulbs over the plants and trees; spot lights;
pretty pictures on the walls; netting with sea creatures,
seaweed and shells; occasional reed/wicker rugs; porch
furniture; statues - use your imagination. Like, man, who
said you have to do it like everybody else. NO PAINT!!! No
paint ANYWHERE!!!! It peels: use ivy. Keep it natural . . .
A nice, rolled dance floor would be elegant and healthy.
Band Stand?
Wall-to-wall aquariam?

Truly

-What???

I think he's reiterating that carpet in a basement is not such a hot idea,
especially if the house requires a sump pump.

By the way, when the worst is over, you might want to investigate having a
2nd pump in place. Some run with water pressure. If you're on a well and the
power goes off, this won't help you. But, if pump #1 dies, it would help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

By the way, when the worst is over, you might want to investigate having a
2nd pump in place. Some run with water pressure. If you're on a well and the
power goes off, this won't help you. But, if pump #1 dies, it would help.

Maybe it not a good idea,
But I'm from California, and We moved to the mid west 3 years ago, and
I dont know, escuse me, I didn't know anything about sump pumps before.
I guess I was Niave.
We bought a home with a beautiful finished basement that had wall to
wall plush carpeting. We have the home office, game room, gym, and
Family room in the basement. Completely furnished. When we bought home
insurance, our agent told us we didn't need flood insurance because we
didnt live in a flood zone. He never mentioned about buying sump pump
faliure insurance. Now this happened, And were screwed. I'm just
trying to get things back to normal, some how. And Yes I have already
planned on buying the sump pump back up as soon as we get the basement
back together again.
Right now I'm just trying to find any suggestions on how to save the
carpet.
And wouldn't have the water been higher if the carpet hadnt soaked up
so Much of it?? So maybe in a way it helped.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

My ex's house was damaged by ice damming, another issue you might want to
discuss with you NEW insurance agent. She found out she had a policy which
didn't cover ice damming, which is nuts considering the climate here. She
found a new agent who immediately mentioned the issue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Go rent a rug doctor from your local rental place or maybe supermarket.
Or call a carpet cleaning service. Those machines will pull more water
than a shopvac.

Then use a carpet cleaning solution and maybe some additional mold
killer addative .

you wont know if the carpet is salvaged until it is dry .

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

no ..........the carpet did nothing to reduce the depth of the flood,
it anything it wicked the water higher.

A room below grade is subject to flooding by all sorts of water
sources.

The room & it's furnishing must be designed, bought & installed with
that in mind

OR

you must a a redundant system(s) for insuring no flooding.

OR Both

Carpet, in this situation is, generally speaking is a bad idea.

If you really want to save it you've got to do the bleach thing,
heavily........ but that will be very hard on the carpet backing.
Carpet backing is food for mold & mildew.

If it's raining outside you're going to have a hard time drying the
carpet out. You need to get outside air in there & your've got the get
heaters & fans going 24/7. That room has to be hot & vented.

You rinsurance agent ain't much help & what about your real estate
agent as well. This room must have flooded before?

Get ready for the end result.....un-usable carpet...it's gonna be
diffiuclt to save

cheers
Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

A dehumidifier will help

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com,
says...

[...]

BTDTGTTS (been there done that got the t-shirt).

I'm afraid you're screwed as far as the carpet. Last time I had that problem,
ServPro came *within 18 hours* pulled it up and dried it, but there still was
some deterioriation of the backing - but not so much that it couldn't go down
again. It's 10 years later and still OK. But - today's Wednesday and this
happened over the weekend and you're getting that smell? Hello! Sorry, it's
going to the landfill.

You can get sump pump coverage; you can also get "Low-risk" flood insurance if
you're not in a flood plain. That should cover runoff, if that's your basic
water problem. Bought that carpet with flood insurance from a big event two
years earlier, as a matter of fact.

I disagree with those who say carpet in your basement is a no-can-do (although
I've surely joked about having an indoor swimming pool down there!) My
philosophy on it is that you need to address the water problems such that the
house protects you from weather instead of vice versa. Have an engineer assess
your problem, do the gutter changes and re-grading that may be needed outside,
and install french or curtain drains inside and/or outside. Drain the sump by
gravity if at all possible, if not get a generator backup. My B-Dry system has
allowed me to have a nice carpeted usable space down there for 10 years now,
although I'm still doing some regrading and drainage work next year to finally
get the last side of the house fixed for keeping the water away completely
before I replace the walk and re-do landscaping on that side.

