barry martin

Default Carpet installation

Chuck:

CB I am having new carpet installed in 4 rooms on Monday. What are some of
CB the things I need to watch out for? I will be on site and watching and
CB also helping to move furniture from room to room. TIA Chuck B.

The flooring under the pad should be smooth else could create bumps.
The application of the pad itself doesn't matter too much: a bit of a
gap at the seams is OK (no more than 1/8"); orientation of the pad
doesn't matter.

The carpet, if seamed, does need to have the orientation correct. if
done wrong you will see a colour difference as the carpet fibers are
going in different directions. If the carpet is thick enough you can
go without the metal transition bar -- and it looks a lot nicer.

Be sure the carpet is what you ordered! We went with a national
carpet store and twice were given the wrong carpet. First time was my
fault: I'm colour blind and the carpet was the right pattern, just a
few shades darker than the roll in the store we selected. Second one
(a year or two later) was supposed to have 'sparkles' in it but
didn't. It was cloudy on the install day, which may have been why
both of us missed it. (The installation was perfect, just the wrong
carpet.) That store no longer is getting any of our business!

I should also add the first several times you vacuum your new carpet a
lot of loose fibers will be sucked up -- this is normal. In fact it
would be a good idea to pick up a new package of vac bags.

-
¯ barry.martinþATþthesafebbs.zeppole.com ®

* I put my schedule in my back pocket. Guess that's why I'm behind.
---
þ RoseReader 2.52á P003186
þ The Safe BBS þ Bettendorf, IA 563-359-1971
---
þ RIMEGate(tm)/RGXMod V1.13 at BBSWORLD *
Chuck B.

barry martin wrote:
[...]

Thank you. All very good info. I will be watching.