Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] marks542004@yahoo.com is offline

Default Wet Basement, wet carpet

wrote:
Over the weekend, our sump pump broke and flooded are basement with 4
inches of water. The basement is finished with wall to wall carpeting .
We got all the water out and salavaged most of our furniture. All of
our books on the bottom bookshelves were ruined. Its a complete mess.
And of course Insurance does not cover sump pump failure. So it up to
us to save our beautiful finished basement. Can any one help with
suggestions???
The walls are not wet, we pulled up all the carpet, tossed the padding,
and we are trying to salvage the carpet. We cant afford to buy new
carpet and would hate to have concrete floors!
We had all the carpet on one side of the basement. I mopped the other
side with bleach, trying to kill the smell. That side smelled just
fine, until we moved the carpet.
Now we have laid the carpet in pieces all over the basement, vacumming
with wet dry vac, and using our dirt devil carpet cleaner, Just to soak
up the water. We have portable heaters running and a fan to circulate
the heat. But the carpet is still wet, Not soaking wet, but wet. We
cant seem to vacuum out any more water, it just stays wet. The smell is
unbearable. I want to save this carpet so bad, Can any one help with
suggetions??

Go rent a rug doctor from your local rental place or maybe supermarket.
Or call a carpet cleaning service. Those machines will pull more water
than a shopvac.

Then use a carpet cleaning solution and maybe some additional mold
killer addative .

you wont know if the carpet is salvaged until it is dry .