Sometimes I regard water as The Enemy around here in clay-soiled upstate New
York.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

Some good suggestions already.
Make a grid, *suspend* the carpet off the floor--after extensive cleaning,
*steam* cleaning, sanitizing, etc.
Heat, fans, *dehumidifier(s)*--or regular window A/C left inside the
room--make sure it doesn't freeze up.
Dehumifiers from Sams Club: $139. I have a couple.
Will make a big, big difference, with the whole space. If you are going to
dehumidify, keep the space closed off.
If not, then well-ventilate it.
Yeah, back up pumps...
Absolutely Vote, for *Anyone BUT* a Democrat or a Republican
Ending Corruption in Congress is the Single Best Way
to Materially Improve Your Life
all d'numbuhs
wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hardly...
You seen the skyscrapers these insurance companies reside in?
The CEO salaries?
The number of people left in the lurch? (Katrina: State Farm,
Nationwide....)
It's called "****ing back".
There are more insurance industry lobbyists in Wash DC than there are
Congress people.
Wake up.
You wanna be honest?
Return the next wallet you find to the poor sucker who lost it, w/o
pocketing the cash first.
Stop steppin&fetchin for rip-off institutions.
Absolutely Vote, for *Anyone BUT* a Democrat or a Republican
Ending Corruption in Congress is the Single Best Way
to Materially Improve Your Life
all d'numbuhs
"Banty" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

On 1 Nov 2006 12:09:25 -0800,
wrote:

Over the weekend, our sump pump broke and flooded are basement with 4
inches of water. The basement is finished with wall to wall carpeting .
We got all the water out and salavaged most of our furniture. All of
our books on the bottom bookshelves were ruined. Its a complete mess.
And of course Insurance does not cover sump pump failure. So it up to
us to save our beautiful finished basement. Can any one help with
suggestions???

The washing machine input valve stuck open. Insurance will cover that.

And we wonder why insurance is so damn expensive and why they give you the
third
degree about any claim.....

Scumbag.

Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , Proctologically Violated©® says...

Hardly...
You seen the skyscrapers these insurance companies reside in?
The CEO salaries?
The number of people left in the lurch? (Katrina: State Farm,
Nationwide....)
It's called "****ing back".
There are more insurance industry lobbyists in Wash DC than there are
Congress people.
Wake up.
You wanna be honest?
Return the next wallet you find to the poor sucker who lost it, w/o
pocketing the cash first.
Stop steppin&fetchin for rip-off institutions.

Standard issue of rationalizations from scumbags. "Everyone does it" "You're
dumb if ya don't" "they're just big rich companies"

Bull****.

Scumbag.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Before you accuse people of rationalizations, you should work on your
reading comprehension.
None of the things you mentioned were the issue.
The issue is: rich institutions that **** the public, their own clientele,
so's they become rich.
When you get ****ed, you have, morally at least, the right to **** back.
Similar to the right to self defense--which is a dicey right indeed, since
so many people who do defend themselves wind up in jail.
Not saying ripping off an insurance company will solve anything,
individually.
And such people could even be scumbags, sorta like people who shoplift from
HD.
But sheeeiit, a person w/ any piece of a working brain can sure *understand*
these actions.

And the problem is that *not enough* people do it. If enough did, mebbe
we'd send the right goddamm message.
What did I read in a sig? Time for another Tea Party?
Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the Single Best Way
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
all d'numbuhs
"Banty" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Get a Rinse N Vac, and go over the carpet with a mild solution of
bleach in addition to the extractor chemicals they provide. Worth a
try.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Creative. Not honest, but creative.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

wrote in message

.. Can any one help with
suggestions???

The washing machine input valve stuck open. Insurance will cover that.

Removable carpet for basement superspongegirl Home Repair 7 December 1st 05 03:02 PM
Best way to finish outside basement door Fr@nk Home Repair 0 April 2nd 05 10:54 PM
Carpet installation barry martin Home Repair 1 October 23rd 04 11:25 AM
Carpet Repair barry martin Home Repair 3 August 16th 04 10:24 PM
Floor choice for walkout basement? FC Home Ownership 0 July 1st 03 03:28 PM